• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

FAMILY GENEALOGY

[quote="Rossignol Yep, same here...

I have a good deal of info, I'll post it up when I have my interwebs![/quote]

Looking forward to that Rossignol....here's a tidbit :

The family name means "nightingale" in French. As early as 1406 the word rossignol has served as the French term for "skeleton key" or for any tool which opens that which is locked.

In 1626, Henri II of Bourbon, Prince de Condé laid siege to the Huguenot city of Réalmont. The besiegers intercepted a coded letter leaving the city. Antoine Rossignol, then a 36-year-old mathematician, had a local reputation for his interest in cryptography. He quickly broke the Huguenot cipher, revealing a plea to their allies for ammunition to replenish the city's almost exhausted supplies. The next day, the besiegers presented the clear text of the message to the commander of Réalmont, along with a demand for surrender: the Huguenots surrendered immediately.

the family crest from my Mom's side.

Burkhartfamilycrest.jpg

Very nice John...what nationalities are represented ?! German ?

Dad's side is English and later Scot
Mom's side is German

I started to look into it a long time ago, but my father skipped out when I was 2, and I was later adopted by a step father that I did NOT get along with. But by then my name was changed and well, I guess I became a quiet loner of sorts. Somehow I couldn't get enthuseastic about it enough to get going.

My mother has sense divorced the step, and I am still close with her and that is about it for my family. Not even my brother and sister are really all that close to me. We all get along, but have very seperate lives. My mothers family drifted apart after my grandmothers passing so all the more reason not to be too hyped to look.

Not a pitty train, just sharing.

Ripsnortr said:
I started to look into it a long time ago, but my father skipped out when I was 2, and I was later adopted by a step father that I did NOT get along with. But by then my name was changed and well, I guess I became a quiet loner of sorts. Somehow I couldn't get enthuseastic about it enough to get going.

My mother has sense divorced the step, and I am still close with her and that is about it for my family. Not even my brother and sister are really all that close to me. We all get along, but have very seperate lives. My mothers family drifted apart after my grandmothers passing so all the more reason not to be too hyped to look.

Not a pitty train, just sharing.

I can totally relate. My dad was adopted along with one of his brothers while the other two stayed with their mom. I have never met or known a single person from his side of the family until I met a couple of my cousins 2 years ago. I knew my moms side but we weren't a tight knit family, like you said, everyone got along but it wasn't a strong bond. When I moved to Texas in 03 I have yet to see any of my moms side of the family until my mom passed away. Her dad died 18 days before her and he was my only grandpa that I knew. My great grand mother, the twin, passed in 06. Then my mom's mom passed away within the last year. My dad might as well died with my mom because he doesnt really talk to my sisters and I and doesn't see my kids...even though he lives 30 miles away. It's a real shame that I don't really have family to lean on. Thankfully my twin and oldest sister are still in my life but they live in other states. Anyway, moral of story, I kinda know how you feel. Luckily I have 4 boys and my own lil family now, and you can bet your ass that they won't ever feel abandoned by me. We can change the cycle and create new bonds since we don't have much in the way as family. Good luck to you, I can tell you are strong. :)

Shooter, You are exactly correct! The "nightengale" is actually on the crest too!

Rossignol_crest.jpg

The genealogy has been done already and careful records kept for a very long time.

The Rossignols were early settlers of Nova Scotia, the area called Acadia then. During the time the English were settling and colonizing everything, many of the french were uprooted from their homes and transported to the south. You are familiar with New Orleans French Quarter and the term "Cajuns"? When the French "Acadians" were transplanted in the south, in what is now Lousianna, the Spanish that populated the area couldnt say or pronounce "Acadians" and the term Cajun was born. There are still to this day folks in New Orleans with traceable roots to my early family, especially the Rossignols and Heberts.

Additionally, the name Rossignol has been synomynous with skiing for some time, at least in Canada. When my Great Grand Dad Donat's family came to the US, there were brothers I'm told who stayed behind and made skis.

Thats a synopsis. I dont know much beyond Donat Rossignol. There are Rossignols mentioned in the Acadian history.

I know nothing of my fathers side except that his "dad" wasnt his dad and said as much. He said he was so and so's son. If thats true, my dads dad owned a coal mine in WV and was Scotts-Irish. Only thing is my grandmother will neither confirm nor deny, she just looks scared when asked about it so we dont talk about it.

Anyhow, I have my mothers name, my dad said his last name didnt matter cuz it wasnt really his name anyway, just his "dad's" name. Never heard him call his dad "step father". He would sometimes remind my dad, "Youre no son of mine!"

i hate to hear that. a buddy of mine was tellin me when he was a kid he messed up now and then. and the step dad who "adopted" him would go off on him, sayin how you'll never be a "so&so" and you're not a "so&so" i'm done with you!

i hate that crap. that's not something a child should hear from his father. step or not. that's just bad parenting.

