• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Concealed Carry Ammo...

S

SHOOTER13

Changing Out Concealed Carry Ammo

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

How often should you change it out...?

Remember...bullet set-back can occur if the same round is re-chambered enough times....

http://www.usacarry.com/how-often-change-concealed-carry-ammo/

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally...first thing I do when I go to the range is shoot the round in the chamber of my carry weapon...

The next one in line is then a fresh round in the chamber...the mag then gets dropped and topped off

with my preferred carry ammo....Hornady Critical Defense 185 grain FTX in .45 ACP.

Why not just run the mag. And start fresh? I understand the price of SD ammo, but how old is the stuff at the bottom?

I use Federal 180Grain HST's ($0S&W). As far as the ammunition goes, I usually do not clear my weapon unless i have to. When a re-chamber the first round, I set the round in the chamber and allow the extractor to slip over the case rim. Keep in mind, my carry weapon is usually cleared only for cleaning. I keep the ammunition in the primary and secondary magazines for twelve months, then it's replaced. I use the old ammunition for practice. The only reason I would replace the ammunition sooner is if, for some reason (Oxidation of the case from water, sweat, zombie juices), the ammunition was suspect.

I perform press checks but I rarely unload unless cleaning or at the range. I ALWAYS do it if handed a gun that was "cleared" but not open, even if I see the individual clear it, too many accidents happen that way.

I never drop the round in the chamber and let the slide close over top of it. I will always let it strip a round off the mag. I'll then drop the mad and add 1 more round. I had issues in the past where the extractor did not fully engage the round when I loaded that way and am not willing to take the chance. I've never had a problem loading from the mag.

I use Federal 180Grain HST's ($0S&W). As far as the ammunition goes, I usually do not clear my weapon unless i have to. When a re-chamber the first round, I set the round in the chamber and allow the extractor to slip over the case rim. Keep in mind, my carry weapon is usually cleared only for cleaning. I keep the ammunition in the primary and secondary magazines for twelve months, then it's replaced. I use the old ammunition for practice. The only reason I would replace the ammunition sooner is if, for some reason (Oxidation of the case from water, sweat, zombie juices), the ammunition was suspect.

I failed to mention, I carry a M&P40. The extractor is under extremely heavy spring pressure and has zero issues closing completely over the rim. Never do this with a gun that uses an internal extracot like my STI 1911. With the 1911, I chamber from the magazine and top off.

Yeah, age is not really a factor for the ammo. It's the number of times it's been chambered and re-chambered. The more you chamber a round, the more likely you will get bullet set back, which could lead to high pressures and maybe a kaboom.

Actually, I think bullet set back from chambering is probably a rare occurrence. I've never actually had it happen to me and I even tested a round with over 30 chamberings in 3 different pistols. That doesn't mean it can't happen. Depends a lot on the brand/quality of the ammo.

This may sound a bit over the top. Before I retired we were issued with the H+K MP5 9mm carbine and the Glock 17. Any rounds that were chambered at the commencement of a tour of duty and then cleared from the weapon at the end of the shift were segregated and used as training rounds.

That being said I reload 9mm for IPSC competition using cases that have been fired five or six times. I have NEVER had my Glock 17's fail to feed or extract them.

I really don't think economy should be an issue regarding self defence rounds either. I know everyone's financial circumstances are different but let me ask you this. How much money is your life worth ?
Change your ammunition as often as you can afford to.

Interesting topic. Never really gave it much thought. I'll shoot one mag of my carry ammo from time to time to ensure it works as advertised. Then shoot some target ammo and finally reload with carry ammo. Cleaning is when I can see dirt or it gets dusty from carrying (about once a month or so).

Back