1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Good morning

Discussion in 'Work Safe' started by meanstreak, May 10, 2017.

1. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

No I really don’t think you can buy a better meter. You can buy lots of cheaper ones. I’m at the point where I don’t have to buy cheap tools anymore if I don’t wanna.

While I was at Lowe’s I picked up a new pair of genuine 9 inch and 12 inch Channel-lock pliers. Now I have some 40 y.o. Craftsman slipjaw pliers that are tighter than the new channel-locks.

But side-by-side comparisons with the new model Craftsman, and the store model Kobalt, show the genuine Channel-lock is still OK, But the Craftsman quality have gone to hell & the Kobalt feel even sloppier.

The best pliers that I have ever bought were Knipex. You can’t find them around here nowadays but mine are 40 years old. I bought them after somebody stole my 50 y.o. Craftsmans. Those stolen pliers are still somewhere, and they are 90 years old now.
  2. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter "Philanthropist"

Good morning everyone. We didn't get to the lake yesterday, so we are going today.

Sunny skies and 43 this morning. It's rather brisk. Actually it's a nice change of pace.

S.R., some things never change. I remember the hurry up and wait routine in the military. After basic and tech school things were more normal.

Ernst, that is a very appropriate picture.

You all have a great day.
    S.R. Crawford likes this.
  3. meanstreak

Craftsman was the bomb. Now it seems like everything is cheap Chinese crap.
    CaddmannQ likes this.
  4. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

Good morning Mossberg Owners. Lovely weather again this morning and not any discernible ash or smoke.

@meanstreak It’s been so long for me buddy, that I don’t remember what the lake looks like. If I don’t break down and go fishing soon my habits will change such that I will never go again.

But today I have scheduled for aquarium maintenance and laundry, as I have been putting those things off. I finally finished the installation of all my exterior electrical work.

Here are the risers
    BC22FB77-FAA8-48E9-A89F-9BD0D4D8CB81.jpeg

Here are the drops
    C28C3BF6-BD77-4EE4-8A97-0C5B78CC4990.jpeg

A conduit “T” in the middle of the long run goes to this lamp, And is the power inlet box for my shed.
    867A74E7-1C57-452B-8DE7-377D0A9C6171.jpeg

The U-shaped loop allows for some earthquake movement between the house and shed. It has tight compression fittings but under pressure it will rotate. I put two clips on the loop but they have very short screws. Later, if I see they have pulled loose, I will know we had some building movement; but the whole business stays together without them.

There is a little extra wire in the conduit bodies to accommodate a motion of up to 6 inches between buildings before a wire will come under severe tension. I made the conduit with four bends in it,
    Plus a slight belly, so it will tend to straighten out or compress under stress, without ripping loose from the structure.

It would look a lot neater if I made a perfectly straight shot with just one bend to the box, but it would have been too rigid. I was going to use plastic flex, and I already had some plus the fittings, but the span between buildings is 5 feet, and I would’ve had to run a rigid conduit or a board to tie it to. Otherwise anybody could’ve pulled it down.

All the power in our neighborhood goes underground but I wasn’t prepared to dig up my concrete. I did however allow for the possibility that I might be forced to do so in the future.
    I hope nobody forces you to do anything you don’t wanna, on such a fine day.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  5. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

After writing that mile long page of text I realized I did not show a picture of the conduit T body.

What you won’t notice is that one of my conduits appears to go from the subpanel to the receptacle box with out any place to pull the wires. The other conduit has left and right conduit bodies, Plus a T body in the middle. That conduit has eight little wires in it.

But the conduit with no boxes has 4 fat #8 wires for the welder. It also has 370° of bends in it.

That’s 10° more than allowed by code, in theory. But that’s a 20 foot straight run in the middle with the coupler. I didn’t wanna bother fishing those fat wires through three-quarter conduit bodies so I pull the wire from the middle in both directions and I didn’t mount the receptacle box until I was done.

That meant that my worst pull was to get 4 #8 through 280°.

I hung this conduit bender from the rafters and pulled down on it to lift the wire up, and it worked easily.
    249F7178-A7EA-4711-90C1-FD10E5F8F613.jpeg
    I don’t own a fish tape, so I pulled the wires with a spare piece of bare number eight.
    meanstreak and S.R. Crawford like this.
  6. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

I have craftsman from 1950s and I have some from 1970s and 2000s and even 2020. Some of it has become total junk and some of it actually got better. But you have to look very carefully.

The thing that amazes me is not how craftsman got worse but how much the imported tools got better. Oh there is still a lot of junk out there, but I have some amazingly good imported tools.
  7. meanstreak

Good morning. Well, barely, if I type fast. Clear skies with whitecaps on the lake. 67 degrees with southerly wind 30 mph and gusts to 45 mph.

We'll be here today then home tomorrow.

