• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Better half cleaning her 702 for the first time.

OK, so I am obviously NOT the best teacher when it comes to family. We managed to get her 702 apart (MUCH easier than my 715T) for the first cleaning. This was her first cleaning of a weapon in who knows how long. She did good with the dis-assembly. Had a couple of bumps cleaning, but nothing we could not work thru. The 702 was much cleaner when shipped than my 715. RE-assembly was an adventure. She was having issues getting the recoil spring back in. Unfortunately, we managed to bend the spring. After taking a couple of hours to regroup, I sat back down and managed to get the spring back into some image that looked like the original. She got the Plinkster re-assembled and it seem to be cycling fine dry. Will have to wait and see how the spring hold out.
We checked the Internet to try and order a couple of recoil springs to ahve on hand as spares. Most of the on-line dealers are out of stock, so it looks like Amazon or ebay might be the best choice.
After reading several of the posts, it seems tha the recoil spring is a point at which several folks have had issues with the 702/715. Is this also an issue with the .223 MMR? Looking down the road, that will probably be my next long rifle purchase.
Will hopefully get word from the local club so we can go shooting this weekend.

Just took down a 702 myself for the first time this weekend. The manual is light in a few areas - most of it is basic rifle logic but the recoil spring buffer danced out of position as I pulled the trigger and receiver. Finding the proper seat position was a bit of a puzzle for me. Pretty sure I have it but if I have to make a change at the range it will be simple now. I do look for key spares and a spring or two look like good items to have on hand.

Welcome!

Back