• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

If he is correct, I can get to the pipe by digging up these bushes, But I am hoping I can get a big enough hole to get down 3 feet without removing this trapezoid of concrete.
They have a jet spray attachment that goes on the end of a PVC pipe, which then threads to a garden hose. You can use this to "dig" via water pressure under a sidewalk (if necessary). I forget what it is called.

They have a jet spray attachment that goes on the end of a PVC pipe, which then threads to a garden hose. You can use this to "dig" via water pressure under a sidewalk (if necessary). I forget what it is called.
Thanks, Bob. I have put conduit under a sidewalk before with that method.

I will probably have to just dig up the whole garden.

Good morning Mossberg Owners. It’s shaping up to be cool and slightly overcast but no more rain is predicted for the week.

Well the boatyard all dried out (!) due to a breeze, so I hung more curtains and I welded up the experimental rocket stove.

I also made this shaker grate and an air door/cleanout.
A3B42FB5-4743-402C-A512-58B7023DD76E.jpeg
USAF gray 14ga sheet, collected in 1973, Hill Field, Utah. Cut with sawzall, bent to a channel, and notched with a grinder. Crude, but ok for stove duty.
F8C1F18C-C0F4-4EC0-9400-237488041F41.jpeg
Yesterday eve I did the first test burn out in the WSM.

Fire over the grate!
DB5D204A-E4BF-4B28-B478-563A275742AA.jpeg

The “extra air” door and cleanout port, came from scraps of Dad’s lawn tractor.
FD4B6605-A14F-48E5-BDEB-53E8DB71F323.jpeg
It is pretty smokeless once operating.
CA9F854C-17D1-405C-BEE3-C6C96172DB33.jpeg

28D18069-7919-43FB-BEDE-D8CBEDE82A7B.jpeg

Boiling my sooty old teapot.
2361BA00-BD7E-4135-9EEA-3B968EF210A8.jpeg
I did not get the soup can on the platten hot enough to boil. It all sheds too much heat, but it’s not smoking.

I had stripped a lot of paint off with the wire wheel before I welded this together; but there is still a lot of factory paint left, and I never did get the stove hot enough to burn it all off.

Today I will get back on welding the SS100 chassis. I’m not going to start digging in the garden quite yet. In fact, I am avoiding it and may hire the digging out to a handyman.

You folks have a nice day and avoid shovels whenever possible!

@meanstreak
A friend told me that there were wildfires in Oklahoma as well, and evidently they missed you?

Out here they only reported on the fires in Texas, and we heard nothing about Oklahoma fires.

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

After my first test burn on the rocket stove I decided that the grate needed more ventilation and I added two more vents for a total of eight.

I did another test burn and the performance of the stove had increased plus it was smoking less.

It’s still not quite enough and I am going to increase the vent area.

I decided that I did not want to dig upthe sewer, and I am going to hire a plumber to dig and patch my line.

He will do the job for $2100 and that was much less than I expected him to charge. The good news is that he can do it tomorrow.

I’ll let you all know how it works out.

Meanwhile, the weather here is beautiful today, and so maybe I’m gonna go out and dig up the rosebush which I think is infiltrating my sewer.

A belated good morning.

@Cadd, the fires in Oklahoma were a long way from us. Actually some of the fire was from Texas that the wind blew into Oklahoma. We have had a few small fires in the local area this past week, but no monsters. We have rain in the forecast the next couple of days. Perhaps as much as an inch which will help a lot. I hope they get some in the Texas panhandle as well.

Y'all have yourselves a great day.

I wish we'd just stay on DST and forget all the switching back and forth part. It is stupid.

Oh, you're one of THOSE!!! :rolleyes: ;) Our Senator Rubio is a weirdo for that and I told him so the last time I contacted him.

I like being able to look up in the sky and tell what time it is naturally. :)

Oh, you're one of THOSE!!! :rolleyes: ;) Our Senator Rubio is a weirdo for that and I told him so the last time I contacted him.

I like being able to look up in the sky and tell what time it is naturally. :)
LOL! DST is more advantageous for us mid-northerners. ST would be better for folks like yourself way down south.

Good morning Mossberg owners.
It’s raining again, so no outdoor welding here today. I might cut that little compressor open today. Indoors.

I got most of my excess clay dirt rearranged and mixed in with topsoil and composted wood bark. I got it dried up a lot , but It’s all wet again.

I can’t ever complain about rain, living in the desert, but it does move the schedule.

Anyhoooo . . . Have a happy! ;-)

Pondering the wisdom of getting a pump action shotgun now that I have an issue with my right shoulder. Doing some weights, PT and some hand strengthening, but it has me contemplating a semi-auto.

Don't get old. Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Pondering the wisdom of getting a pump action shotgun now that I have an issue with my right shoulder. Doing some weights, PT and some hand strengthening, but it has me contemplating a semi-auto.

Don't get old. Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.
After all these years of shooting one I would still recommend a pump shotgun and while I'm partial to Mossberg others are also good. Not downplaying a semiauto but as this forum will attest they can be finicky at times depending on the ammunition, especially reduced recoil offerings. And while today neither of us are operation in a military environment I can assure you during my military operational days we only used pump shotguns due to the reliability in harsh conditions.

I would recommend you consider adding a limbsaver recoil pad to your new pump. They make both a slip on version and a permanently affixed one but you may need to adjust for your LOP.

There are many reduced recoil shells on the market today plus many folks are using the mini shells. I'd also recommend you look at the Hornady TAP reduced recoil offerings. You do loose a little muzzle velocity but these are 2 3/4 inch shells so cycling is no issue.

Regards

Husker88, know this may be a radical idea but given your shoulder issues you might want to also looks at a Shockwave. I've been using one since they first came out and the recoil is down you forearm given the birds head grip design. No impact on your shoulders. And yes, you can aim it once you get use to it's operations. If fact, I know someone who shoots clays with one. I'm an old guy and still shoot 3 inch bear loads out of mine.

Just a different thought.

Regards

Husker88, know this may be a radical idea but given your shoulder issues you might want to also looks at a Shockwave. I've been using one since they first came out and the recoil is down you forearm given the birds head grip design. No impact on your shoulders. And yes, you can aim it once you get use to it's operations. If fact, I know someone who shoots clays with one. I'm an old guy and still shoot 3 inch bear loads out of mine.

Just a different thought.

Regards
Luckily, he could just put the birds head grip on his existing weapon for 25 bucks just to see how it feels…Shockwave Technology covers most Mossy pumps I think..

It does take practice, but at short range I can fire shotguns from the hip without a problem. Long or short, but sxs is my favorite. You ALWAYS get two chances to fire. (Pump could jamb. Auto could too. Neither is likely if you keep ‘em clean though.)

But if there’s a need, you can put 24 pellets of buckshot, all at once, into an angry animal with a double barrel.

Ok, mine is only 16 ga, but even so (18) each 0.30” lead balls can really stop anything short of giant bear, and that too if you can stand and aim until the last second.

Back