Have a great day.
    fellmann and hombre243 like this.
  8. hombre243

hombre243 .30-06 Elite Member

Early muzzleloaders Deer season opens today in Iowa. I will wait and let the beginners shoot all the little trees down and get bored and go home. I will hunt during the week, and next weekend. I still have to make sure Ol Viola` not only makes noise but directs it properly. I put on new sights last year but I can't remember if I sighted it in so, no hunt till it is sighted. I built it for deer and have shot the patch 132 gr round ball. I need to try the conicals I poured too. They're bigger...250 gr. I shoot Blackhorn 209. It uses a special nipple for use with 209 shotshell primers. Full power primers, not the blackpowder anemic ones. The new sights will allow me to shoot 100 yards. But I will probably not have to shoot over 50.

KY Longrifle5.jpg KY Longrifle8.jpg MagSpark.jpg Mag-Spark-209-Primer-Adapter-For-Sidelocks-6x1m-_1.jpg

It is a 2 pc nipple. It is called Mag Spark and this rifle will not shoot anything with a standardd nipple or other powder. It is also particular. i have to soak a cloth patch in spit. Bullets are hard to keep anywhere the bull if i use patch lube.

But, it loves the bullseye when dun right.

(PS Mods can move this to a different thread if necessary. i didn't know where else to shove it.):omg:
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  9. meanstreak

Good morning to each of yous. Cloudy and 60 with an occassional very brief sprinkle.

Going home this afternoon.

Ya'll have a great day.
  10. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

Good afternoon guys.

I made the mistake of going up on the shed roof to fix a flashing and I have been cleaning up roofing tar ever since. I was a total dummy and I left the caulking gun on a hot roof in the hot sun and that stuff just ran like water.
    meanstreak and S.R. Crawford like this.
  11. S.R. Crawford

S.R. Crawford .410

Good afternoon,

I shipped this morning and am currently at the hotel in San Diego. Tomorrow will be another inspection at MEPS and room assignments at MCRD.
    fellmann, meanstreak and CaddmannQ like this.
  12. meanstreak

Good morning everyone. We have clouds and 43 this morning, and a shower went through earlier. Yesterday the high was mid 80s, today will be 51.

S.R., hope things are going well. I realize you probably won't see this for a while.

I drove to Omaha Monday, and back home yesterday. It was a quick trip, but I got to see the grandkids and my sons.

I hope you all have a great day.
    fellmann likes this.
  13. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

Most people don’t have a real relationship with Mink oil, but I love the smell of mink oil in the morning!

I wore my new shit kickers out to the shooting range and here I am greasing them up for the first time.

20C2B94C-2D11-4876-804D-786127CF95D4.jpeg
    Do you know this is the thing I miss most about playing baseball?

Spending a week rubbing mink oil into the glove.
  14. fellmann

fellmann Esoteric Supporter Premier Member

Looks like a nice pair of shoes :)

After the first snow, its getting warmer again and what we got will thaw away this week.

I have ordered Ameriglo I-dot steel sights and a Streamlight TLR-1 HL light to my glock 17 gen5.

8ba2e5f4e5c62c6f9627fda11c3304b668ea8ef8_800x800.jpg
    778e4be285b78157eb8f477262a6f3ead6dfbfc2_800x800.jpg

Now i have to get a new holster :D It will probably be a Safariland 7365 7TS. I really like the 7TS line, the draw is really smooth.

hol.jpeg

Have a nice weekend everybody !
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    cmcdonald, CaddmannQ and meanstreak like this.
  15. meanstreak

Good morning all you rascals. It's cloudy and 42f , 5.55c in T town this morning. Kind of a dreary start to the day. We won't warm up much today. Tomorrow we should see low 60s, then cooler for 5 days or so.

Cadd, that picture reminds me of baseball and basic training. We didn't use mink oil in basic, but lots of polish.

Fellman, that's a good looking holster.

Y'all have a great day.
    fellmann likes this.
  16. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

meanstreak and fellmann like this.
  17. fellmann

fellmann Esoteric Supporter Premier Member

At 8:37 are the ones i have ordered... and at 12:50 the sights in low light

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020 at 1:53 PM
    CaddmannQ likes this.
  18. Ernst

Ernst .270 WIN Supporter "Philanthropist"

Remembering better times

thumb_remember-commandos-when-your-gps-fish-locator-were-rolled-5919490.png
  19. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett .30-06 Supporter

A hunting camp is one of the few places left to us where we can dream of a near-perfect tomorrow. Where the harsh realities of lost riches and faded glories can be forgotten and the dreams of what might be come down to a delightful day with not too much wind, a crisp morning silvered with frost, and find us—at long last—with the right gun, shells, dogs and friends who will be pleased forever to remember the day we “did it all.” -Gene Hill
    cmcdonald, CaddmannQ and meanstreak like this.
  20. meanstreak

Good morning to you all. We have some mid level clouds , 46 degrees, and an ever so slight breeze from the north. The forecast high is mid 50s and wind northerly at 10 mph. All in all a pretty nice day.

I have a little painting around the back porch that needs to be tended to. Perhaps I'll get on that this afternoon.

You all have a great day.