• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best Self-Defense Round for Shotguns

Sn3aKyGuY

.30-06
Interesting read, makes me all that more itchy to go pattern this Remi Home Defense BB vs the duplex load.

EDIT:
Guess it would help if I actually posted the link! :oops: http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=176

And for you non-link clicky types:
========================================================

Defensive Shotgun Ammo - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

The purpose of this FAQ is to discuss the questions that frequently come up in regards to the defensive use of the shotgun. We will not discuss the best loads for hunting, clays, or other sporting uses, but instead will specifically talk about defensive loads, and even more specifically, loads for home defense.

What is the best defensive ammo?

When considering the defensive use of the shotgun, we want ammunition that will reach the FBI minimum of 12 inches of penetration. This minimum is explained in this section (http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defen ... /index.htm).

The only shotgun ammunition that will consistently reach the FBI minimum of 12 inches penetration is buckshot or slugs.

What is the difference between birdshot and buckshot?

The only difference is in the size and weight of the pellets.

Shot sizes are listed here:

Numbers 9, 8, 7 ½, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, B, and BB are the most common sizes of birdshot, with the larger numbers representing the smallest sized birdshot.

Buckshot comes in sizes #4, 3, 2, 1, 0, 00, and 000 buckshot. Number 4 buck is the smallest, and each size is larger as we go up the list.

0 buck is called "Ought buck", 00 is called "Double ought buck, and 000 is called "Triple ought buck".

Simply put, #4 buckshot and larger is called buckshot. Any pellet size smaller than #4 buckshot is called birdshot.

There is sometimes some confusion, as there are both #4, 3, 2, and 1 birdshot, and #4, 3, 2, and 1 buckshot. But they are not the same, as the buckshot are much larger.

Doesn't buckshot over-penetrate, and doesn't it penetrate too many walls?

Any ammunition that will reach the FBI minimum of 12 inches penetration in ballistic gelatin (and in bad guys), will also penetrate several interior walls in a home. See here: (http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot14.htm)

Until someone invents a phaser, like on Star Trek, any ammunition that will effectively Stop a bad guy, will also penetrate several walls.

Shouldn't we use birdshot, so that it doesn't penetrate several walls?

No, because no birdshot load will reach the required penetration to reach vital organs or the central nervous system. Birdshot makes shallow and gruesome wounds, but it has been shown to be a very poor Stopper.

"Might" birdshot work as a defensive load?

Sure, it "might" and sometimes has worked just fine. But why take the chance with "might work", when "will work" is available? Buckshot is readily available, so why not use the "best" available load?

Would larger birdshot penetrate better than smaller birdshot?

Yes, it will. Penetration is a factor of the mass of each individual pellet, and the larger the individual pellet, the greater the penetration, if the velocity is the same. So, #6 birdshot will penetrate more than #9 birdshot, and so on. But no birdshot will reach the 12 inches of penetration required to be effective.

Wouldn't a load of birdshot "act like" a slug at close range?

No, it will not. For instance, each pellet of #6 shot weighs approximately 1.8 grains. If there are 333 #6 pellets in a shotgun shell, the total weight of the birdshot is 600 grains.

Some folks have mistakenly said, "A load of #6 is like getting shot with a solid piece of lead weighing 600 grains".

But this is not the case. This is because that 600 grain load is composed of 333 individual #6 sized shot, each weighing 1.8 grains. And the penetration of the shot is dependant on the weight of "each pellet", not the total weight. And a 1.8 grain pellet will not penetrate very far into ballistic gelatin or a bad guy.

What about "exotic" shotgun loads?

Loads such as fletchette rounds, wired-buckshot, and other exotic rounds have been tested and they failed to reach the required penetration, or were not an improvement on lead buckshot. They also tend to be very expensive, and do not improve on lead buckshot.

What is the best buckshot for defense?

The best buckshot is #1 buck. This is based upon the number of shot in a shell and the total frontal area impacted by that load. See the http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defen ... /index.htm, and look all the way to the bottom, where this is explained in detail.

What if I can't find #1 buckshot, what is the next best load?

#1 buckshot is sometimes difficult to find, but 00 buckshot is almost as good and is readily available and produced by many manufacturers. Therefore, 00 buckshot is usually the recommended load for defense.

