• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

FINALLY FINISHED: Crafting wood furniture for a Mossberg 590 Shockwave

Lookin' good Doc. (My wife has the same problem with looking "lumpy or something" in pictures, but I love her the most.)
I'm glad to hear your Shockwave is reaching your expectations.
She looks beautiful in your pictures. I like the wood better than the "vinyl and lace", even though that does sound rather sexy.:giggle:
I'm thinkin' Capone is scratchin' at the top of his coffin watin' to get to your "heater".:thumbsup:

P.S. / You've been BUSY.

you dont know the half of it. Lately its been crazy. Working on and returning a gun to smith and wesson three times, all the work on the shockwave, been getting a 1974 waogneer that had been sitting 13 years on a desert property up and running so I can sell it (all new brakes, replacing the fuel tank, fluid and oil changes, etc), then this weekend redid the paneling on our kitchen island with stained pine and new trim, stripped and repainted the front door, new weather seals on the front door, painted a chandelier, so on and so forth. Life in general has been stupid busy lately, not just the near-nightly work on the mossberg lol.

Working on S&W, Shockwave, Wagoneer, Kitchen Paneling, Front Door, Chandelier, ........ Don't know how you do it.
Find time for yourself. I think it's time to lock and load. Get to the range and have some fun with your "Classic ShockWave."
And report back to us With Pictures. I know you enjoy your builds...Now enjoy your guns. What's your favorite ammo for the Shockwave?

Working on S&W, Shockwave, Wagoneer, Kitchen Paneling, Front Door, Chandelier, ........ Don't know how you do it.
Find time for yourself. I think it's time to lock and load. Get to the range and have some fun with your "Classic ShockWave."
And report back to us With Pictures. I know you enjoy your builds...Now enjoy your guns. What's your favorite ammo for the Shockwave?

Only thing I have put though it is hornady critical defense. I had a few spare minutes when I took my 627 Performance Center to the range and the defense ammo from my remington 870 was all I had on hand.

Will report back once it gets some actual range time dedicated to it :)

I have hardly been shooting this summer. I despise indoor ranges, they hurt my ears (even double plugged) and I really dont like being anywhere near people I don't know with guns. Like... I REALLLLYYYYYY dont like being near some jabroni that just rented an automatic AK, so I dont go to the actual range much.

Havent gone shooting in the desert lately because we've had about a brazillian wildfires in the area, and my property is bordered by BLM so I dont care for folks being careless in these high fire risk times. I still regularly hear people shooting in the hills when I'm standing in my back yard :-/

I understand some of what you are saying. I am blessed to live in rural Georgia. 99.5% of the area are Good 'Ole Boys....and I enjoy all.
Others think they own the world. I don't agree with night time gun fire. Mostly, it is illegal deer hunting.
Three things in life make Georgia people willing to trespass....
Deer, Pecans, and Loose ladies.

after the 2nd coat, the grip is looking like it has gained a little bit of shine. I love this wiping varnish for a finish, provides a nice soft luster.

I'll give it another coat tonight, then use a 3m pad to take it way back down, then hit it 2 or 3 more times with the finish with a light 3m'ing between coats, then buff with burlap. That was the process I used on my 1895, and it provides a nice soft satin finish.

So, i'l ladmit, i aint done sheet about the holw in the back of the grip. I dont intend to fill it in :-( I simply drilled it out to a 5/8" hole to fit the washers around the bolt, and stained it.

If i decide to make a plug...well, i dont know that i will. if I do, i was thinking about putting in a small threaded insert so I can thread in a screw to pull the plug out...but again...eh, doubtful that I'll fill the hole.

Perhaps, tap the hole, and then screw in a polished brass button head hex bolt.
I've thought of putting a rubber plug in mine, so I can lean the gun against the wall without it sliding like it does now.
brass button head hex.jpg

I dont know if we're on the same page here. there is a hole in the back of the grip that is well over half an inch in diameter.

I don't think I can get a 3/4" brass screw.

You can make a metal plug to fit flush in the hole (brass or stainless). Polish the outside edge and then drill and tap the plug for a button head screw. Keep the screw in tight during normal use and just back out the screw enough so it can be gripped with a set of pliers to remove the plug. You may have to use some light glue to retain the plug.

My grip is completely wrapped in the hockey stick grip tape. I didn't realize the hole was so big. If it continues to annoy you, I am sure you will come up with something. Perfectionists are like that.....that is a compliment.:)

Well, here she is. I'm done :)

Base Gun: Mossberg 590 Shockwave - Non NFA 14.5" barrel 12 gauge "Firearm" witb >26" OAL.

Summary of work:
-Modified vintage Mossberg wooden fore end to fit short action tube and heavy barrel. Refinished where necessary.
-Hand made leather safety strap attached with brass hardware.
-Custom built wooden birds head grip. Stained to match fore end.
-Modified a gloss blued factory Mossberg 500 heat shield to fit the heavy 590 barrel.
-Brass mounting hardware for heat shield.
-Drilled and tapped heat shield for an XL brass bead.
-Vintage engraved Mossberg 500 bolt. Swapped over the modern bolt guts and modern bolt slide.
-Vintage engraved Mossberg 500 elevator.
-Leather 1907 military style sling with brass hardware by Bandera - Made in the USA
-High viz orange machined aluminum mag follower

So, here's to hoping this combination of parts holds together after some extensive shooting, and also that the bolt doesnt unlock and blow me up or something.

Enjoy:
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

That's a very impressive list of upgrades, and a lovely Shockwave.
I'm sorry to see you are finished. Thanks for sharing all you did and hope you will stick around with reviews on your shooting experience.

That's a very impressive list of upgrades, and a lovely Shockwave.
I'm sorry to see you are finished. Thanks for sharing all you did and hope you will stick around with reviews on your shooting experience.

I'll get back when I shoot it more. Soon as S&W gets their poor excuse for a performance center firearm back to me, I need to go shooting anyway, and will def bring along the shockwave.

Back