• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First cleaning of NOS M500

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I gave almost $400 for this new gun, which had been siting on the shelf well over a year unsold. Fortunately it had been well-oiled and the internals are nearly rust free.

Left to right the Mossberg 500 12 gauge breacher, the Benjamin Regal air rifle, and the new Savage Model 60 .22 semi-auto.
4853.jpeg

The forearm has a built-in flashlight made by Insight, which is probably just Chinese junk. The flashlight battery was missing, and I was told the light did not work. I haven't tested it because I don't have a battery and dont care.

I didn't much care because I knew that I didn't like that big chunky foregrip. It's just too big for my hand and I will likely replace it with something more Hollywood Tactical. For now I simply took it off.

Here she is all disassembled, except for the trigger and the bolt/extractors/pin.
20161016_193412.jpg

When I put it back together I also left out this plug which really doesn't do a darn thing unless you are changing barrels all the time.
20161016_204208.jpg

Since every tube fed gun I bought recently has had rust in the mag tube, I took this one apart and burnished it out good. I cleand the whole thing out nicely and put it all back together without the gunky plastic grip. o_O

It took me a couple tries to get this back together the first time, and I had to stop and look at a diagram on the internet.

But this gun is certainly a Marvel of modern manufacturing and Design.

This one is intended as a home defense gun, and therefore it won't be shot too much once I get it broken in.

But I can see myself buying a more sporting version for fun at the range.

I want to get a different type of flashlight with a built in laser. But I don't know. Those sort of Electric things are so often the weakest part of the whole weapon system.

Is it possible to install quality lighting components in the housing? Or just gunna toss it in the circular file?

I'll try and take it apart and fix the electricals. It might be simply a corroded switch.

Sometimes these things corrode even when they're covered with a waterproof membrane because of chemical outgassing of the thermoplastic rubber that they used for the switch covers.

Well I'm not talking about gun Optics here but about audio equipment but I'm pretty sure the same thing applies.

Anyhow I know I want totally different optics for this gun, & I'm open to suggestions at this point, as I have done almost zero research.

My instinct will simply be to go to the store and buy whatever they have made by Leupold.

:cool:

If I wasn't 62 years old and armed with a 12-gauge shotgun, you could call me a fanboy

Well this was a typical case of me overthinking things.

I looked it up, and the light takes a cr123 lithium 3 volt battery so I just wired it up temporarily to some ordinary flashlight batteries and it works fine.

If you put the battery in backwards it doesn't work at all. That's probably why the salesman thought it didn't work. He claimed to have tried a new battery in it.

The darn thing is still too big for my hand to hang on with a bucking shotgun. It's also rather hard smooth plastic instead of rubbery.

It is advertised as being waterproof and it has O-rings in it, but so far I haven't figured out how you might change the light bulb.

I cleaned out that Marlin 60, by the way and it had some very light rust in the mag tube as well, but very little compared to the other ones I've come up with. Except for one spot on the barrel (right where you grab it with your thumb to pick it up by the barrel) I found no rust on this gun.

I'd put the fore end up on Debay and use the proceeds towards a nice furniture kit... Do a search and see what they are bringing for aftermarket units. That would qualify as "new other" and could bring a premium over the aftermarket units.

PS: Surefire is getting AT LEAST $200 for their fore end... :eek:

This combo evidently retails for about $260 more than the ordinary Mossberg shotgun.

Since the light seems to work I will run some shells through it & put it through its paces; and then decide if the light is durable enough to own.

I still haven't figured out how you change the bulb.

Regarding the furniture, I'm just going to buy another shotgun with fine wood furniture and a limb saver. I'm having this strange desire to go goose hunting. (Probably psychological, because the dang things are honking as they fly over my house all the time.)

This black plastic cruiser will be the beater. I won't bother trying to fancy it up, but I think I will attempt to make the foregrip fit my hand better

Back