• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best practice rounds?

VTX

After reading a ton of posts on the best ammo for HD, I will probably go with #1 buck or #4 at the least.
But what is a good round to practice with that won't break the bank and still give a similar result?

If you just want to blow away some targets, any thing will do honestly. If you want to actually practice your HD shooting (hostage targets, testing over penetration, etc) then you really need to use a few boxes of what you plan on shooting so you know what it's limitations are in your weapon.

Sn3aKyGuY said:
If you just want to blow away some targets, any thing will do honestly. If you want to actually practice your HD shooting (hostage targets, testing over penetration, etc) then you really need to use a few boxes of what you plan on shooting so you know what it's limitations are in your weapon.
Ditto!

Practice with what you NEED it for. After that just enjoy. Trap or skeet is good for a moving
target.

ladytech777 said:
Sn3aKyGuY said:
Ditto!

Practice with what you NEED it for. After that just enjoy. Trap or skeet is good for a moving
target.

I got that, and thanks. Just ordered 10 boxes of 50 #0 $8.47 ea. Check it out at Brownells.

I agree with Oli,the Centurion slugs are nice but they are a tad longer than say regular bird shot and the Royal are quite a bit longer. I got both and barely got max. cap. in the mag w/the slugs and one less with the Royal. I just wanted you to be aware of this. I don't use these for HD so I really am not concerned with mag cap.,.

cbshooter said:
I agree with Oli,the Centurion slugs are nice but they are a tad longer than say regular bird shot and the Royal are quite a bit longer. I got both and barely got max. cap. in the mag w/the slugs and one less with the Royal. I just wanted you to be aware of this. I don't use these for HD so I really am not concerned with mag cap.,.

Huh, never had a problem with capacity. wierd

Wow, you guys got it covered before I could get here!

What they said! :D

Well I have. The spring was too long and I think now the Choate ext. looks like it is slightly out of alignment. I just got back from the garage and I put a straight edge on the ext and there seems to be a problem. Will call Mossberg.

At this point I really don't know. I do know the spring was way too long and I still have problems with the Royal fitting 7 in the mag. I cleaned the gun very well before and after shooting and come up with the same results. The good news is I really like the SPX.

how could you not like the SPX, good luck with the mag issue and please let us know

Back