• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ghost Ring Sights

Re: 590a1 Ghost Ring question?

Sorry to be late to the party but I have the GRS on my 590A1. Great shotgun, and it has eaten everything that I have thrown in it from 2 3/4" bird shot to 3" slugs.

XS Ghost Sight Rail

Anyone ever seen anything like this for the 500's? I can't even find them for the Remi's on XS's website, so I don't know if they have them for the 500's or not. I looked in there catalog as well, and no go.

shotgun.jpg

Most cost effective way to install ghost ring sights?

I am looking for the most cost effective option to install ghost ring sights on my 500. I have the sights ordered. The receiver is already drilled and tapped so installing the rear wont be a problem. The front however is a different story. I know that Mossberg recommends that the front ones be silver soldered on there and the barrel refinished. However, my main concerns with that are 1. that once refinished the barrel color will no longer "match" the rest of the gun and two it seems to be expensive to have it done. I was thinking that it may be cheaper to see if I can get an 18.5" barrel from Mossberg with the ghost ring front pre-installed. My third option and it is one that I have seen done and seems to work fairly well (My buddy has put 1,000 rounds through his with this setup) is to use the screw hole where the bead is and drill and tap a screw into the back portion of the front ghost ring sight. Then drill and tap another hole in the front of the sight base and the barrel and install a screw there using loctite on the screws and epoxy on the bottom of the sight. I am thinking this would probably be the most cost effective option. What say you? What would you do? My main dilema is that I have already ordered the 18.5" normal barrel and do not know if the gun shop that ordered it will give me a refund on it to begin with. Will the drill and tapping work push come to shove?

Re: What would you do?

ATI and maybe others make a heat shield with ghost ring sight. Cheaper Than Dirt, shows one of $30.

What kind of barrel have you got now?

I looked at those heat shields I dont like em. I am used to shooting a rifle and want the ghost ring on the receiver. The gun came stock with a 28" ported barrel and bead sight which I intend to keep for hunting. The one I ordered for it is an 18.5" blued with front bead sight.

20710-1.jpg

This is what it looks like right now basically only has a 28" ported barrel and is 12 gauge.

Without a doubt I would silver solder and save money till I could.A reputable smith or shop will be able to refinish to match the original bluing. It should look fine unless the rest of the gun is beat up or worn

Thanks oli for the advice. I know a really reputable smith and he said he could reblue it. We havent talked price yet as the sights havent come in. I just didnt want to send it off to aim point tactical. How hard are the sights to adjust for windage and elevation? From what I understand it is just a screw set and what not. Sounds not very hard to me.

You say you are used to a rifle, you will have absolutely no problem....same same, screw for windage and a screw for elevation.

I'm with Oli. Save for what you know you really want, get it done right and you'll be forever happier with it.

The screws for windage and elevation are both on the rear and I have read somewhere on this forum that when adjusting elevation upwards, be sure to take some of the pressure off the grs as the screw is tightened.

Seems like your taking things in a tacti-cool direction.

Instead of bluing the barrel, you could paint/coat all metal surfaces with something like duracoat, then it would all match, and could use a flat black to further the tacti-cool look.

inline300 said:
Seems like your taking things in a tacti-cool direction.

Instead of bluing the barrel, you could paint/coat all metal surfaces with something like duracoat, then it would all match, and could use a flat black to further the tacti-cool look.

Not really doing the tacticool function per se. Mainly just want it to be a good functional fighting combat shotgun for home defense if I ever need it and I may carry it at work as an armed security officer for long periods of time so I want it to be functional and take up less room. Thus the collapsible stock. I thought about having it all done in flat black. Money is kind of an issue right now. I need to be careful what I spend.

Well if cost is truly a concern.

Your thinking about your shotgun, as if it were a rifle but you plan on using it as a shotgun. Just not the same animal with bird/buckshot, go shoot the chit out of it, and youll soon realize, that after a while, you will be able to point and click with little in the way of aiming...especially in close quarters use, which is what your after and youll be suprised at how accurate the bead can be should you aim.

Long story short, you dont need the aftermarket sights or the trouble it might bring to make them functional. If you really wanna save money, see if the shop will take the short barrel back, and simply cut your existing barrel down. You wont get down to 18.5 cause of the rail, but you can get under 20 and flush cut it on the front side of the last possible rail post. The remaining middle bead would be effective for sighting purposes.

With that said, good luck, your confidence in your weapon, is greater than my opinion of what you choose to do.

I aint having the barrel cut down. I want to keep the main barrel for duck/turkey hunting.

As far as cost goes, I get an idea in my head about what I want and sometimes that means I have to wait for some time before I can do it.

If need be I say qualify with the 18.5" and get the work done as youre able to do it.

Gunsmiths are crazy around here

Not looking to promising as far as installing ghost rings on the 500. The first two places I have called want about 200.00 to silver solder the front on the barrel and then re-blue. I will call a few more places but looks like Ill be sending the sights back or ordering a barrel with them pre-installed.

Re: Gunsmiths are crazy around here

thats about going rate with the refinish....either send back the sights and get a micro reflex or learn the bead. You could also look into a Mossberg barrel with it already installed from the factory.

oli700 said:
thats about going rate with the refinish....either send back the sights and get a micro reflex or learn the bead. You could also look into a Mossberg barrel with it already installed from the factory.

Yeah, I am thinking I will go the barrel route and send back the sights if it is more. Aim pro tactical is showing a 75.00 charge to install and refinish. But they do xcoat my shotgun is blued. If they flat blacked the barrel it wouldnt match up. Aside from that it is probably going to be about 30.00 to ship it there and 30.00 to ship it back. By then it is almost cheaper to buy a barrel from mossberg and or have it done locally.

On hold now with Mossberg....

Part number 95303 18.5" blued barrel with Ghost ring front pre-installed 121.00. Now to call the gun shop and see if they will refund my money on the one I ordered (I doubt they will) if they will. 95303 here we come.

Back