• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Do you pay attention to other shooters at the range?

I do. I like to check out what they're shooting, and how well (or poorly) they shoot, mostly out of curiousity.

Today, I drove the wife to Houston and helped her set up for a conference presentation. Then, I had several hours to kill, so I headed to a nearby indoor range on the southwest side (Top Gun) to throw some lead downrange. They were busy with qualifying a concealed hangun license class, but I snagged a lane anyway. Lane # 1, with the wall to my left and lane # 2 to my right.

So, I'm shooting my Springfield Armory Lightweight Operator, which is my favorite gun. Pretty soon, I notice a new shooter on lane #2. Can't see what he's shooting initially, but can tell it's probably something in 9mm, and he's got pretty tight groups. Later, I sneak a peek, and he's got a couple of Glocks.

I think having a good shot in the next lane made me concentrate a little more. I was shooting good, he was shooting good, and both of us could see each others' groups. No conversation was exchanged, but I had the feeling we were "sizing each other up". I think that's pretty normal for guys (and gals) who take some pride in their shooting skills. I left before he did, having shot up my 100 rounds of .45 ACP.

I normally chat it up with other shooters at outdoor ranges, because at regular intervals, the line goes "cold" while folks change/check targets, and there is time to socialize. Indoors -- not so much. Each lane has its own target control, everyone's on the clock (pay by the hour), and you don't take your ears off AT ALL.

Wish I had talked to that fellow now, and told him I admired his shooting. Never know when you will pick up some good tips (and maybe pass some on yourself).

A very pleasant range trip. Nice facility, shot my favorite weapon, shot it well, and shared the range with a skilled shooter.

Only thing left to do is clean the Operator (although I did Boresnake it before I left the range).

Hope you all got out to shoot today, too. And had as good a time as I did.

This sounds so familiar! My hubby and I also chit chat at the outdoor range with other shooters when they're changing the targets. I also live near Houston and visited my first indoor shooting range today, in Spring...the Northwest side. I didn't get a chance to shoot there today (we went with our kiddos to check out the retail side) but I could tell that the shooters were in their own little worlds. Didn't seem to be much talking going on and like you said, they handle their own targets, etc. We are going to test it out tomorrow so I'm kinda curious as to what it will be like. My husband definitely sizes up the other shooters and tells me what they are shooting...I never can figure out how you guys can spot each gun and know their exact make and model with just a glance, lol. I myself don't really do much looking around because I have to stay a bit more focused with what I'm doing. :) Anyway, all in all, it sounds like a pretty typical day at the range, funny how its so similar to my own experiences. I guess next time you should strike up a convo, he very well may be thinking the same of you as you were of him....and who doesn't need a little affirmation from time to time :) glad you had a good time, thanks for sharing!

GLG2, it all goes back to men and women being wired differently. Case in point: my wife and I shoot GSSF competitions, she having started recently. Neither of us are any threat to win, but we really look at it from wildly different viewpoints. I compete very hard against my past performances-- figure that if I can show improvement against my previous results, I will get some fulfillment out of it. My wife is not as focused on the competitive aspect-- she really likes the social aspects of the sport. So recently, I mused about getting a couple of other shooters to form a 3 person team with me, to compete as a team in the GSSF outdoor matches. When she asked if I would include her, I told her no-- her scores are simply not good enough yet. Boy, did I get an earful and a place in the doghouse! Bottom line-- she gets joy out of participating, and I get joy out of competing. Mars vs. Venus. Have a safe shoot.

I find the same scenario between indoor/outdoor ranges. We will act differently when we are paying for the time rather than when we are allowed to relax and fire at our leasure. The only people that talk to me when we are indoors is one particularly overbearing range officer (he seems to want to help, but tends to force his views and "lessons" on my dime) and anyone we go with. Everyone else just focuses on their lane and that is it.

Outdoors I have found myself walking from the particular range I am on to talk to someone in another to introduce myself, and find out what they are using. I am new to firearms, so it is a selfish move to learn more, but the people there have been warm and receptive and happy to talk. If I felt I was imposing, I would exchange names and move on. But so far, I have been greeted warmly and had an oportunity to talk in legnth and learn a lot.

I guess it just depends on what you are looking for at the time. If you just want to focus on the shooting, go indoors. Just you and your lane. If you want to shoot in a more social environment, I find an outdoor range is the key.

Absolutely...whether on an outdoor range or at the indoor range...I'm always aware of my surroundings, especially when the people around me are handling firearms.

At the outdoor range I frequent, the RO's always keep an eye out for people new to the sport, and they actually have a system where a first timer must have the RO sign-off on their "badge", so that they hear first hand the range protocols and they are watched to see if the have the safety skills to be allowed to proceed. Each section...pistol, rifle, shotgun, etc., the RO must sign off or you are not allowed to continue. When the range goes cold...everyone must clear their action, insert a yellow flag into their barrel or action, and step back behind the safety line before anyone can go to check/change their targets. Then when all are back and behind the safety line, the whistle blows and the range goes hot. A pretty good system...but when someone walks up to either side of me, I myself check their skills out and monitor their actions.

The indoor range doesn't have as many precautions, but many of the ones I frequent to have ballistic divider panels between the lanes, closed circuit tv to monitor from the front desk, and a guy who walks around policing the area and helping out if asked to do so. There, I'm even more aware and will take breaks while reloading to step back and check when someone enters and sets up to begin shooting.

Then there is the social aspect, which I must admit I enjoy...as I usually see someone I'm acquainted with and we exchange nods or words, each of us basically knowing that the other is as safety conscience and range wise as the other...watching each others backs so to speak.

Then there are the times when I take my wife, daughter, or a friend or two with me, which really makes me twice as aware, taking on the job of RO for the group, and making sure the time together is a pleasant experience. And 99% of the time...it is !!

Back