• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Buckshot

nitesite said:
And in an ammo can no less!
Sweet!
Yeah, the can will come in handy. Hope to get some time to shoot these rounds soon.

Tony617! said:
Are the Fiocchi rounds 2 3/4"? I have also bought some Noble Sport #4 and 00 buckshot rounds and they are a bit longer like the Rio Royal 00 buckshot so I had to under load by one here as well.
Yup. Haven't tried loading them yet. Got home quite late last night. Trying to figure out how to get more people to show for our archery tournaments...maybe the winner gets a box of these? LOL...

nitesite said:
I hope I didn't create any misunderstanding.

Not at all, I was just asking for people's preferences really. I'm no ammo snob, I just was curious about what other people's experiences with those loads were.

OhioArcher said:
Trying to figure out how to get more people to show for our archery tournaments...maybe the winner gets a box of these? LOL...

Offer a box of 9mm or .45 ACP as a prize?

Joe57 said:
OhioArcher said:
Trying to figure out how to get more people to show for our archery tournaments...maybe the winner gets a box of these? LOL...

Offer a box of 9mm or .45 ACP as a prize?

Or a hundred rounds of .22 Long Rifle :lol:

Found some Hornady TAP 00 Buckshot in stock at PrecisionRifleSupply.com. Ordered 10 boxes at $4.50/ea - 50 rounds total.

http://www.precisionriflesupply.com..._Gauge_00_Buck_Semi_A_p/mg-hornadytap12ga.htm

Unfortunately, this is the bare bones buckshot, not with the VersaTite wad, at least according to the pics on the site. Either way, I imagine it's still fantastic buckshot. I also have 10 rounds of the Federal Vital-Shok w/FliteControl Wad in 3" coming my way.

I typically like to stick to one flavor of ammo and stock up on it but these both got such great reviews I figured there was no harm in picking them up while I have the cash.

Anyway, figured I'd post up in case anybody was interested in the TAP rounds on the site.

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

nitesite said:
FliteControl is nice at times but it's basically an expensive slug round at seven and ten yards and is totally unnecessary when training at shorter ranges.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a solid slug if it doesn't break up at all in the tissue then you have a solid mass of lead coming out the other end and very minimal slowdown. With a tight wad of buckshot at least the lead is already broken up into 9 individual pieces instead of one solid mass. Yes they all add up to just over an ounce going in and hit as if a solid mass but wouldn't they immediately have a tendency to breakup quite a bit in tissue? Or does the flitecontrol wad do a pretty good job keeping them intact even in a person/deer/etc...? I would think 9 pieces should loose more momentum as each pellet weighs a fraction of what one solid mass weighs going in?

Sorry if I'm way off the mark here in my thought process. Please correct me if I am. Just trying to understand it myself correctly.

The way I see it the way you see it, and that is the exact reason as you go down in shot size you have less and less penetration at a given distance

I think even if the shot is in the wad when it hits tissue they separate and the pellets take separate paths through the tissue....I haven’t shot very many FC rounds, I know they look like a slug when you shoot paper and cardboard with them, my shotgun never did shoot them that well as far as the pattern and after I had the VCS it didn’t improve them at all, not like the cheaper ammo and my hand loaded buck.

jgwills said:
nitesite said:
FliteControl is nice at times but it's basically an expensive slug round at seven and ten yards and is totally unnecessary when training at shorter ranges.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a solid slug if it doesn't break up at all in the tissue then you have a solid mass of lead coming out the other end and very minimal slowdown. With a tight wad of buckshot at least the lead is already broken up into 9 individual pieces instead of one solid mass. Yes they all add up to just over an ounce going in and hit as if a solid mass but wouldn't they immediately have a tendency to breakup quite a bit in tissue? Or does the flitecontrol wad do a pretty good job keeping them intact even in a person/deer/etc...? I would think 9 pieces should loose more momentum as each pellet weighs a fraction of what one solid mass weighs going in?

Sorry if I'm way off the mark here in my thought process. Please correct me if I am. Just trying to understand it myself correctly.

Unless you have a slug that breaks up into 3 large pieces. Not sure how well it works but Winchester makes a segmenting slug:

http://www.winchester.com/products/...ve/PDX1-Defender-Shotshell/Pages/default.aspx

I was trying to illustrate that for training on paper targets the hole in the target is virtually the same with FliteControl buckshot as there is with a slug. You can completely miss at 5- or 7-yards with FliteControl or a slug on things like head shots on a B-27. Less likely to have a complete miss with traditional buckshot loads.

In tissue a good soft slug often breaks up into several large fragments. Check out the TruBall 1600-fps slug load here

http://le.atk.com/wound_ballistics/load ... rison.aspx

nitesite said:
I was trying to illustrate that for training on paper targets the hole in the target is virtually the same with FliteControl buckshot as there is with a slug. You can completely miss at 5- or 7-yards with FliteControl or a slug on things like head shots on a B-27. Less likely to have a complete miss with traditional buckshot loads.

In tissue a good soft slug often breaks up into several large fragments. Check out the TruBall 1600-fps slug load here

http://le.atk.com/wound_ballistics/load ... rison.aspx

As a newbie, thanks for posting that link - very beneficial! Wish Hornady had an interface like that.

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Whether or not the individual buck shot will break apart themselves isn't all that likely but will depend on velocity and what the shot is cast from and soft tissue/hard target impacts... but regardless the individual pellets will certainly shed energy faster then a single slug itself, both in the air and in a target....

The biggest thing to consider with multiple impacts close together or outright the same spot like with a close quarters versatite/flight control load is the fact that they maybe travel down the same wound channel and have deeper penetration because of this.

I fired about 70 rounds of that Federal Powershok last Saturday. It consistently kept all 9 pellets inside the Q at 15 yards so that makes it a consistently 12 inch or smaller spread at 15 yards.

I ran a few rounds of RIO Royal 00 throughout the day and I was getting about 15 inches at 15 yards consistently, I wasn't getting any fliers though so that wasn't bad.

The Federal PowerShok seemed a bit more comfortable to shoot for some reason even though they are technically the same load I think, but I suppose thats the same as 2.75'' being 2.75" in a different brand.

I hereby recommend this as a good round at a good price:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_i ... 4-buckshot

Thanks, Joe for a really good review.

I am glad that you were not disappointed with either load. Some of the listings you previously mentioned would have performed rather poorly so I am glad you stuck with the better stuff.

Joe57 said:
I fired about 70 rounds of that Federal Powershok last Saturday. It consistently kept all 9 pellets inside the Q at 15 yards so that makes it a consistently 12 inch or smaller spread at 15 yards.

I ran a few rounds of RIO Royal 00 throughout the day and I was getting about 15 inches at 15 yards consistently, I wasn't getting any fliers though so that wasn't bad.

The Federal PowerShok seemed a bit more comfortable to shoot for some reason even though they are technically the same load I think, but I suppose thats the same as 2.75'' being 2.75" in a different brand.

I hereby recommend this as a good round at a good price:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_i ... 4-buckshot

You can actually order Federal rounds again. I haven't been find any Federal rounds for a while. That's why I take either Nobel Sport #4 buckshot or Rio Royal 00 buckshot to the gun range right now. I do have some Federal XM127 00 buckshot rounds but I keeping them for HD.

Back