• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Browning Auto 5/Rem 11 repair question

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Evening folks.

I have a question about a Remington model 11 semi auto.

A friend of mine is wanting to get one from his brother. It's an old one. From the serial number made late 1927, maybe early 1928.

Anyway, here is a schematic. The part I am asking about is part # 54 safety sear. I understand what part #52 and #53 does in relation to part #54 (which were also missing) but part 54 is mostly what I am confused about.
Remington_11_schem.jpg

Anyway, the one my buddy brought up this evening, was clear that it had never been taken apart and cleaned. It was absolutely terrible inside of it. The fouling was so caked that it CRUMBLED when I pulled the trigger group out.

Speaking of the trigger group, it had a different serial number than the receiver, about 250 higher than the receiver serial number, which makes me wonder if the one he had may had possibly been a service weapon at one time or if maybe Remington just didn't care if they matched or ????.

Anyway, the bolt was initially locked in the open position and wouldn't move forward. When I removed the buttstock, part#54 simply fell out when I got the stock pulled rearward and when it did, the bolt slammed home and almost took off my ring finger with it.

OUCH (*@#&$

Part #54 had somehow lodged itself between the bolt and the fire control group. (That's what had it locked up)

Long story short, we cleaned it and got it all back together (without #54) and it function checked and worked just fine without it.

I know he can get the replacement parts for about $10 if he needs it, but I was curious if it was even necessary or needed.

It seemed to be 100% functional in all aspects without it. The hammer and sear was working just fine, the bolt cycled by hand almost effortlessly, etc.

So, I'm trying to ask if anyone has any experience with these and the purpose of the "safety sear" because everything was 100% functional without it and I'm at a loss.

I even watched some youtube videos (one of which was a 3d function video) and I couldn't figure out what the part was for. Other than a mechanical arm to ensure the sear/disconnect grabbed the hammer, although the sear/disconnect was functioning properly without it.

I would have to see it together but it looks like it holds tension on something like the safety button ot sear in case it gets dropped it all stays and no discharge ?

The little spring and pin it's missing looks as if they would function the same as an AR detent.

But I don't know about part #54

to me it looks like a flat spring that holds tension on something, it looks like it interacts with #28

Back