• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best rifled slugs for 590?

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
Looking for some advice. There's a lot of different slug loads out there in 2 3/4 and 3". So who makes the best ones for deer, hog, etc. in a smooth bore 590 20" barrel?

For hog I would go with Brenneke all the way.

Deer, depending on size, would still go Brenneke or Federal Tru-Ball.

If you have never fired a 3" slug load let me tell you it is something you will not soon forget!!!!

I've always stuck with 2-3/4" shells but if I were guiding up in grizzly country you can bet I'd ramp up to the three-inchers!!!

If you feel the urge to buy sabot slugs for shotgun, please dismiss that idea. Stick with foster type or Brenneke.

I've always liked Federal TruBall and Winchester Ranger low recoil (or WinLite). Each have done well for me.

It looks as though there is a new competitor out there though! Our very own Oli, has designed a load and even cast his own slug. It has been independantly tested and chrono'd by our very own NiteSite and found a variation of just one FPS between rounds! It tested at 1366/67 FPS from a 20" gun and grouped nicely! Good luck gettin your hands on some though!

Sooooo... looks like TruBall.

Never heard of Brenneke, so googled and downloaded their catalog. Some of their slugs look like you could take out tank with them! :shock: I did like the comparative pics against other slugs, since they don't look like they'll waste a lot of meat. That's a concern with the small whitetails we have here. I'll have to look around the shops and see if anybody local carries them.

I had looked at Winchester, Federal, RIO, and Remington. All pretty much the same.

While I'm thinking about it, what sights might be available for my 590 Mariner? No rails or anything to mount a ghost ring, etc. I did see a barrel shroud with built in sights on a couple websites. Any good? or will I need to get a gunsmith on the job?

Brenneke.

Barring a total CNS incapacitation shot, nothing puts a whitetail down better than a full pass thru shot. Tension pneumothoracic wound and all that.

Same goes for bad guys.

I have no experience with Brenneke, but I fully trust NiteSites experience.

As far as sights go, there is little available that won't require gunsmithing or at least some practice and/or skill. Something like GRS will likely have to have a base silver soldered to the barrel unless there is an option that would allow drilling and tapping for a newfront sight. If I were going to go that route, i'd perhaps consider rifle sights too.

Another couple options would be to try and order a barrel with the GRS and also get the rear sight base (though it wouldn't match your mariners stainless), or, you could get a receiver rail and a low profile red dot and cheek riser.

I've seen the heatshields (ATI) with GRS. They aren't adjustable from what I understand, so I personally don't see an advantage over a bead sight if you still have to learn your hold on target.

Rossignol said:
I have no experience with Brenneke, but I fully trust NiteSites experience.

As far as sights go, there is little available that won't require gunsmithing or at least some practice and/or skill. Something like GRS will likely have to have a base silver soldered to the barrel unless there is an option that would allow drilling and tapping for a newfront sight. If I were going to go that route, i'd perhaps consider rifle sights too.

Another couple options would be to try and order a barrel with the GRS and also get the rear sight base (though it wouldn't match your mariners stainless), or, you could get a receiver rail and a low profile red dot and cheek riser.

I've seen the heatshields (ATI) with GRS. They aren't adjustable from what I understand, so I personally don't see an advantage over a bead sight if you still have to learn your hold on target.

Thanks. Kinda what I thought about sights, but had to ask. Haven't hunted deer, etc. with a shotgun before, just birds. I reckon I'll just leave it alone and stick with the regular bead. Didn't really want to do any unreversible mod to it anyway.

Y'all are great and thanks for the advice. :mrgreen:

Gunny, is the receiver drilled and tapped? I'm imagining probably not.

GunnyGene said:
Weaver said the converta won't fit. Made for post '97 models.

i can't imagine why,they are made for non drilled receivers. unless the 590 receiver is different???

GunnyGene said:

yup,,,i just looked,,,500 or 835 only. must be something different on the 590 receiver.
sorry gunny. :eek:

old mossy said:
GunnyGene said:

yup,,,i just looked,,,500 or 835 only. must be something different on the 590 receiver.
sorry gunny. :eek:
I think it has to do with the location of the trigger group pin and/or the forward screw on the left side of the receiver. The converta uses those two points to mount it. Found a video on Youtube about it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qysBkcBRBN8

i want to put some ghost ring sights on my old 500A. i'm going to wait till i get a few extra bucks and let a gunsmith do it.

sorry we drifted off topic. :)

I am biased towards Lightfield Ammunition http://litfld.com/wp/ but they are pricey when it comes to slugs. They are the only slugs I use in all of my shotguns and they have never let me down in the field. I like the hybred series because I zero in the slug and can switch between them without having to rezero the gun.

Range-Chart.gif

The Hybred and Commander series explained:

Hybred series:
The Lightfield Hybred series utilizes a pure lead hour glass shaped slug. This is designed for rapid expansion, shedding ALL energy within the width of a whitetail deer sized animals upper body thus keeping. the animal within the sight area. Very rarely exiting the target (animal), the EXP expands too large to penetrate the hide a second time transferring 100% of the retained energy of the slug into the body of the target (animal). In addition, the post/pressure wad is designed to stay with the slug, locked fast forever, to aid in the stabilization increasing the accuracy at greater distances. The sabot is in two parts and surrounds the slug while it is moving down the barrel. Both pieces of the sabot come off the slug less than 20 feet from the muzzle.

Commander IDS PLUS series:
The Lightfield Commander IDS PLUS is a controlled expansion, deep penetration, “Heavy Game” slug intended for game of (300lbs or better), thus the IDS PLUS will normally shoot thru deer size game. Muzzle velocities are greater than the Hybred line as is the size of the slug, 600 grain vs the 546 grain of the Hybred. The IDS PLUS is constructed very similar to the Hybred with the post/pressure wad staying locked to the slug to target impact. Again this design aids in stabilizing the slug during flight eliminating tumble and increasing the accuracy at greater distances. The sabot on the IDS is one piece that surrounds the slug and will not discard until target impact. This design aids in the controlled expansion and deeper penetration.

I have to admit that I will be trying Oli's recipe for his homemade slugs soon.

Dan, I was under the impression the Lightfield wasn't worth using in a smoothbore. So you are saying you have used the Hybred through your cylinder bore guns?

DHonovich said:
I have to admit that I will be trying Oli's recipe for his homemade slugs soon.
Sorry,is there any post about homemade slug shells?I also have some homemade slug shells using the Lee mold.

Back