• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Desert Storm bayonet question. Am I loosing it? Long question

Rosetime101

Copper BB
This was a while ago and I was not into firearms then so I didn't pay super close attention. Was in the Marines for Desert Storm and in '91' and pulled gate duty at a base in Saudi. Was told to trade in my M60 for a M16. Armorer hands me out a pump shotgun and a bayonet because it was "what he had". Could have sworn the pump shotgun was a Mossberg and thought I was 99% sure the bayonet was a newer M1917 because it was as long as my arm. Nobody had seen a bayonet that long and it got a lot looks when I was walking around with the bayonet mounted. Only had it for a week so i am not positive. Just found a Vietnam era M1917 with plastic grips but it in no way mounts up to my model 50645 590.

Was I wrong on the shotgun or the bayonet or both?

Cheers

I read this in one of @Ernst links..

" Interestingly, the bayonet adapter for the Model 37 trench gun was designed for use with the M1917 “U.S. Enfield” bayonet. This bayonet was selected for use with the first “trench guns” used in World War I and remained the standard shotgun bayonet in U.S. military service until the late 1960s. Since the supply of World War I M1917 bayonets was almost exhausted by that time, contracts were given to two firms, General Cutlery, Inc., and Canada Arsenal, Ltd. The bayonets made by these firms were not as well-crafted as the World War I bayonets and were fitted with checkered plastic grips. In addition to the new-production bayonets, some refurbished World War I M1917 bayonets were issued for use in Vietnam. "

So these where produced as late as the 60´s ?

You probably had an M7 on that 590A1... (random internet pic shown)

3775807_01_mossberg_590_with_ontario_m7_b_640.jpg

Or MAYBE an M9... (random internet pic shown) Your gun would not have had sights.

wm_5193671.jpg

My middy with an M7...

bayo3.jpg

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

Last edited:
Know in the late 80s there were still many Vietnam era trench gun in the inventory. Likely one of these.

Regards

Beginning to think it was maybe not a Mossberg now.

Do you remember where the safety was located or how it loaded? Those two would provide a clue to make. There were a host of old Vietnam era trench guns floating around for years. Plus many were provided to other countries.

Good luck in determining the exact model.

Regards

Do you remember where the safety was located or how it loaded? Those two would provide a clue to make. There were a host of old Vietnam era trench guns floating around for years. Plus many were provided to other countries.

Good luck in determining the exact model.

Regards
I unfortunately don't. Only had it in my hands for a few hours a day for a week. Wish I had a picture of it. Looked and found one from the same timeframe of me with my M60. A million moons ago on a freezing January morning.

Attachments

• JR M60.jpg
    JR M60.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 11
Back