• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Buckshot

Joe57

.270 WIN
Hey guys, I poked around online a little bit and I haven't quite found what I need. I figure one of ya'll can probably point me in the right direction.

I'm wanting some fairly tight patterning 00 buck for a class the weekend after this one. The only stuff I've used/took the time to pattern before is this stuff:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121561 ... s-box-of-5

Which I'm sure ya'll know is pretty stellar, especially when I was comparing it to Winchester SuperX 00 9 pellet. LGS doesn't have much of a selection and I don't feel like driving an hour and a half to Cabela's so I'm looking to just order something online probably.

Anybody have any experience with any of these?:(Namely the top 2 on the page)
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php ... 4-buckshot

Any input is appreciated.

Oh and the platform is an 18.5 M500

Joe57 said:
Hey guys, I poked around online a little bit and I haven't quite found what I need. I figure one of ya'll can probably point me in the right direction.

I'm wanting some fairly tight patterning 00 buck for a class the weekend after this one. The only stuff I've used/took the time to pattern before is this stuff:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121561 ... s-box-of-5

Which I'm sure ya'll know is pretty stellar, especially when I was comparing it to Winchester SuperX 00 9 pellet. LGS doesn't have much of a selection and I don't feel like driving an hour and a half to Cabela's so I'm looking to just order something online probably.

Anybody have any experience with any of these?:(Namely the top 2 on the page)
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php ... 4-buckshot

Any input is appreciated.

Oh and the platform is an 18.5 M500

Federal has some with a shot cup that will help with patterning. Look for the "Flight Control" shells. http://www.federalpremium.com/products/ ... spx?id=516

GunnyGene is right about mentioning the Federal FliteControl which you said you have already shot and are familiar with. But your deadline is right around the corner and time is critical.

The second link you showed lists some really crappy stuff.
But it shows ammo in stock.

Of the choices you linked at AmmoToGo the Federal Power Shok 25-rd pack is BY FAR better than just about anything else on that entire page. While it won't shoot anywhere close to the small patterns the FliteControl would, if your fellow classmates are shooting the other stuff they bought on that web page you'll be well ahead of them.

And I would buy every bit you possibly can at the price they currently show for IN STOCK Federal Power Shok buffered American made buckshot. That stuff is priced as low as it was five years ago, so BUY UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would try the federal as well.

Long term you can get your barrel drilled for choke tubes. (OFM, REM or other).

nitesite said:
And I would buy every bit you possibly can at the price they currently show for IN STOCK Federal Power Shok buffered American made buckshot. That stuff is priced as low as it was five years ago, so BUY UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the slight thread hijack, I might just do that. Thanks for the advice.

I noticed they also have some of that Olin/Win military 00 buck surplus overun stuff. Supposedly the same exact thing issued to US and other armed forces around the world. Out of my 18.5 incher 500 at about 7 yards it was printing about 7 to 8 inches it seemed. Sadly I didn't measure anything like I should have the other day, just eyeballed it.

For the price I was expecting better but my bud did comment that shotgun is used in a very limited role in actual combat and in this case milspec doesn't exactly equate to better than whats out there in the civilian world. Makes sense. I'm curious to try some of this flite control wadded stuff everyone always talks about myself too.

jgwills said:
nitesite said:
I noticed they also have some of that Olin/Win military 00 buck surplus overun stuff. Supposedly the same exact thing issued to US and other armed forces around the world. Out of my 18.5 incher 500 at about 7 yards it was printing about 7 to 8 inches it seemed. Sadly I didn't measure anything like I should have the other day, just eyeballed it.

For the price I was expecting better but my bud did comment that shotgun is used in a very limited role in actual combat and in this case milspec doesn't exactly equate to better than whats out there in the civilian world. Makes sense. I'm curious to try some of this flite control wadded stuff everyone always talks about myself too.

Your friend is exactly right. "used by my military" or "Milspec" is a good marketing tool lol. Usually there is much better stuff for the money. Not to say its bad stuff, but generally speaking don't pay more just because its "milspec"

The Flitecontrol stuff works wonderfully if you can find any. I usually had trouble finding it before the current market even. Hence why I'm settling on something else

I just ordered some of that Federal PowerShok. I guess I will see how it does.

Are ya'll having problems finding Buckshot in your areas? Theres tons of it around here but like I said, its various brands of stuff that I have used before and just know I wouldn't prefer for this application or geographically undesireable.

Thanks for the insight guys.

Anybody ever use RIO's 00? There are hands down my favorite birdshot brand especially for my 930

Joe57 said:
jgwills said:
nitesite said:

Your friend is exactly right. "used by my military" or "Milspec" is a good marketing tool lol. Usually there is much better stuff for the money. Not to say its bad stuff, but generally speaking don't pay more just because its "milspec"

The Flitecontrol stuff works wonderfully if you can find any. I usually had trouble finding it before the current market even. Hence why I'm settling on something else

I just ordered some of that Federal PowerShok. I guess I will see how it does.

