• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Did I get bad ammo?

hummerbk

Copper BB
Bought a bunch of Winchester Universal 7 1/2 shot at Walmart. I wanted to help break in my new 930 SPX. Loaded seven rounds and on round seven the shell stuck in the chamber. The funny thing was that the extractor had pulled a hunk of brass out of the rim of the shell but the shell remained stuck in the chamber. Did not have a rod to push out the shell with so decided to shoot my Century Model 87.
First shot the shell stuck in the chamber and jammed the action shut. The shell had a head seperation. The red plastic part was seperated from the brass. What gives here? I'm afraid to shoot any more of this stuff.

It does indeed sound like you got a bad batch.

Your recourse may be to contact Winchester and seek a refund or replacement of ammo. If there is any damage to the firearm... make sure its documented as much as your able.

Sounds like bad ammo to me too. If there's damage to the guns, you should take it to a reputable gunsmith, that way it will be properly documented. And you will have actual documentation as to the "malfunction".

I would definitely contact Winchester about this, even if there was no damage to the gun.

This has been a well known problem with Winchester universal shells on MANY different guns, from your gun, to the Maverick 88 and more commonly, the Remington 870, and what your describing is nothing unusual with these shells. By now, I'm almost positive Winchester knows about it but haven't done anything yet. The shells are pretty low quality and I would recommend staying away from them. Try Remington or Federal Shells. I have had good luck with both the Remington and the federals, the Federals tend to shoot a little dirtier though, and they have a stronger smell (I like it). If only there were gunpower scented candles :(

gmaster456 said:
If only there were gunpower scented candles :(

We need to contact the Yankee Candle Company about this. Seriously. I'd buy it!

Back on Topic.

I was unaware of this happening but will make a mental note to avoid these shells in the future.

This is EXACTLY the issue that I have experienced in my new Mossberg 930 Breacher. At a local 3-gun match I was in over the weekend, pretty much every person there advised me to stay away from the Winchester bulk stuff (target loads). One guy there said that he does run it pretty successfully, but he has an FN SLP with a 22" barrel. He theorized that with the longer barrel, he was getting a better cyclic action with a few more inches to enhance back-pressure on the gas ports.

Basically, what I learned is that pretty much ANY short-barreled (less than 22") has issues with the cheaper ammo...the only exception seems to be the blow-back cycled actions in the Benelli's and Stoegers. Chances are though...a guy that chose to plunk down $1200-$2000 for an M2 or M4 won't be using cheap bulk ammo anyway (the guys I saw running Benelli's this last weekend were running Federal Premium in their guns ... $15+ for a box of shells.)

What I learned is that Federal Gold Medal and most Estate (with full hull bases) work great in my 930 and are less than $9 box. I am now trying to stick with shells that have the longer brass base on the hull. I seem to have most of my issues with ANY shotshell that has the shorter rim/shell-base. The longer ones just seem to provide greater stability to the hull and more positive chambering and extraction.

I am collecting once-fired hulls now and will probably start developing custom loads...IF I get serious and keep doing this 3-gun thing.

My $0.02.

I just got off the phone with Winchester and they are going to send me a return shipping label for the ammo. The stuff I was using had a steel head instead of brass. He told me that some guns have a problem ejecting the steel head stuff.

I have a couple hundred of these Winchester Universal 12 ga shells with the steel hull. I haven't shot any of them, just had them put back for shooting clays this summer.

If I have a problem, I'll be sure to call them about them.

Out of curiosity, do you remember the lot numbers?

Same place I bought mine. Not all that long ago either.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes. Hopefully it'll do OK in my 500 and 79

gmaster456 said:
If only there were gunpower scented candles :(

Great point! I love that smell too.
I've said many times that if women really wanted attract men they would wear Hoppes 9

My SPX 930 has never had a factory shell shot in it and now i suspect i've got several thousand through it......what i've found is that the steel based shells are generally a little oversized and after i reload them with whatever load i'm using that day....by the way i'm using a MEC collett sizer.....i haven't reloaded the Winchester economy shells but the Green Remington gun club shells reload just fine but are still a little snug just at the point that they seat into the chamber....the black Remington hulls that most of the time come with a 7/8 oz high speed load are very tight when they seat in the chamber and a lot of the time when i try to remove one that's in the chamber, they are so tight that the extrector will slip off......therefore i' m trashing the black ones, using the green ones for everyday blasting and Winchester AA's and Remington STS for 3gun matches when your stuff just absolutely has to work.....the brass rimmed more expensive shells relaod and work just fine........D I C K

Back