However, as noted by DocGKR, "Pretty much any buckshot from 1 to 000 works just fine––figure out what works best in your weapon, purchase enough for practice and field/duty use, get extensive shotgun training from a good instructor, then stop worrying about specific loads, as it just doesn't matter that much."

Why not use slugs for home defense?

Slugs are very effective rounds in a shotgun, but for home defense, they have the problem of being great over-penetrators. They will go completely through a bad guy and still have enough energy to do damage on the other side of him. They penetrate more than is needed to be effective Stoppers. Buckshot is a better load for home defense.

What is the effective range of buckshot?

Buckshot is effective from the muzzle to around 40 yards. It can be effective further, but most loads will have problems with the pattern opening up too much past that range, and many of the buckshot will miss the target. Since we are responsible for every projectile that goes down range, we do not want any of the buckshot to miss the target. Tighter patterns are desirable.

What is the effective range of slugs?

Slugs can increase the effective range of a shotgun to around 80 to 100 yards. If a scope is used, they can be effectively accurate at even longer ranges.

Sabot slugs (pronounced say-bow) are slugs designed to be used with rifled shotgun barrels and can extend the range even farther.

Do I want large or tight patterns with buckshot?

Tight patterns are desired because we want all of the buckshot to impact the target. And projectiles that miss the target will continue down range, and will cause us to violate Firearms Safety Rule #4 - Be sure of your target and what lies beyond it.

Isn't a wide pattern an "advantage" of using a shotgun?

No, it is not. It is a definite advantage when hunting and wing-shooting birds with birdshot. But when used for home defense, we do not want any projectiles to miss the target, and this requires tight patterns. Buckshot does not "act like one slug". Therefore, even if the pattern is tight, the individual buckshot will each create its own wound channel when it impacts the target.

Man, I just saw a bunch of the HD BB... I meant to grab some! I wonder if its the same as the SP BB in the OD green hull?

I just spent the better part of 10 hours reading one article to the next via clicking on links. I initially started looking on how to load a single round into a Glock at 0600 when I got here and ended up on WarriorTalk for a while then so on and so forth. 2 more hours to go and I can go home and play with my son for a few hours before bedtime and just maybe have a little capt'n and coke to top off my night. These 12 hour day shifts suck. Nothing like watching the sun rise and set all in the same shift. /end rant

Oh, you're welcome :D Always happy to contribute.

Sneaky, thanks for cross posting that info! Good read man!!!

Oh! Federal is said to be producing a Self Defense load of #1 buck with in a FliteControl load! If/when that happens, I'll def be getting some to try out, otherwise, my preferred load has been and will continue to be the 00 FC from Federal!

I've yet to get my hands on some FliteControl rounds. Maybe this week I can go out ... like I've been saying for the last 5 weeks

Just came back from wally with 3 boxes of the wrong type of shells. Should have read this before shopping. I guess I'll be doing a lot of practicing. A good thing.
I bought #6, 4, and 00. At least I got one box right.

VTX said:
Just came back from wally with 3 boxes of the wrong type of shells. Should have read this before shopping. I guess I'll be doing a lot of practicing. A good thing.

Its cool! Me and my daughter do alot of target shooting with #7 1/2 bird shot, even #4... Good stuff to get the bead on target and start breakin clays or whatever you got! Coffee cans and milk jugs full of water are fun to blow!

VTX said:

same here. mine always has the 4 loaded on it. time to
ditch the 4s and stick with the 00 i guess.

I suppose that since you pasted the text here, it's probably up for some discussion from us.

So, I'm going to discuss a few things.

In all, it was well written and it shows the author has time behind the trigger. I immediately respected that.

But to say birdshot lacks penetration enough to kill at short range, I don't necessarily agree with. I'll say that it isn't ideal for SD, and I wouldn't personally want to use it but a shot going off at your melon at short range, will do more than ruin your day.

Just one recent case in point (also has a video link that it would help to watch) http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/met ... 52958.html

As for the effective distances the author gave for reference, are not written in stone. I have seen a great number of shotguns over the years that will shoot a lot farther and more accurately than he stated. Barrel, barrel length, choke, load, they all have to do with it.

I may like the low recoil hornady OO better than the Federal LE OO because I know it flat shoots in my 500, but that's not saying the Federal isn't good for anyone else in their gun.

So, get a couple different boxes of ammo and try them in YOUR gun to see what IT likes the best. That's the only way you'll be able to tell what's going to work in the real world.

+1 I agree with every point you made, but I think the goal of the article was to cover the best option for the new hd/sd shooter as a place to start.

