• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Defensive Tactical Shotgun class

I took a defensive tactical shotgun class this last weekend by civilian arms training out at burro canyon shooting park in Azusa ca. The new forend that i put on the mariner popped off in the middle of the class. I traced the malfunction back to the forend nut being the shortened version. honestly i didn't like the feel all that much. time for the ergo3 forend and the magpul afg. aside from the malfunction i had a great time and learned a lot about my mariner. We spent a good portion of time sighting in our shotguns with slugs and 00buck from various distances. I was pretty accurate with the slug but it was pretty cool seeing the 00buck patterns at 10-20-30 yards. I was using 3inch magnum 15pellet 00buck and the spread at 30 yards was not bad at all, much less then i thought it would be at that distance. One of the other drills that stood out to me was just how bad at combat loading and uploading i am. (looking for some snap caps now to practice at the house). To end the day we practiced engaging multiple targets coming around a barrier then transitioning to our off hands to engage the next set of targets. Overall it was day out with the guys shot over 300 rounds and learned a ton.

Man, that does sound like a good time!

And! A great time spent learning your firearm!!! I really enjoy patterning different loads and the loading drills is something I could stand to practice more.

Next on the agenda is the Tactical handgun night shooting course, this is almost a prerequisite class for a combo shotgun and handgun course. when i first read the description of the combo course it sounded like it was an LEO only. but hell another day at the range with my xd40 and 590 i'm sold.

I took a defesive HG class a while back that spend some time on low/no light shooting. I highly recommend it. I learned a lot about the pros and cons of using both weapon mounted and hand held lights. It was much more difficult that I thought. Perspective, depth perception and many other factors come into play when the lights go out. Single light sopurce and shadows make it very hard to see things clearly esp when trying to differentiate threats vs. non-threats. At the end, those of us that wanted to got to run the course with carbines, that in itself was again another new challenge. I'd love to take another class that has it's entiore time dedicated to this. There is so much to learn.

Pro tip: when shooting through a window at close range with an AR make sure you aim high or your rounds will hit the window frame due to your elevated line of sight. :-D

I've yet to take a shotgun course but it is high on my list. I've got a lot more trigger time on a shotgun than any other playform just from all the hunting a skeet I've done in my life but after watching Magpuls Art of the Defensive Shotgun, I see I'm missing a lot when it comes to swapping out rounds and efficient reloads.

I feel like I've finally gotten to the point where I've learned enough to know that there is so much that I still don't know. I don't think we can ever have enough training.

I guess i never thought about night shooting until the instructor in this last class said something like 80percent of all shootings happened at night. I feel that if i choose to bring these guns into my house around my family i owe it to them to be as knowledgeable with them as i can. i agree with you mike the magpul movie was a great watch. I can already see my wife laughing at me combat loading and uploading snap caps trying to go from fumbling shells to more a thing of art.

Your philosophy and care for your family is admirable!

Same goes for all out there who feel likewise! Youre right that we owe it to our families to know our firearms inside and out and are able handle them safely and with respect.

Back