• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Carbine length barrel made my cheap PPU ammo expand (w/pic)

Tom396

.30-06
I have shot .40 cal. PPU JHP rounds out of a S&W M&P previously, to test penetration. These are super cheap rounds, considering they are hollow point. I have seen a couple of youtube videos of them being tested, and those folks got the same results I did. The rounds shed their jacket in the first milk jug and the remaining lead passed through five more jugs and I could never recover the rounds.

Today, I wanted to try out some new Federal 155 grain HST rounds, out of my Hi Point carbine. These rounds seem to feed pretty good through the Hi Point, and I wanted to see how they penetrated and expanded. They expanded beautifully and stopped in the third milk jug. In the bottom photo, it is the round on the far left.

Then, just for the heck of it, I thought I would try one of the PPU rounds. I lined up seven milk jugs and backed that up with a log. I figured it would do what it had done out of the handgun. Um, no. Not at all! The round stopped in the third jug. Yes, the jacket had peeled off in the first jug (as it did from a handgun), but it had expanded. Not pretty, like a premium JHP, but it DID expand. It is the recovered round in the center, along with the pieces of jacket from the first jug. I tried it again, to make sure it was not a fluke. That is the round to the far right. Apparently, the extra velocity generated in the longer barrel caused it to expand.

Lastly, I fired a Tulammo FMJ round into the same seven jugs and wood backing. I had recently chronographed these rounds, and found they go pretty darned slow...subsonic slow. Well, that round went through all seven jugs and penetrated too far into the log to recover it.

.40%20expansion_zps8cpesbed.jpg

Take care. Tom Worthington

And you have discovered why I like pistol caliber carbines.

The extra barrel length adds velocity to it. Anytime you see written on a pistol caliber box of ammo "x" feet per second, that was done with a barrel, typically no longer than 5 inches.

Add to that, and you will get more, better, performance out of it.

I still need to test 38 special, 357 magnum from 16 inch barrels to see what they get, and I have a bunch of 9mm carbines that need to test the velocities of as well ranging from 5-1/2 to 16 inch barrels and numerous lengths in between.

Just water, correct? Makes me wonder how sticky Hickok 45 is by the end of one of his videos... :D

Yes, just water. :)

By the way, this is a youtube of the same rounds being tested out of a handgun. When I shot them out of a handgun, I had exactly the same experience. No expansion and no stopping that sucker.

Take care. Tom Worthington

cover that jug with fabric or drywall then conduct that test.....you will see why HST is superior out of any length barrel and why a not very well designed hollow point will almost always plug and not expand in real world situations.

And you have discovered why I like pistol caliber carbines.
you would really like a rifle caliber carbine then, they do everything better , pistol ammo belongs in things you can hide and carry on your hip:nana:

cover that jug with fabric or drywall then conduct that test.....you will see why HST is superior out of any length barrel and why a not very well designed hollow point will almost always plug and not expand in real world situations.

you would really like a rifle caliber carbine then, they do everything better , pistol ammo belongs in things you can hide and carry on your hip:nana:

Yeah. It might not work with some sort of cloth over the water jug. Still, it was pretty surprising. I was actually convinced it was going to do the same thing it did out of the shorter barrel, til I actually tried it...maybe even more so. Take care. Tom Worthington

Yeah. It might not work with some sort of cloth over the water jug. Still, it was pretty surprising. I was actually convinced it was going to do the same thing it did out of the shorter barrel, til I actually tried it...maybe even more so. Take care. Tom Worthington
always fun performing hillbilly ballistics testing......always

My 9mm and 22LR suppressed uppers are still plenty lethal, and more (better) quiet than the blackout.

And to my knowledge, any ammunition that is or can be fired in a handgun (including 223 ar pistols) is classified as a pistol cartridge according to the ATF.

:wow:

Back