• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Chopped my 28" barrel tonight.

I think it came out pretty well for my first time. I had to cut it at about 19 3/4 due to the location of the vent ribs. I will be bluing the end this weekend. Not sure if I will reinstall the bead.
003.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

Nice machine work. Be interesting to see how it patterns at 10 and 25yds with some heavy buck.
Are you planning to choke it?

I used a hack saw to cut the barrel. For finishing I used a fine flat file, a rat tail file, a finishing stone, and some 400 grit wet/dry paper.
I may choke it later on when the funds are available. And yes, it is an HD gun. I will be going to the range this weekend so I will let you know how it patterns.

I bought this Maverick locally. Previous owner had performed a similar "hack" ;) job to 18.5" or so. I cleaned it up a little bit and put a crown in the tube with a hand deburring tool. A quick touch-up with a Markie hid most of the sin. :twisted:

I pulled the ATI stock off for future use and put the pistol grip on. One good thing about the rib is that it is easy to drill and mount another sight without worrying about bore intrusion. Someone made me an offer that allowed me to break even (and end up with a "free" ATI stock :) ) so I took it...

Attachments

• 88ati.jpg
    88ati.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,005
  • 88pistole.jpg
    88pistole.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,005
Bobster wrote: "Previous owner had performed a similar "hack" job to 18.5" or so."

=====================================

His name wasn't Randy Weaver...was it ?! ;)

Bobster said:
I bought this Maverick locally. Previous owner had performed a similar "hack" ;) job to 18.5" or so. I cleaned it up a little bit and put a crown in the tube with a hand deburring tool. A quick touch-up with a Markie hid most of the sin. :twisted:

I pulled the ATI stock off for future use and put the pistol grip on. One good thing about the rib is that it is easy to drill and mount another sight without worrying about bore intrusion. Someone made me an offer that allowed me to break even (and end up with a "free" ATI stock :) ) so I took it...

I may get a pistol grip for mine too. I will definitely be changing out the wood furniture for synthetic either way.

Very nice, I have been thinking about chopping my 28" barrel as well, Since you did yours, I thought I would go measure mine, I could get an 18" barrel out of mine if I cut right next to the rib, Is the minimum 18.5" or 18"?
Either way you have done a fine job. :cool:

VitSports6 said:
Very nice, I have been thinking about chopping my 28" barrel as well, Since you did yours, I thought I would go measure mine, I could get an 18" barrel out of mine if I cut right next to the rib, Is the minimum 18.5" or 18"?

18" is the bare minimum. From what I understand law enforcement will measure down the barrel with the action closed to get the measurement. That is why I cut one rib farther up the barrel to give myself plenty of room. I could have cut one rib down but it would have been too close to the limit for my comfort.

DamnYankee said:
VitSports6 said:

18" is the bare minimum. From what I understand law enforcement will measure down the barrel with the action closed to get the measurement. That is why I cut one rib farther up the barrel to give myself plenty of room. I could have cut one rib down but it would have been too close to the limit for my comfort.
I see.
I noted that the barrel stated that it was a 28" However only about 27.5" is being measured from the receiver, The way they manufacturer the barrel there is the left hand side of the barrel that is longer than the right(sorry I don't quite know what to call it). So I guess It would be wise to figure out how exactly its measured.
Thanks again.

Good points on how to measure. I've never considered that, but both of mine are 20" barrels, and Allisons 24".

18 is the legal length, but as you pointed out, from where. Sounds like the bolt closed may be how its done. I'm gonna look that up!!!

I measured down the barrel as you stated and I'll be! It is the length on the barrel, So, IF, I decide to cut mine I will be able to shorten it to 18" + with no issues and the rib will but right up to the end of the barrel.
I still don't know if I have the minerals to do it yet...

DamnYankee said:
I may get a pistol grip for mine too. I will definitely be changing out the wood furniture for synthetic either way.

Your chop came out good!

Since you have a metal slide tube you might consider a Hogue "Tamer" pistol and fore grip "kit", about $30 (353212) from Midwayusa.com. Add $13 if you have the 6-3/4" tube for the Hogue adapter nut (643889). OEM pistol grips go for around $15-$25 on the internet after shipping and a synthetic foregrip about $15-$20 (depending on brand).

Bobster said:
DamnYankee said:

Your chop came out good!

Since you have a metal slide tube you might consider a Hogue "Tamer" pistol and fore grip "kit", about $30 (353212) from Midwayusa.com. Add $13 if you have the 6-3/4" tube for the Hogue adapter nut (643889). OEM pistol grips go for around $15-$25 on the internet after shipping and a synthetic foregrip about $15-$20 (depending on brand).

Will that Hogue kit work with a 20ga? My forend is like 9 inches long too. I have been having trouble finding an aftermarket forend online.

Read this as I have an old 12 ga pump that I'd like to shorten. My question is other than using a hacksaw, what is can be used? Will a heavy duty pipe cutter be enough to cut through the steel barrel? I can use an angle grinder with a whiz wheel but I'd like to keep the end straight as possible.

Thanks.

Back