• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

defective new 590a1???

natiep

.22LR
Hello Everyone!

My first post here and I already might have a problem with my brand new 590a1.

I bought this shotgun yesterday afternoon and unboxed it this morning. I've racked the slide many times so far and just racked it again an hour ago some more. The last time I tried to pull the slide forward it locked up half way home.

I completely disassembled the shotgun and this very small piece of metal fell out. Upon disassembling I also noticed quite a bit of machining debris metal shavings. I used a flashlight and see no possible place where this piece could have come from so I am assuming it is a metal sprue that somehow managed to stay in the gun when assembeled.

I completely cleaned the shotgun and function tested the gun with rounds in the magazine and it worked flawlessly. I did not fire the gun though, but dry firing it the hammer falls and the safety works.

I hope the photos are clear enough to see the small metal piece. What do you think it is, manufacturing debris?

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!

Nate

Attachments

• IMG_1122.JPG
    IMG_1122.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_1123.JPG
    IMG_1123.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 196
Welcome to MO!!!

I don't honestly know what that could be, I don't recognize it as anything... though on second thought, bein round, check the elevator, the shell lifter and make sure that each side has a round piece sticking out. You can actually visually check each side of the receiver and look for a void a round peg may fit into.

Have you thoroughly cleand it yet, like when it was apart? If not, break it down again and do so.

FWIW my first 2 detailed cleanings I've had some weird metal parts come out of my 590A1. Looked around and didnt notice any where these little broken pieces came from.

over 1,400 rounds later I havent had any issues.

Thanks for the comments!

When I had it apart this morning and discovered this little piece that caused the problem, I went over all of the parts with a fine tooth comb and found no place where this metal piece could have come from.

I'll take it apart again and check things over once more.

I think I'll contact Mossberg and send them the photos and see what they say.

Nate

Back