• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Going Pheasant Hunting Wooo Hoooo!!!

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
My buddy just called and asked if I wanted to forgo deer hunting in the morning to go out and hunt some pheasants with him and his brother. His brother trains bird dogs and his new Brittany is supposed to be pretty good. I can't remember the last time I got to do some pheasant hunting over a good dog so guess what...I'm going!!

The property we will be hunting backs up to a pheasant farm so we are hoping to kick up a few survivors and/or stragglers.

Pulled out the 930, made sure it was lubed up and swapped out the turkey choke for something a little more forgiving and it's good to go!!

Hopefully I'll have some game in hand my tomorrow afternoon.

Wish we had enough grouse and pheasants here to hunt.

I miss it so much.

We had to do "put and take" hunts, on state ground. Had to be there to sign in as 6 AM, only so many hunters allowed, each group was given an area they could hunt, then the birds were released. Kind of detracts from the essence of true upland game hunting, but still enjoyable nonetheless. My pops Labradors always did great at flushing and retrieving.

We do not have nearly as many as we used to. I think the majority of what we see come from the hunt farms.

We put up three roosters and a hen, twice. I didnt get a shot but we ended up with one bird.

It was a lot of fun just getting out and watching the dog work.

a913ccb604e39040aa06ec01dedad606.jpg

I got out this morning and we put down 18 birds. Great day of hunting with the trusty Mossberg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, 18 birds.

I sure miss pheasant and grouse hunting.

Awesome looking pheasant Doc !!

My buddies and I use to go out...not many grouse and pheasant around anymore...even on private land...which is where we did do most of our hunting.

I did pretty good during dove season tho...

Yea it was my first time hunting pheasant and I am definitely hooked now. It is so awesome watching the dogs work the birds in the field. I think that was my favorite part of the entire hunt.

Its easy to get hooked on hunting them Dan. The dogs working are my favorite part as well. Next favorite is a flush straight up over my head and the thud felt on the ground when the bird comes crashing down. You dont get a lot of those, but you always remember them.
These are good sized birds with lots of meat.

Back