• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

First Time Shooting Slugs

I am going to be shooting slugs for the first time this weekend. I am confident that I should not be shooting them with a full choke in. Am I ok to shoot them with the improved cylinder choke that came with my 88?

Thanks!

Absolutely! Improved Cylinder is an excellent choice.

I am assuming that you are shooting standard Foster-type soft lead full diameter slugs, and not the fancy and expensive sabot-slugs which shoot a smaller caliber bullet enclosed within a plastic sabot. They are intended to be fired thru dedicated fully-rifled slug barrels.

BTW, almost all soft lead foster "rifled" slugs are considered safe in most full-choke barrels.

Hint: Don't shoot from a sandbagged bench rest. Stand or kneel and leaning slightly forward, and let the recoil gently rock you back slightly.

Absolutely! Improved Cylinder is an excellent choice.

I am assuming that you are shooting standard Foster-type soft lead full diameter slugs, and not the fancy and expensive sabot-slugs which shoot a smaller caliber bullet enclosed within a plastic sabot. They are intended to be fired thru dedicated fully-rifled slug barrels.

BTW, almost all soft lead foster "rifled" slugs are considered safe in most full-choke barrels.

Hint: Don't shoot from a sandbagged bench rest. Stand or kneel and leaning slightly forward, and let the recoil gently rock you back slightly.

Thank you for the tip!

Be warned!!! Once you go with slugs there is no going back. They are an absolute blast and will destroy practically anything you put in front of it!

I've heard they are fun. This will be at an indoor range so I wont be able to destroy anything, but hopefully someday...

I recently shot a regular 12 ga. slug for the first time and I was in pain for a couple of days . The kick was alarmingly strong and my shoulder paid the price .

First time I shot slugs was 1985 with my 500A "Camper's Combo", i.e., 28" barrel and 18.5" barrel, pistol grip and camo gun sleeve for $189 (that was expensive in 1985). I bought 2 boxes of sabot slugs. The 18.5" barrel is smooth bore. The first 3 missed the target (about 3ft x3ft) at 50 yards. Around the 4th round a big chunk of the top-left pallet the target was attached to blew away in splinters. The next box of sabots were aimed way right low and the lead root beer barrels kept splintering the left side of the pallet. That was before I learned about rifled slugs.o_O

Back