• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Don't you love older vehicles!!

Those are probably just casting imperfections. ... to fracture a housing in a pick-up like that it would have to have been high horsepower, heavily loaded pulling truck. And the rest of that Chevy front end would have grenaded long ago. You have nothing to worry about.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I hope you are right.

I really can't tell the darn thing from the photograph, but it is quite common to find casting imperfections which look like cracks on the inside of the castings.

The first time I saw the inside of a Mexican built Volkswagen engine I freaked a little bit.

My gut says cracks as I can catch my fingernail in some. But I will think positive. On the upside, I drove the truck tonight to haul my lawn equipment over to mow my parents lawn and the axle seal is not leaking. At least I resolved a problem. LOL

This truck has a bit of centimental value. It was my grandfathers. He wanted a 4x4 his while lif, waited too long, and died before he really got to enjoy it. He left it to me and I've been driving it since it had 13K miles on it (129k+ now). This is the same grandfather that built our family cabin by hand and gave me my first deer rifle.

At this point, even if it stops running tomorrow, I think I can confidently say I have honored him by getting all the use out of it that he would have and then some.

Well it's good that you kept it up, being sort of a Keepsake.

Those cracks could be fractures from the stress of physical abuse. It could also be that every one of the castings in that run had these flaws, because they cooled too rapidly in the molding process. If testing or inspection showed they weren't structural problems, the factory would have used them anyway, because this is a common cosmetic defect that they see.

I'd get on a forum that specializes in that vehicle or vehicle family, and post the photo there.

Because I own Mossbergs I belong to the Mossberg Forum (and vice versa) but I also belong to at least one forum for every vehicle that I own.

Back