• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

FINALLY got around to doing some casting

honkey

.270 WIN
I finally put my casting furnace to work today. It went well, but I wish I got a larger furnace. Most of the bullets came out perfect, but maybe 1/3rd of them look wrinkly. Does my furnace just need to be a bit hotter? And are the wrinkly ones still usable or should I redo them? Anyways, it was quicker than I thought it would be and it was fun. I didn't time myself, but I have 150 bullets (158 gr. LSWC for my new .357 magnum) now and it seemed to take no time at all. I wish I had more smelted lead, so I could keep going while I have the time. I have about 150 lbs of wheel weights I need to get working on. I also have 20 lbs of soft smelted lead.

Big thanks to nitesite for all the instructional videos/links/advice he has posted on here! This was actually lead that he gave to me also.

4d63d70c.jpg

Hah! I did the same thing years ago. My first cast bullets I photographed and posted a photo cuz I was just so proud of myself!

Congratulations on making it this far!

Alot of those bullets look great, man. The wrinkled ones (mould too cool or lead not hot enough) and the rounded bottoms (didn't pour quite enough) can get dropped back in the lead mix as soon as they are cool enough to touch. Or start a pile to re-fill your furnace just before you unplug it for the day.

I like tumble lube bullets with LLA (Lee Liquid Alox) but really like the 45:45:15 mix of LLA:JPW*:Mineral Spirits which reminds me I need to mix up some more. It dries quick and isn't sticky in just 30-minutes.

* - Johnsons Paste Wax

I loved seeing that you've made it into reloading and now casting! That $4 box of .357 Magnum ammo sure will be sweet to shoot!!!!!!!! :D

Awesome job on those.

Back