• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Cleaning supplies and gunsmithing tools

I hope you'll bear with me while I gather what is no doubt very basic knowledge. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask right?

I'm putting together a shopping list of things I'll need to properly maintain and make minor modifications to my new Mossberg 500 Persuader. I bought an inexpensive (read cheap) Winchester cleaning kit that has all the rods and brushes I can imagine I'd ever need but nothing else. Right now my list of needed supplies looks like this:

Gunslick Cotton Patches
Hoppes Silicone Cleaning Cloth
M-Pro 7 Gun Oil LPX
Hoppes No. 9 Solvent

Is there anything else I'll need to clean my mossy? Are there other products that would serve me better?

Also, I'll be adding just a few things to it, namely a sidesaddle, heat shield and tactical light. I don't plan on doing much more with it than that. I'm also about to add a CZ 75 B 9mm to my arsenal but the only modification I'm expecting to make to that is I want to add the Cocobolo grips to it. How much do I really need in the way of gunsmithing tools? I'm looking at a Weaver Deluxe Gunsmith Tool Kit for about $75 bucks, am I likely to really need that? Or is there a less expensive alternative that will serve my needs?

Thanks guys (and gals), I don't know where I'd be without y'all.

Consider a nice sized cleaning mat that you can lay everything on and a magnetic parts bowl to hold any small steel parts.

i second what kodiak said. i always grew up on hoppes #9, love that smell but there is a lot of cleaners that aren't quite so strong smelling. hoppes=clean guns in garage, some other cleaners=okay to clean inside watching tv. I've also heard that bore snakes are good to have around. I don't have one yet but plan on getting one to try it out. I would skip the gunsmith stuff and just put a little bag together with a punch and little hammer maybe a screw driver or two and some allen wrenches. it's nice to have some stuff at the range so that you could possibly fix any issues on the spot and save a trip home. Sometimes you can even fix other peoples guns and save them a trip. but unless you have a wide variety of guns with a ton of different tool needs i would pack the bare minimum into a cleaning bag and call it a day.

Back