• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Fiocchi > Winchester

So about a week ago I purchased a 10-round boxes of 00buck from Fiocchi at Big 5. They were 8.99 each. I go back today to get some more and they were sold out and all they had left were 5-round boxes of 00buck from Winchester. Apparently they were the military-grade ones or whatever? I dont know it was the dark Navy green shells that came in 5 per box by winchester. I figured I would get a few just to test them out. After shooting a few left-over rounds of my Fiocchi and then moving on to the Winchesters, I noticed the spread was unbelievable. The fiocchi rounds seemed to group together much tighter than the winchester. The Fiocchi felt much more powerful too.. Maybe I'll get a picture of both boxes so you can compare but did anyone else notice that? Oh, not to mention the Winchester was more expensive. About 5.49 for a box of 5.

IIRC the Winchester military buck in the olive drab/green hull is a full power load with a very wide shot pattern due to the poor wad design. Fiocchi apparently decided to put forth greater effort in their production process.

Or your gun simply likes Fiocchi better.

Or a combination of both!

I can't comment on these loads specifically but you will probably notice differences from load to load, or even the same load from gun to gun, even within the same model of gun.

Patterning your gun with a given load is essential to making sure your groups are what you want them to be. You example proves that perfectly Thanks for sharing your results.

While I've not used either of the loads, I'll comment on the Winchester.

As I understand, the Winchester "Military Grade" is exactly the same load as Winchester Super X. There is little technology to speak of. From the gas seal (which is like a chunk of cardboard) to the shotcup bein little more than a plastic disc.

The load doesnt group well at all in my experience with the Win Super X. I use it sparingly just for messin up targets, though it will work and do its job at closer ranges. These have been my experiences.

I can corroborate the finding with Super X as it applies to the Mil-Grade. My experience with Super X is that it more-less covers the target, rather than a putting up a distinct pattern...

I used to be a very big fan of Winchester ammo.

But it seems like just about everyone I talk to lately are dissatisfied with them some way or another.

I agree John. Their shotshells are lacking finess in a world where many advances have been made to tighten patterns.

The Ranger ammo is decent stuff, not at the same level as some others. It seems Winchester has relied on lower velocities to help improve patterns with their 00 buck.

Bullets are ok, but that would be another topic.

Back