GirlsLoveGuns2 said:
My husband is German and Irish, and his name, Harvey, is German. I have Portuguese on my dads side of the family, that's where I get my tan skin from. I don't know a whole lot about the history because I didn't know a single person from my Dad's side of the family until I was 28...2 years ago...My maiden name is Damazio, and I met some Damazio's for the first time and they happen to live 15 minutes away and happened to be my Dad's brother's kids. So they are my cousins. Crazy! One of my Damazio Cousins that I met does Major Motion Picuture Films. He has worked on Star Wars, Friday Night Lights, Pearl Harbor, and lots more. It's cool cause he has pictures on FB with all the actors and on set. Another interesting fact that I found out when my cousin (from my mom's side) did a family tree in High School and found that we are related to Judy Garland (Dorothy from Wizard of Oz). That's about all I got. lol. Nothing too interesting I guess. lol.

Your confusimg me. L. My last name is harvey. And its english.
Best i can tell from research is we were accountants for the king. I dont know of any german in me. I ust know of english, scottish, irish, and native american.

Im wondering were your research for german came from. Im interested to see if i might have german too!

gibson_es said:
GirlsLoveGuns2 said:
My husband is German and Irish, and his name, Harvey, is German. I have Portuguese on my dads side of the family, that's where I get my tan skin from. I don't know a whole lot about the history because I didn't know a single person from my Dad's side of the family until I was 28...2 years ago...My maiden name is Damazio, and I met some Damazio's for the first time and they happen to live 15 minutes away and happened to be my Dad's brother's kids. So they are my cousins. Crazy! One of my Damazio Cousins that I met does Major Motion Picuture Films. He has worked on Star Wars, Friday Night Lights, Pearl Harbor, and lots more. It's cool cause he has pictures on FB with all the actors and on set. Another interesting fact that I found out when my cousin (from my mom's side) did a family tree in High School and found that we are related to Judy Garland (Dorothy from Wizard of Oz). That's about all I got. lol. Nothing too interesting I guess. lol.

Best i can tell from research is we were accountants for the king. I dont know of any german in me. I ust know of english, scottish, irish, and native american.

Im wondering were your research for german came from. Im interested to see if i might have german too!

You are absolutely right...my husband said I was an idiot. I thought Harvey was German, lmao. His grandmother's last name was Aderholt....that is the German part. ;) His last name, as is mine, is Sterling...I guess that's English as well.

GirlsLoveGuns2 said:
gibson_es said:
GirlsLoveGuns2 said:

You are absolutely right...my husband said I was an idiot. I thought Harvey was German, lmao. His grandmother's last name was Aderholt....that is the German part. ;) His last name, as is mine, is Sterling...I guess that's English as well.

Ah, that makes sense now. I was very confused. Lol.

You could look sterling up fairly quickly as far as were it hails from. 5-10 minutes.

I had forgot to mention my Grand Mothers side of my family. They were tabacco farmers largely. I dont know much of the Sizemore name except that its English, but there were a few gypsies and one native American girl by the name of America Belle.

I havent researched the Sizemores at all.

Hey Rossignol...is that a motto on the banner at the top of the crest ? Can't make it out...

You know, I'm not sure what that is...

Well, in addition to the Rossignol and Sizemore, it has just been confirmed that my dads dad was a man by the name of Jefferies. He owned a coal mine in WV where my dads family is from.

I related the story here about my dads dad saying "youre no son of mine, youre "so and so's" boy". Well that "so and so" is Jefferies. The family still owns a mining company, Global Minerals or mining or something like that.

Of particular interest to me, is now that I have a last name and know the area theyre from, I may be able to find some history on them and where they came from!

After a couple quick searches, it seems Jeffries is Welsh. The crest would be a black shield with a gold lion and the motto being translated, "Do right, and fear nothing"

There was an early known immigrant by the name of Jeffries to New England in 1677.

