• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Difference between 2 3/4" and 2 3/4" mag?

cmcdonald

Boating Accident Victim
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
A question regarding shot shells.

What's the main difference between a Federal 2 3/4 Magnum in 00 buck and just a regular Federal 2 3/4 00 buck shell?

Would it be a problem to fire the magnum out of a 500 chambered for 2 3/4" to 3" shells?

2 3/4" is 2 3/4", at least from the math I learned years ago. May just be that powder load is increased in the magnum. Good question, though...one I don't have an answer to...

On the 2 3/4 part, you and me both!

I'm more than a little confused, cuz the "magnum" shell is 1290FPS and the regular shell is 1325 FPS......I'm so confused! :?

old mossy said:
,,,its more about mag dram,,,,1400fps
viewtopic.php?f=37&p=108950#p108950

edit: looks like its a brand name for a new line of federal shells. Mag-Shok.
Could very well be. Just picked these up the other day. These are labelled as Power-Shok with the MAGNUM descriptor on the end panel with the ammo info.

Just thought it was odd that the so-called magnum ammo had a lower FPS rating than the regular stuff. I also wanted to be sure their wouldn't be an issue using it in a 500.

Re: Difference between 2 3/4" and 2 3/4" mag?

I always thought that due to it being magnum, it was just a hotter load. But damn, that lower fps sure beats the shit outta me.

Sent while trying to concentrate on 6 things at once.

nitesite said:
How many pellets in the magnum load?

Traditional 00 buck loads are 9-pellet payloads.

F130 00 Power Shok has twelve 00 pellets in the same length shell. That is why its going 1290-fps.
Yup, you're bang on mister. Just checked the box. Then I assume there are no issues with increased chamber pressures or anything like that?

Of course not. It is perfectly safe to shoot in any modern firearm in good condition.

I hope I was able to help.

I don't think you have to worry about pressures as much when shooting buckshot because the pressure can escape easier than if you were shooting a normal bullet. Not as much back pressure. Thats always been my assumption anyways.

Re: Difference between 2 3/4

Shotgun Jeremy said:
I don't think you have to worry about pressures as much when shooting buckshot because the pressure can escape easier than if you were shooting a normal bullet. Not as much back pressure. Thats always been my assumption anyways.

Your assumption needs a little re-wording here and there. There may be a flaw or two in it.

Shotgun Jeremy said:

Just out of curiosity, what leads you to that conclusion?

All the little gaps between the pellets don't seal as well as a slug or bullet? But that doesn't take into account the wad holding all the pellets together now, does it?

I wouldn't think that wad has as much resistance though-its just plastic sliding along a barrel. When a bullet is fired, wouldn't it expand just a tad from the heat creating some extra resistance? Or am I just all off here? Lol

nitesite said:
Of course not. It is perfectly safe to shoot in any modern firearm in good condition.

I hope I was able to help.
Definitely!! Thanks for the info nitesite.

I was assuming that was the case but wanted to be sure.

Didn't want to be one of those guys that assumed wrong and had their gun blow up in their face or worse injure a friend.

Shotgun Jeremy said:
I wouldn't think that wad has as much resistance though-its just plastic sliding along a barrel. When a bullet is fired, wouldn't it expand just a tad from the heat creating some extra resistance? Or am I just all off here? Lol

Sounds plausible, but have never done any comparisons on that kind of info. I'm sure someone here can confirm or deny that theory!! :D

Thanks for commenting.

Shotgun Jeremy said:

Material expansion takes time. I doubt there would be any measurable expansion of the wad, or a bullet, due to heating in the tiny fraction of a second it takes to travel down the barrel.

That said, barrel heating after a few shots will reduce the bore dia. by a tiny fraction. You'd have to look up the thermal coefficients and crunch the numbers to know by how much, but likely less than 0.0001".

cmcdonald said:
Shotgun Jeremy said:

Sounds plausible, but have never done any comparisons on that kind of info. I'm sure someone here can confirm or deny that theory!! :D

Thanks for commenting.
It is a fact that one ounce of lead in shot form produces less chamber pressure than a one ounce slug all else being equal. Shot absorbs energy more readily, even though its in a wad, than a singular projectile….shotgun reloader specific knowledge.
The difference can be measured but not readily felt…..it’s one of those things to know if you reload on the edge of acceptable chamber pressure……its one of the risks in making Kentucky slugs because if you melt the shot from a load that’s on the edge of max pressure and replace it with the slug it could be enough of a pressure spike to crack your chamber :ugeek:

oli700 said:
It is a fact that one ounce of lead in shot form produces less chamber pressure than a one ounce slug all else being equal. Shot absorbs energy more readily, even though its in a wad, than a singular projectile….shotgun reloader specific knowledge.
The difference can be measured but not readily felt…..it’s one of those things to know if you reload on the edge of acceptable chamber pressure……its one of the risks in making Kentucky slugs because if you melt the shot from a load that’s on the edge of max pressure and replace it with the slug it could be enough of a pressure spike to crack your chamber :ugeek:
Thanks Oli...another piece of info or trivia for the unintiated! ;) Now I can continue to annoy my wife and daughter with more Cliff Clavin-esque quotes of what they call useless information.

On the other hand, I however will treasure this info and hopefully put it to use in the future. I am considering getting into re-loading down the line. I just need more money and more space....hmmm might have to fight the wife for more closet space!! :lol:

cmcdonald said:
Thanks Oli...another piece of info or trivia for the unintiated! ;) Now I can continue to annoy my wife and daughter with more Cliff Clavin-esque quotes of what they call useless information.

On the other hand, I however will treasure this info and hopefully put it to use in the future. I am considering getting into re-loading down the line. I just need more money and more space....hmmm might have to fight the wife for more closet space!! :lol:

You wife makes you live in a closet? Wow... :eek: ... ;)

Back