• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Graduated from loading 12 gauge to loading 16 gauge!

TomcatPC

.270 WIN

Basically, the photo says it all. First go at reloading 16 gauge shells. 1 Oz. number 6 shot with 700X Charge with Remington Hulls. Hope these fire alright in my 1930's Remington Model 11?

When it comes to loading the 16 ga, I have even less gear than I did for 12 gauge, but at least I have the 16 gauge roll closer (roll crimping tool) and that makes all the difference. I have a de/re-capping tool for 16 gauge and that is a God send.
Mark

Nice. Love the old roll crimp tool.

I picked up 20g and 16g dies for my lee loader but still have not loaded any up yet. I need more hours in the day.

My favorite load is #6 shot.

And I really enjoy shooting/using 16 guage.

I can't explain it, but there is something..."satisfying" about using a vintage shotshell closer (from what I've seen, Victorian and early 20th Century Ads use "Closer" in place of "Roll Crimping Tool"). And that just WORK!!! If you do your part, get the old star crimp ironed out, or trimmed and get it even as possible. I'm still learning....understatement there.

I've got some more wads for Cheddite Hulls on the way from Ballistic Products. These will be used in the Winchester Hulls I trimmed to 2 1/2" to be loaded and fired in my Crescent Victor Single Shot.
Mark

Here is that Crescent "Victor" I mentioned, actually it is a "Hardware Store/ Trade Name" shotgun version of Crescent Victor marked "Newport Model WN"
2 1/2" chamber, hence trimming hulls for reloading...fun project.
Mark

If your looking for empty hulls in 16 ballistic products has them! One of my single shots is in 16. I have 12 and 20 dies looking for a set in 16 for my MEC loader!

For the time being I have enough 16 Ga. hulls. Just ordered some SG-16 wads from Ballistic Products and loaded another box of 2 1/2" 16 ga. tonight.
Mark

Mark, those are some really great shotguns you have. Lot's of history and memories within them. And they still shoot good patterns I hope.

Not sure if they pattern good...I do know that I can hit a clay pigeon with them. That is when I throw the pigeon myself.
Mark

Here is how it patterns at about 10 feet-ish LOL. Ran out of clay pigeons, so I shot the box they came it.

Really starting to love this cheap 1920's Crescent Victor 16 Ga. It is so easy to swing and get on target... Those shells have the worst looking roll crimps I have made so far LOL, but they shot just fine.

Mark

Back