I like the motto and I may adopt it for myself, even if it isnt mine! :lol:

I've been trying to dig though a lot of my family history. I'm having a hard time though because my last name, Cornelison, was assigned to a lot of male immigrants arriving in the United States who had a father named Cornelius (or other variation of spellings). I have a few generations back, but one of the most inspiring of my relatives is my Great Uncle John Wilbur Sams, Jr. He was killed in the middle of the night as he slept by a mortar attack in S. Vietnam. Growing up I can remember all of my family telling stories of him. He's a lot of the reason I wanted to join the military for as long as I can remember. I ended up messing up my leg pretty good and didn't get the honor to carry on in his and his nephews footsteps as Airborne Infantry. His name is engraved on Panel 12W Line 034 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

101abnsm.jpg
506thinfrgt.gif

cib.gif

phndvsvc.gif

PERSONAL DATA
Home of Record: Knoxville, Iowa
Date of birth: Friday, 10/15/1948

MILITARY DATA
Service: Army (Selective Service)
Grade at loss: E3
ID No: 483606553
MOS: 11B10 Infantryman
LenSvc: Between 1 and 2 years
Unit: C CO, 1ST BN, 506TH INF RGT, 101 ABN DIV

CASUALTY DATA
Start Tour: Friday, 10/24/1969
Cas Date: Sunday, 03/22/1970
Age at Loss: 21
Remains: Body Recovered
Type: Hostile, Died
Reason: Artillery, Rocket, Mortar - Ground Casualty

ON THE WALL Panel 12W Line 034

Rossignol said:
Shooter, You are exactly correct! The "nightengale" is actually on the crest too!

Rossignol_crest.jpg

The genealogy has been done already and careful records kept for a very long time.

The Rossignols were early settlers of Nova Scotia, the area called Acadia then. During the time the English were settling and colonizing everything, many of the french were uprooted from their homes and transported to the south. You are familiar with New Orleans French Quarter and the term "Cajuns"? When the French "Acadians" were transplanted in the south, in what is now Lousianna, the Spanish that populated the area couldnt say or pronounce "Acadians" and the term Cajun was born. There are still to this day folks in New Orleans with traceable roots to my early family, especially the Rossignols and Heberts.

Additionally, the name Rossignol has been synomynous with skiing for some time, at least in Canada. When my Great Grand Dad Donat's family came to the US, there were brothers I'm told who stayed behind and made skis.

Thats a synopsis. I dont know much beyond Donat Rossignol. There are Rossignols mentioned in the Acadian history.

I know nothing of my fathers side except that his "dad" wasnt his dad and said as much. He said he was so and so's son. If thats true, my dads dad owned a coal mine in WV and was Scotts-Irish. Only thing is my grandmother will neither confirm nor deny, she just looks scared when asked about it so we dont talk about it.

Anyhow, I have my mothers name, my dad said his last name didnt matter cuz it wasnt really his name anyway, just his "dad's" name. Never heard him call his dad "step father". He would sometimes remind my dad, "Youre no son of mine!"

is this any use to you?

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/us ... -0005.html

RipJack!!! Thanks!

Donat was my great grandfather, and died recently... well, several years ago. One of my grandads brothers, (or my great uncle) is the one who recorded this story!

New Britain is 10 minutes away from me.....let me know if you have any addresses and i could take a pic of the house for your scrap book?

Sn3aKyGuY said:
I've been trying to dig though a lot of my family history. I'm having a hard time though because my last name, Cornelison, was assigned to a lot of male immigrants arriving in the United States who had a father named Cornelius (or other variation of spellings). I have a few generations back, but one of the most inspiring of my relatives is my Great Uncle John Wilbur Sams, Jr. He was killed in the middle of the night as he slept by a mortar attack in S. Vietnam. Growing up I can remember all of my family telling stories of him. He's a lot of the reason I wanted to join the military for as long as I can remember. I ended up messing up my leg pretty good and didn't get the honor to carry on in his and his nephews footsteps as Airborne Infantry. His name is engraved on Panel 12W Line 034 of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

101abnsm.jpg
506thinfrgt.gif

cib.gif

phndvsvc.gif

PERSONAL DATA
Home of Record: Knoxville, Iowa
Date of birth: Friday, 10/15/1948

MILITARY DATA
Service: Army (Selective Service)
Grade at loss: E3
ID No: 483606553
MOS: 11B10 Infantryman
LenSvc: Between 1 and 2 years
Unit: C CO, 1ST BN, 506TH INF RGT, 101 ABN DIV

CASUALTY DATA
Start Tour: Friday, 10/24/1969
Cas Date: Sunday, 03/22/1970
Age at Loss: 21
Remains: Body Recovered
Type: Hostile, Died
Reason: Artillery, Rocket, Mortar - Ground Casualty

ON THE WALL Panel 12W Line 034

Good luck finding more info Sn3aKy. Thanks for sharing this with us.

ripjack13 said:
New Britain is 10 minutes away from me.....let me know if you have any addresses and i could take a pic of the house for your scrap book?

DUDE! Awesome!!! I have some addys, I'll have to find em, but I have em! :D Thank You!

Back