• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First Mossberg.

Tim433

Hey everyone,
I recently purchased a Mossberg Patriot(picking up on the 31st). I skimmed through the online owners manual and didn't see any barrel break in instructions. A quick Google didn't produce any Mossberg barrel break in info either.
So my question is, what if any is the procedure for the Patriot rifle? Is this something I should even be concerned with in a "budget" rifle?

Hey Tim
I really don't know if there is an official barrel break in procedure for our rifles. All I did with mine after reading several different thoughts on the subject was to shoot a few shots, maybe 10, then clean the barrel as usual. Solvent followed by a brass brush & then some dry patches then a lightly oiled patch. IDK if that made any difference but I will say this rifle shoots more accurate than I can shoot it lol, less than 1" at 100 yds shooting with a fence rail as a rest is real good for me.

Some will say there is NO need...Others swear you gotta do this or that.

Me...!? I break in a rifle barrel ( bolt or semi ) by firing three shots from a cold bore...clean by running a CLP patch or two down the barrel to remove any and all fouling...followed by a dry patch...and repeat...until that box of twenty is done. Always pushing the fouling out the barrel, not dragging it back into the action.

Aluminum cleaning rods with jig...or field expedient bore snake.

All this while try to group the shots...I mean, why waste ammo.

Good to go...

Back