Another thing I saw that wasn't wrong but wasn't worded right was you need a scope to shoot longer distances. While it helps its been seen many times people using bead or rifle sights out to 200 yards. Overall some good info though.

Sn3aKyGuY said:
+1 I agree with every point you made, but I think the goal of the article was to cover the best option for the new hd/sd shooter as a place to start.

Overall, I think he did a good job of it.

Another thing I saw that wasn't wrong but wasn't worded right was you need a scope to shoot longer distances. While it helps its been seen many times people using bead or rifle sights out to 200 yards. Overall some good info though.

Although shooting a slug out to 200 yards may be somewhat do-able, I don't think I could. At least not with repeatability. But that's just me. Some other guys may can just fine.

Most of my hunting is within about 50 yards, and I do feel comfortable at that. Farther only if I have to but hunting and defending myself are 2 totally different things and I can usually stalk pretty well if not in a stand

I have used a 4 reticle sight on my shotgun for a long time. And I really like the circle dot like a small eotech the best. But I also learned how to use a bead at an early age and I can usually hold my own with them too. I guess the main reason I use it on that gun is the ATI stock doesn't allow me the cheekweld to see the bead. So, I had to do something and that was it.

But one of the few things I have learned over the years is a weapon light is invaluable for a SD/HD gun.

If it is mounted right and used correctly, at room distances, if it's lit, it's hit. That's the only way I know how to say it.

And you can't hit what you can't see.

So if you have never fired a weapon at night without a light, try it sometime. With all your guns.

I can gaurantee you'll have a whole new outlook on what is important on a gun that you may use to protect yourself or your family with.

John A. said:
I have used a 4 reticle sight on my shotgun for a long time. And I really like the circle dot like a small eotech the best. But I also learned how to use a bead at an early age and I can usually hold my own with them too. I guess the main reason I use it on that gun is the ATI stock doesn't allow me the cheekweld to see the bead. So, I had to do something and that was it.

I haven't got to go put any rounds down range since installing my ATI stock, but just dry firing I did notice it's more work to get a good sight alignment with the stock bead. That's why I want to go to ghost rings for home and a red dot for hunting.

Have you seen the ATI heatshield that has sights built in?

Later on down the road, I would like to put a Cavalry Arms buttstock adapter so the stock is more in line with the barrel and Hogue rubberized grip, Magpul Moe buttstock and rig up some kind of long rail the length of the barrel so I can use a set of magpul BUIS with my optic.

I know all of that sounds like a lot of tactical kool-aid, but I've been shooting AR's for a very long time and I like the ergonomics of them. True that it won't exactly make the scattergun shoot any better than it already does, but I think it would be better for me.

I <3 the magpul backup sights. I wouldn't mind trying to put a 3-4 inch rain on the front of the barrel and a full length section on the receiver, but I don't know if I could get down with a rail the entire length of the 500. It sounds like a fun build though.

I have been looking at the ATI heat shield w/ grs, and I'll probably go that route if I decide to pass on the LPA sights, I just worry about its ability to stay in one spot. I could see the entire heat shield getting knocked/rotated to the left or right.

I was thinking more along the lines of tig welding a short steel rail to the barrel, provided I could find one thick enough to be the same height as the reciever rail.

I know Mount Solutions Plus (Arms) make steel rail blanks that I think would work.

But I'm just thinking out loud at the moment.

You guys mention some good stuff, and have echoed my thoughts. I think the article is written like many others in generalizitions. I seriously dont recommend birdshot, but I'm certain it can mess someone up. Although Cheneys hunting buddy came through ok, at point blank it may do the trick.

Here are a couple things though;
As the author mentions, birdshot is a maybe, when known reliable loads are available.
Also, at point blank range, youre in danger of loosing your firearm. I personally dont have retention training and that may be something to give some thought to.

John, otherwise totally agree. Load, barrel, choke, etc... Know your load of choice in the specific gun its intended to be used in as it affects effective range and pattern.

Oh! On the barrel length rail, someone makes one... cant remember who though at the moment.

Aimtech makes one named the warhammer, but I don't think I would be able to get it to work with the Cav arms buttstock that I want to use.

If that's the one you're thinking about.

And I'm not advocating using birdshot as a self defense load. Nor 22LR now that I'm thinking about it either, but I linked the article above to show that stranger things have happened.

Back