Are ya'll having problems finding Buckshot in your areas? Theres tons of it around here but like I said, its various brands of stuff that I have used before and just know I wouldn't prefer for this application or geographically undesireable.

Thanks for the insight guys.

Anybody ever use RIO's 00? There are hands down my favorite birdshot brand especially for my 930

I bought some Rio Royal 00 buckshot from Cabela's for $3.99 for 5 rounds. It doesn't have any flitecontrol and the shells are a little bit longer than 2 3/4" so I have load one less shell in my shotgun. I've never had any issues and they alway go boom when I pull the trigger. I bought a bunch and use them for the gun range.

I bought some Rio Royal 00 buckshot from Cabela's for $3.99 for 5 rounds. It doesn't have any flitecontrol and the shells are a little bit longer than 2 3/4" so I have load one less shell in my shotgun. I've never had any issues and they alway go boom when I pull the trigger. I bought a bunch and use them for the gun range.

I have Rio 00 and #4buck. Easy to get here, and the price is right, but yeah it does spread out fast from a cylinder bore. I think the lead is softer than other brands also, which would aggravate the spread due to deformation when fired.

Ditto the loadup quantity, but some other brands are the same - Brenneke slugs for example.

Rio/Royal 00 buck construction…..the shot is almost as soft as pure lead.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1864

This was from cut from the VCS thread.
It shows before and after using RIO 00 Buck, the stock barrel pictures are what I was getting before barrel work from a cylinder bore 500......that being said I could ring a 10 inch gong with them at 40 yards more times than not, most the pellets ended up in my target stand though

oli700 said:
The targets are 12"x12" for both types of targets

10 yards, stock barrel
IMG_0007.jpg

VCS
IMG_0324.jpg

15 yards, stock
IMG_0008.jpg

VCS
IMG_0325.jpg

20 yards, stock
IMG_0009.jpg

VCS
IMG_0326.jpg

Thanks Oli, I just picked up another 500 mostly just for this class since it had to be pump and I wanted another project shotgun and I was debating weather or not to have the forcing coned lengthened or simply just get it threaded like my 930.

I picked up some Rio 00 as well as the Federal Powershok I ordered, I'm going to try and get to the range this week and pattern a few different loads myself.

Joe57 said:
I picked up some Rio 00 as well as the Federal Powershok I ordered, I'm going to try and get to the range this week and pattern a few different loads myself.

Please let us know of your results!!! :)

Like when UPS brings something for me at work. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to pattern these this weekend...

Attachments

• IMAG0712 (250 x 141).jpg
    IMAG0712 (250 x 141).jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 433
  • IMAG0713 (600 x 338).jpg
    IMAG0713 (600 x 338).jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 433
Are the Fiocchi rounds 2 3/4"? I have also bought some Noble Sport #4 and 00 buckshot rounds and they are a bit longer like the Rio Royal 00 buckshot so I had to under load by one here as well.

Tony617! said:
Are the Fiocchi rounds 2 3/4"? I have also bought some Noble Sport #4 and 00 buckshot rounds and they are a bit longer like the Rio Royal 00 buckshot so I had to under load by one here as well.

fiochhi 00 buck,1325fps are 2 3/4" (actual length is 2 1/4")

Joe57 said:
Thanks Oli
Anytime Joe. Cool that you picked up the 500, can’t have too many good shotguns.
As far as the 00 buck, what kind of performance do you need for the training ?

oli700 said:
Joe57 said:
Thanks Oli
Anytime Joe. Cool that you picked up the 500, can’t have too many good shotguns.
As far as the 00 buck, what kind of performance do you need for the training ?

Well its pretty much just B27 type targets(actually a slightly reduced variant) at 7,10,15 and 25 yards. Ammunition requirement is 2 3/4" 0 or 00. Its a pretty basic course and qual, it just had me thinking about the last time I actually put buckshot on paper which was Winchester SuperX 00 2 3/4 and some Federal Flitecontrol out of the same model, but different shotgun. I will be fine with what I ordered, it just got me thinking about it all the different loads out there and what would be the most consistently performing at those ranges.

Joe,

I hope you noticed in my first post in this thread I actually stated that the list had "some" crappy stuff. I certainly didn't mean that it was "all" crappy stuff. About half on that list I could find very disappointing but the other stuff is certainly capable of performing well for the training you are attending. I gave my opinion on what I believe was the top choice but at the ranges you mention you'll be fine with all but the poorest of the bunch.

FliteControl is nice at times but it's basically an expensive slug round at seven and ten yards and is totally unnecessary when training at shorter ranges.

I hope I didn't create any misunderstanding.

Back