• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Difficult extraction in a Mossberg 500.

Quick trip to the trap club produced three difficult extractions in two boxes. In all cases the action was difficult to impossible to open for ten or fifteen seconds, then cycled as normal. My first impression was that the shells were partially melting in the warm barrel, efforts to keep the action open as much as possible and increase time between shots may or may not have mitigated the issue. One malfunction was encountered with a Federal target load, and the other two with some orange target Fiocchi from Scheel's. Barrel is used, perhaps not lightly, and looks like this:
18492244_1881880595170790_2027538133_n.jpg
The "something" you see feels like it is raised and has resisted several passes with a bore brush and scrubbing with a copper brush. It does, however, feel like it moves a bit and seems to leave a light stain on my finger. My suspicion is lead fowling from 2 3/4" slugs has built up to the point that it is an issue. Not totally sure, hence me consulting you.

What the hell is going on with my gun, and how can I fix it?

Very common problem. It is a combo of rough chamber + bad ammo.

Usually we blame the ammo (Olin...) but in this case its the bore.

The bore needs to be polished. Steel wool + Dewalt will work. If you really want to do it right you can get a bore hone.

Back