• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Cleaning mold from guns.

tcecil88

.30-06
Elite Member
My fathers collection of guns is kept in a cold, damp room. As a result, they are beginning to mold. How do you clean them? When you wipe off the mold, spots are left behind on the blueing and wood finish. Any help would be greatly appreciated as he has some valuable guns that are being ruined.

Try cleaning them with gun scrubber and buying a dehumidifier for the room.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

John A. said:
http://www.cleanertoday.com/Mold-Killer-MoldSTAT-Plus-p/moldstat16.htm

But it won't prevent it from coming back if the storage conditions are not improved and I dont' know how safe it is for metal and wood surfaces associated with guns.

But it would be worth contacting the manufacturer and asking

That is why I suggested he purchase a dehumidifier to remove the moisture and dampness from the room. No more moisture and dampness no more mold or mildew.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

Thanks. He has a baseboard heater in the room but I am not sure it works. As tnxdshooter said, getting the room dried out and warmed up would be the logical first step. Thanks for all the replies. When I get home at the end of the month, I will go to work cleaning them. I would imagine a good coat of gun oil would help as well. It has been years since the guns were cleaned I imagine. It is sad to see the guns in the shape they are in. There are alot of fond hunting memories in that room. You guys know how a particular gun can take you back to a particular hunt.
Please keep the suggestions coming. Thanks again.

Back