• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Duplex Ammo

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Wonderin if anyone has used any duplex shotgun loads. I just picked some up, Remington blackened case head, dark green (OD) hull (looks just like the Winchester Mil grade loads), steel shot. I know the one size of shot is "BB" but I cant find on the box the other size.

I'm guessing its intended to be able cover varying ranges, from close to xx# of yards out, but I'm rather clueless.

Reason I got it is to add to my range tests with the VCS 590A1 barrel along with several other loads for pattern density.

So if anyone knows the purpose of duplex loads (I've never used them), please feel free to fill me in!

Hey Brad...you're correct...one load is BB size, and the other is a mixture of #2 and #4 sized pellets.

This from the Remington site:

Experts agree a shotgun is the best firearm for home defense. In 2010, Remington introduced a new ammunition product designed to enhance the effectiveness of your shotgun in a home defense scenario – Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense.

Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense shotgun ammunition features the same pellet material as the popular Wingmaster HD™ tungsten-bronze hunting ammunition and is offered in two loadings. Consumers can choose from a load of BB’s for the highest terminal energy or a duplex mixture of #2 and #4 pellets for excellent pattern density and outstanding stopping power with a reduced chance of over-penetration.

Both loads are 12 gauge, 2 ¾-inch with 1 1/4 ounces of shot at 1250 feet per second. At the most commonly encountered home defense distances, Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense produces very tight patterns for one-shot confidence.

HD Ultimate Home Defense ammunition is the perfect compliment to Remington’s recently expanded line of tactical shotguns.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammun ... loads.aspx

==================================================================
history...

The old "buck and ball" Revolutionary war era loads in smoothbore muskets were the original predecessors...back when armies lined up for enmass vollies of fire...it just increased the chances of hitting the target(s) with enough pellets to take 'em out of the fight...if not killed outright.

===================================================================

Ahhh... Thanks! Sheer stupidity, I hadnt figured to check out Remingtons site! :lol:

Okey doke, what I have says "BB" so I'll try it out and see what we get! Though the box says "special purpose" and mentions the non reflective hulls, it doesnt say anything about HD...

I look forward to hearing feedback on these duplex rounds.

Dan, my shootin partner is out of town until just before school starts. But hopefully soon! I have quite a few loads lined up, from the standards to some other stuff like this BB steel shot to a couple different target loads... All to be tested through the VCS 590A1!

Oh, and Allison will be using some #4 loads and Federal 000 buck for the .410!

Next time I get to go out I'll pattern the Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense. I have a few boxes of the BB in flavor I picked up on clearance at Bass Pro Shop a few weeks back. I shot a few into milk jugs filled with water and it sure obliterated it, but I didn't have my backer for paper.

Yeah! Those arent bad either, but we've only run them through the .410, so any 12 ga. insight is always welcome here!

Back