• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Fraternal Order of Police supporting a ban

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
I was on the FB page of Olympic Arms regarding them suspending sales to NY state agencies and I saw the post below and it got me to thinking. Why, of all organizations, is the Fraternal Order of Police supporting the assault weapons ban? Of all the groups that support it they seems like they should know the percentage of crimes committed with rifles is low and a law like this won't stop someone that's breaking many other laws at the same time. I can't imagine anyone thinking "ok, I'm risking prison robbing this bank but I won't make it worse by using a 20 round magazine"

I'd appreciate if anyone can fill in the blanks for me on why the FOP supports this because I will admit my knowledge of the FOP, how they operate and what their goals are is severely lacking. As I support local LEO and know they have a tough job I don't appreciate the FOP supporting this attack on my rights.

Olympic Arms was recently asked to advertise in the FOP Journal; the official magazine of the Fraternal Order of Police. It is well known that the FOP is a staunch supporter of Gun Control, had backed the AWB under Bill Clinton, and supports the current AWB under consideration that was introduced by Diane Feinstein. The FOP was actually accredited as being one of the sources that helped prepare the language of Gun Control suggestions that were forwarded by Vice President Biden. Below is a copy of our response to the FOP Journal:

Please forward this email to every major principal in your organization.

AS:

1. The Fraternal Order of Police is on Congressional Record as having been a major supporter of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban.
a. http://books.google.com/books?id=ZGb80R ... an&f=false
2. As a matter of fact and record, the FOP is accredited with assisting VP Biden in formulating the language of the newly proposed ban:
a. http://www.politico.com/politico44/2012 ... 52546.html
3. Additionally, as a matter of fact and public record, the FOP is in support of the newly recommended Assault Weapons Ban introduced by Senator Feinstein.
a. FOP representatives were actually standing on the Stage during the presentation as a sign of "support".

THEREFORE:
Olympic Arms, Inc, manufacturers of AR15 type firearms, firearms that these legislators would call "Assault Weapons", will not be supporting in any way, shape, form or fashion, The Fraternal Order of Police, any organization that represents, supports, takes advertising dollars from, spends advertising dollars with, is in anyway related to, any individual who is a card carrying member of, or any person or entity in any way associated with the Fraternal Order of Police. Period.

Henceforth;
• Be assured that Olympic Arms will not rest in its efforts to educate our customers, fans and followers the extent of the hypocrisy committed by the FOP and FOP Journal (fighting to outlaw the firearms produced by the very companies they now solicit for advertising dollars…). You can also be certain that we continue to make every effort to properly educate the firearms consumer in general, of the same.
• Additionally, we will make continued efforts at assure that ALL firearms manufacturers are aware of the FOP's support to strip Constitutional Rights from Americans, and their support of further unconstitutional gun control legislation.
• We pledge to inform all of our customers the lengths that the FOP and associated FOP affiliates by proxy (which includes all your advertisers)are willing to go to in order to strip the American Citizen of their Constitutional Rights, while at the same time writing in exemptions to the same legislation to ensure that their members maintain those same rights they would have stripped from others.
• Your actions are the actions of a rogue organization supporting tyranny, not an organization sworn to uphold the laws of the land, to protect, serve and defend their constituencies.

Let it be know, that your actions are reprehensible and shameful.

Sincerely,

Thomas A. Spithaler
Sales & Marketing Dir.
Olympic Arms, Inc.

I cannot fathom why they are taking such a position. I do not agree with much of what they stand for, their policies, how they (don't) look out for individual cops, in short they are not on my approval list.

I don't belong, am not a member, have never applied to be one, and I never will.

This is even more reason why they will never have my support in any way.

Bastards.

I am a former member of the FOP, I left the organization prior to retiring. I find their policies reprehensible. It amazes me how "libertarian" my politics have become since leaving that line of work. It is time for members of the FOP to wake up and realize what they are doing.

how they (don't) look out for individual cops
This makes me think they are more of a political/power weilding political group than anything else.

thats all I need to hear
Yep! ;)

Thanks for the responses guys. Still, if anyone can chip in what drives this bad line of thinking please fill in the blanks.

hanoverfiste said:
It amazes me how "libertarian" my politics have become.
It’s funny you mention that. I am or was a registered republican...over the last few years I question everything. About 6 months ago I took this big test asking multiple questions and at the end it said I was firmly a libertarian......I kinda hate being anything but I know I’m not a republican anymore either......I reregistered just because I am pissed at the two party system but I still vote the way I want.

Back