• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best bang for the Buck...

Hello. 1st shotgun owner here.

Im looking for the best 2 3/4 #4 Buck for home defense.

I know I should buy a variety and pattern at my own distances based on the floorplan of residence.

Just thought I would ask for your opinion on which READILY AVAILABLE brand is superior..

I know majority opinion is 00buck is best for HD.. but at the range i will be (very close almost point blank)
the 9 pellets would very likely travel into the neighbors apartment. some say birdshot is lethal at the range I would be. but Im not comfortable depending on that. so a BB shot size or #4 buck is what i think will be best suited for my need. Even though BB probably has less overpenetration potential and im sure it would do the job, the Force and penetration of the #4Buckshot's size is Dependable IMO

If youre lookin for WallyWorld off the shelf, any of the major brands will be about the same.

However, if youre comfortable with online shopping, you may be able to find comparable deals/sales on better ammo!

Places like www.sgammo.com have some pretty good deal when you buy in bulk. Rio makes some affordable 00 buck shot rounds but they certainly don't pattern as tight as say the new federal with flight control.

While I respect opinions...especially from the members of this forum ;) ...I'm a firm believer in testing multiple loads myself in every caliber I carry or intend to use in a self defense situation. This tends to turn into more trigger time as well as lessons learned and a form of entertainment. You can go to every major manufacturer website of say...12 gauge ammo...and read their opinion on how wonderful their magic shell is, but until you feed it through your platform and experience the recoil and see first hand the spread pattern at any given distance or see how it reacts against any target or barrier ( over penetration )...all opinions will be subjective.

So, grab a few opinions, and a few boxes of different loads...and head out to the range. Enjoy the experience and you'll know first hand the effects of any given load. Just my 2 cents...

Your question is double edged.

You should start here http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm Explore this site

No offence but it is my opinion that no one in an apartment should wield a 12 gauge shotgun for HD

Not only will most loads go through average apartment construction at your ranges but if you truly are going to be confronting your intruder at point blank you need a complete different weapon system....again just my $0,000,000.02

Shooter and Oli both make very valid points. Nothin more I can add except to emphasize what both have said.

oli700 said:
No offence but it is my opinion that no one in an apartment should wield a 12 gauge shotgun for HD

Not only will most loads go through average apartment construction at your ranges but if you truly are going to be confronting your intruder at point blank you need a complete different weapon system....again just my $0,000,000.02

What weapon do you suggest for my situation?
No offense taken, I asked for your opinion

Also yes I intend on patterning and testing for my self with various ammo.

One major reason I chose a 12gauge for HD is its simplicity, versatility, effectiveness
Plus I will not be livin in a apt forever

I dont honestly know of a firearm or load that will reliably stop a threat and not over penetrate modern constuction.

There is alot of valuable info on this @ The Box O' Truth.

Texas_Made said:
What weapon do you suggest for my situation?
No offense taken, I asked for your opinion
IMG_0052.jpg

Maybe a .380 or a 9mm with hollow points, keep the shotgun for SHF.....people will say "don’t miss" but there is always an option for failure. Might want to look more on the preventative side of home security too. Like locks, alarms, 911, get to know neighbors too or get then some Kevlar for Christmas :lol:

I have a knife.. Not as big but equally capable.. I'm pretty sure I can take a hand to hand threat with it. But - never bring a knife to a gunfight - kicks in and I'm as good as dead. I actually am interested in buying a 9mm next. Most likely a Glock since that's the only 9 I have any experience with. (a equally priced or lesser priced make/model suggestions?)

just bought the SG first because it's priced less, thus more in my range at the moment. Needed something NIB and reliable. It's my and my wifes first time living alone.

Oh and yes I have looked into alternatives The door is fitted with 1 deadbolt. We have 1 50 pound dog, and our plans include getting 911 on the phone asap

I think Rugers are the best bang for the buck firearm on the market. They make good pistols, usually over built. Smith and Wesson Sigma’s are good price and quality but a wicked trigger pull, in your case not a problem but target shooting it sucks. S&W worked with the police on the Sigma and it is a Glock clone so much so that Glock parts fit the Sigma like springs and things....the Police suggested the heavy trigger. I have a Sigma in 9mm and wasn’t a Glock fan till I got it.
Look into frangible or hollow points. pull till it goes click

Texas_Made said:
- kicks in and I'm as good as dead.
Unless you sit around with a gun on the door you may be dead regardless. If someone kicks in the door guns blazing you could have a mini gun in the corner, good luck getting there....

I'm findin that the FNH is a pretty decent deal too. I believe its the FN P? Theyre right around $580 to $600 NIB. Available in 9mm, .40, and .45.

Back