• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Did a little Skeet shooting

With those short arms of yours, is it going to exceed the 26 inch minimum overall length when he's done?

REM870BirdsHeadGrip016.jpg

Yes, I am hee-haw laughing and snorting out of my nose right now.

I'm just kidding with you.

I'd love to see it when it's done.

I'm sure it'll help fitting the stock to you.

I'm just kidding with you.

I'd love to see it when it's done.

I'm sure it'll help fitting the stock to you.

It's all good. I'm so short I have to reach up to tie my shoes.

When he cut the stock and handed it back to me it fit so perfect. But based on looking at my mount my eyes were low which is probably why I was shooting low on station 1 & 7.

So he wanted to cut an adjustable comb.

$150 everything. Works out of his home and was recommended by a lot of shotgunners.

Ugh. I'm completely convinced NY has nothing to offer in the way anything firearms related.

The "master gun fitter" broke my stock.

He put a "new" stock in it but upon inspection it was a little dinged up.

He didn't want me to take it, said he needed a day to smooth out the stock.

It ain't a new stock. I told him that. But it is a little nicer than my original stock with a high gloss finish.

I gave him a week to smooth out the stock and Forend.

A little bummed out today.

At least the new stock fits and the adj comb was set up for my line of sight at 60/40.

Sometimes it can happen with anyone. Regardless of how much experience they have. Wood can be a real pain and challenge to work with sometimes. Especially one that is old and dry.

And even if it's a new gun, that doesn't mean that the wood hasn't been in a warehouse for decades.

I'm going to reserve judgment Till next Saturday.

But my expectations are now significantly lower.

I handed him a ding free stock. I'd expect a similar product in return.

If it is a small ding that hasn't broken the polyurethane, you could (theoretically) put it in the dishwasher for a cycle.

Don't put it on heat dry or sterilize so you don't risk damaging the clear coat, but a regular hot water cycle will often pull a ding back out.

If it is a small ding that hasn't broken the polyurethane, you could (theoretically) put it in the dishwasher for a cycle.

Don't put it on heat dry or sterilize so you don't risk damaging the clear coat, but a regular hot water cycle will often pull a ding back out.

There was a nick in the polyurethane.

I have a feeling if he can't fix this stock he will use another. Maybe.

I don't know. I'm going to call Thursday afternoon to see if a sat pick up is still on.

When I read that this "master gun fitter" was going to do the job for $150, it raised my hackles.

I had my Browning Cynergy fitted a few years ago. He shortened the stock, increased the cast off, added a bit of drop and twist, and installed a new recoil pad. All total, the work cost about $600.

Properly bending a stock is an involved process. The stock is fitted into a jig inside a box. The jig exerts just a bit of pressure in the direction of the bend(s) while hot oil is pumped over the stock to soften the wood. Every so often, the jig is adjusted to provide a bit more bend. Bending the stock can take several days, depending on how much it is to be bent.

This guy has a pretty impressive pedigree: http://admgun.com/about/about1.html

When I read that this "master gun fitter" was going to do the job for $150, it raised my hackles.

I had my Browning Cynergy fitted a few years ago. He shortened the stock, increased the cast off, added a bit of drop and twist, and installed a new recoil pad. All total, the work cost about $600.

This guy has a pretty impressive pedigree: http://admgun.com/about/about1.html

He's been doing it for 30 years. Had a good rep with the local shooters and even had many shooters out of state attest to his work.

Another shooter got his shotgun the same day as me and said it was perfect.

Apparently me and Murphy like to hang out.

We shall see this weekend.

Ps

Thanks for the link

Got the shotgun today. He didn't do much on the stock. The comb had some things he smoothed out but it's totally a used stock. I asked him the price and he said just cover the cost of the comb materials $50 and he was sorry regarding what happened with the stock. It was a fair transaction.

Stock feels good and is definitely cut to my preferred length as well as the comb is set up solid for the 60/40 spread.

Here's the stock at a distance (Looks good at a distance):

25731324124_af1611ab05_z.jpg

Upon closer inspection there's minor nics, light scratches, and some tiny dings:

25731323524_d24aa93346_z.jpg

26243778362_916b2a24d5_z.jpg

I'm going to live with it this season. Gonna save up and purchase a new stock probably next year and send it to the dealer I had originally bought it from and have it fitted and cut to my length/adj comb.

lol the hits keep on coming... I realized the recoil pad isn't my original and shot 6 games on Sunday (really windy). Felt like it kicked a bit more than it used to.... took off the recoil pad last night to inspect:

1) It's a field stock and not a sporter stock

2) One screw hole is completely stripped so the recoil pad is only being secured by 1 screw. The other one is literally just for show

wow.

Devil is in the details.

All I can say is a good Smith that works with stocks would have made that stock look brand new.
Stripped holes in wood is such an easy fix!
This guy seems like an amateur to me!

All I can say is a good Smith that works with stocks would have made that stock look brand new.
Stripped holes in wood is such an easy fix!
This guy seems like an amateur to me!

I'm pretty pissed off. No doubt. I'll probably have it at a beretta approved warranty center by the end of the year with a new stock to be put on.

What are you going to do with the old stock?

Back