• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Federal Target Loads

Sn3aKyGuY

.30-06
So I'm always seeing you guys talk about Federal brand ammo, but when I went looking for some cheap rounds to put through the 500 I couldn't really find anything local. What do you use for the range in Federal brand? Bass Pro Shop in my area doesn't even carry Federal ammo, and the few boxes that Scheel's had on the shelf all looked to be competition or hunting specific. Any advice on what and/or where I should pick some up. I bought 100 rounds or so of Winchester in different load styles (50 AA Light Target, 25 AA Heavy Target, 20 WinX 00 Buck, and 20 WinX Rifled Slugs and a box of Remington Home Defense, but I want to test as many different manufacturers as possible to see what is going to work for me the best. SGAmmo.com has so many selections, a fella could get lost quick not knowing what to buy.

Not sure about where you live but most WalMarts carry Federal 100-rd value packs of cheap target loads for around $25.

The wads are not premium and the shot is rather soft and not very uniform so accuracy and range are less than ideal. But it's fine for casual trap and even some hunting.

Have them as a favorite already, but thanks. I'm going shooting tomarrow so was trying to get some local. Guess I'll go against my better jedgement and go to Wal-Mart. I hate that place with a passion.

I avoid Wal-mart like the plague as well, except for Ammo. I just picked up a 100 round box of the Federal Multi-Purpose Load for $22.97 before tax.

Other specs:
12 ga
3 dram Eq.
1 1/8 oz shot
7 1/2 shot size
2 3/4" shells
1200 fps velocity.

Really unless you're getting the Fed Premium target loads, just about everything else is going for about the same price as the 100 rnd box @ Wal-Mart.

When it comes to target loads, I also really like the Winchester AA, either 7 1/2 or #6 and that just depends where I'm shooting. We routinely get consistent coverage and pattern from the AA loads.

Yea, the Win AA is what I picked up. I liked it, but then again just about anything can blow away plastic jugs. :lol:

Break in can use anything that goes bang really. You can get picky with the rounds when you have a particular purpose in mind and taylor your choice with what you find works best for you.

Texas_Made said:
Are the Federal 100 packs from Wal Mart good to break in my new SG?

Ripsnortr said:
Break in can use anything that goes bang really. You can get picky with the rounds when you have a particular purpose in mind and taylor your choice with what you find works best for you.

Yep, I agree! Only thing i can add to that though for me personally, I noticed more smoothing out with full powered loads like buckshot and slugs.

Back