What's new
Mossberg Owners

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Government shutdown, Obamacare defund

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
It looks like the House will tie Obamacare to the bill to fund the government and send it to the Senate where the Dems will shoot it down. That will result in a government shutdown on 9/30. Up until today they were going to be separate bills which would have been neat and clean for the Senate to pass the gov. funding bill and vote down the obamcare defund. I wonder who will blink first? I'm sure it will get resolved quickly as Congress won't go long without pay. My guess is the Republicans will negotiate to cancel obamacare for another year and hope to win big in the mid term elections next year.

Unfortunately Congress critters will continue to get paid. A shutdown does not effect the entire Gov. , only "non-essential" services and personel. Precisely what gets cut is up to OMB.
The exact details of which government functions would stop during a shutdown is determined by the Office of Management and Budget.[5] However, some specific aspects have applied to all shutdowns in the past. Among these is the closure of national parks and passport offices.[6] "Emergency personnel" continue to be employed, including the military, border agents, doctors and nurses working in federal hospitals, and air traffic controllers.[7] Members of Congress continue to be paid, because their pay cannot be altered except by direct law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_shutdown

GunnyGene said:
Unfortunately Congress critters will continue to get paid.

It doesn't surprise me. To bad because they should be the first to lose pay.

Public opinion on who is to blame for the shutdown will probably determine who blinks. The Republicans have been blinking a lot since the reelection so we'll see. If they back down again it will be the end of Boehner as the lead in the house. I actually don't trust either side to get this right it's more of a matter of hoping the damage they do is limited.

carbinemike said:
GunnyGene said:

Public opinion on who is to blame for the shutdown will probably determine who blinks. The Republicans have been blinking a lot since the reelection so we'll see. If they back down again it will be the end of Boehner as the lead in the house. I actually don't trust either side to get this right it's more of a matter of hoping the damage they do is limited.

The large part of this periodic political budget football game goes back to 2007, and the first 'Continuing Resolution' which was generated by the then Democratic controlled Congress and their inability to pass a budget. We haven't had a budget since then, just this annual or semi-annual bbs (budget bull shit).

The President's approach...no surprise...keep spending like a drunken sailor. We will default on our debt, it's just a matter of when and how bad the SHTF.

President Barack Obama appealed to business leaders on Wednesday to urge Congress to approve an increase in the U.S. debt limit without any conditions attached and avoid a default that is possible as early as mid-October.

"It is going to be important for all of you over the next several weeks to understand what's at stake and to make sure that you are using your influence in whatever way we can to get back to what used to be called regular order around here," Obama told the Business Roundtable.

The president's speech to about 100 top corporate executives was part of an effort to focus on domestic budget and economic issues after a month dominated by foreign policy, mainly the conflict in Syria.

"I'm happy to negotiate with them around the budget," Obama said. "What I will not do is to create a habit, a pattern, whereby the full faith and credit of the United States becomes a bargaining chip to set policy."

He reiterated his vow not to negotiate over raising the debt limit, which Republicans want to tie to spending cuts or to blocking his signature healthcare program. He said he was willing to haggle over the terms of the budget, but not against the threat of a government shutdown or killing the healthcare program.

The U.S. Treasury is expected to exhaust measures to avoid exceeding the $16.7 trillion debt limit as soon as mid-October. If the borrowing cap is not raised, the United States will not be able to pay all of its bills and would go into default.

carbinemike said:
The President's approach...no surprise...keep spending like a drunken sailor. We will default on our debt, it's just a matter of when and how bad the SHTF.

Sure looks that way. You can't only float bad checks forever. Eventually it catches up with you.

Would be ideal on both parts if you ask me.

That way maybe some sheep will open their eyes and actually demand accountability and balanced budgets from here on out.

Too much waste, and too many pet projects have been the reason for the boat we're in now, but the cause is lack of accountability. To them, it's always someone elses' fault. In reality, it is all of their fault.

They were hired to do a job, and they just hee-haw around.

If the budget is too big to balance, then gov't is too big. That is what it all boils down to plain and simple.

We don't need gov't red tape in every aspect of our lives and now our healthcare and insurance and other stuff too.

Balance the budget like you're supposed to. And butt out of everything else that Gov't was never intended to do.

And spend within your means like you should.

If you can't, then it's time to get in line to accept your pinkslip and stop being a part of the problem.

The Gov and media know what buttons to push to scare the uninformed public out of their wits about a government shutdown. They will make it sound like they are boarding up all government offices laying off all the security forces....or worse, impacting handouts.

carbinemike said:
GunnyGene said:

His end is coming regardless. There is a movement here in his district to "fire" him. He is inept as a leader and may as well be a RINO. His flip-flopping on issues and inability to draw the republican party together has a lot of people here pissed off. He has a fight coming. And him and Obama going at each other looks like two blind men trying to put out a fire with buckets.

Obama must think we are complete idiots saying that just because we raise the debt limit doesn't mean we are going deeper in debt. Really? We have raised the debt limit a hundred times and each time we have gone deeper in debt and hit the new limit. Seems like a pattern of poor financial control to me but what do I know, I'm just "an average person". Why doesn't he use the term he really thinks of us..."subjects" or maybe "peons".

All I really can see is that we are 16 trillion+ in debt. We have added approximately 12 trillion of that between Bush and Obama. I (we) have nothing to show for that debt. Nothing is better. The standard of living and real wealth for the "average person" is less now than it was in 1999. That debt didn't buy us jack. If we don't have anything to show for it, where did the money go?

President Obama on the debt ceiling:
"Now, this debt ceiling -- I just want to remind people in case you haven't been keeping up -- raising the debt ceiling, which has been done over a hundred times, does not increase our debt; it does not somehow promote profligacy. All it does is it says you got to pay the bills that you've already racked up, Congress. It's a basic function of making sure that the full faith and credit of the United States is preserved."

Obama went on to suggest that "the average person" mistakenly thinks that raising the debt ceiling means the U.S. is racking up more debt:

"It's always a tough vote because the average person thinks raising the debt ceiling must mean that we're running up our debt, so people don't like to vote on it, and, typically, there's some gamesmanship in terms of making the President's party shoulder the burden of raising the -- taking the vote."

He's using big boy words now.

profligacy.

For "THE AVERAGE PERSON", that means being too wasteful.

carbinemike said:
John A. said:

Good one John. :lol: I wonder where the speech writer heard that one?

Probably on his word for the day desktop calendar. :lol:

John A. said:

profligacy.

For "THE AVERAGE PERSON", that means being too wasteful.

Help me out here. When exactly was the last time the debt ceiling was raised and the Govt. didn't max it out as fast as possible? :x

We need to cut that credit card up.