• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Consistency in improvements between 930 models

Vyse

Copper BB
I did a quick search but haven't seen this addressed...

I've seen a lot of posts about how Mossberg improved the charging handle a while back and the newest generation barrels are a little thicker. I hadn't really thought about it before, but are these kinds of improvements made to all of the several models in the 930 special purpose line, across the board? For instance, I have a new 930 Home Security on the way...should it also have the new charging handle and thicker barrel? If it doesn't, would I be receiving an old version? Are all barrels now the matte black instead of some matte and some blued?

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it...I'm most concerned about function. But it just occurred to me and now I'm curious about what I should expect when I open that box. Thanks.

Hello Vyse, welcome to the club. I too have a H/S 930 that I turned into a SPX, the H/S barrel is thinner than the SPX barrel, mine was built on 1-17-11 and it came with the old charging handle. As of problems they have been few, a spring issue, but that was solved by placing the SPX extention tube with the stock H/S spring. It works better than the longer SPX spring, a barrel fitment problem that caused scarring of the mag tube "SPX barrel" and one FTE using 1200fps #8 birdshot. All in all it has been a great gun for me. As for function, I think the H/S has fewer problems because it is not the SPX. In it's stock form my 930 H/S ran like a beast right out of the box.

I've got a 24" 930 turkey that I use for HD and is heading for 3gun matches in 2012. I've made some adjustments (mag extension the most significant). I've shot the hell out of it in a short time, kept it clean and have never had a hiccup shooting from slugs to mag buck to bird except for an aftermarket red dot that went south. I replaced it with a warranty item - same model and continue regular varied use. red dot will be replaced by iron in 3gun - many great choices got the platform.

Thanks, guys.

Hey Ben, did your HS barrel come blued or matte black? I've heard that it's been a little inconsistent (maybe the blued is being phased out, but there are some still around?) but I don't know how accurate that is. Great to hear how well it fired out of the box!

6798357425_ffec3d47ff_z.jpg
Hey Vyse,

Matte black, my 590A1 came parkerized. As far as accuracy my 930 has better grouping than my 590A1

Thanks...and nice pics.

Talked to Mossberg this morning and they said the HS was only available with the blued barrel and no new charging handle. Got the gun today and they were half right...no new charging handle, but the barrel was matte black and does appear to be the newer hefty version (but I haven't measured it to confirm). The gal I spoke with seemed to think the HS would remain "entry level" for now, without some of the upgrades they've made to other 930 models.

And the folks at Nordic were awesome...I already had the +2 mag tube on order plus the XL cap, and then had to call them quickly to add their charging handle after I saw the HS still had the old one on there. They grabbed my package from outgoing mail so I wouldn't get dinged twice with shipping, cut it open and then added it to the box. Just a little extra effort...I'll be a return customer.

Vyse,

Let me know how the Nordic mag tube works out for you, I wanted to go that route but I wanted to keep my gun all Mossberg. I use the stock mag spring in my tube it works better than the SPX spring which is longer and smaller in diameter. Also post some pics when you get her set up.

Honestly I would start with the HS model and add aftermarket parts to get it to a semi-SPX configuration. Better quality is available than the OEM parts.

Back