• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

gun lubricants

I use a few lubricants based on what kind of mood I'm in (mostly what's handy at the moment :lol: ).

I use a lot of Mobil1, Weapon Shield, outers gun oil and 3n1 oil, and a homemade concoction called Ed's Red that consists of motor oil, transmission fluid, lanolin, and kerosene .

Grease what slides, oil what rotates or pivots.

I haven't tried the Amsoil MP line but having just read the product literature I believe it might be pretty good for some storage applications, but I would have zero confidence in it as a lubricant..

Have you heard of Frog Lube? I use Hoppes as well, but both are good.

Good Stuff...

=========================================================

FROGLUBEIMAGE.jpg

==========================================================

http://www.froglube.com/roothome.htm

==========================================================

Unless you go to a gun show (SHOT show) I can't find anywhere to get a free sample. But, they aren't that expensive either. I only have a small bottle, and I'll be upgrading to a larger size. I as well wanted to "check it out first".

*the cheapest kit i could find in a 4oz, is here on ebay. $24.00+ $4.00 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FrogLube-CLP-4- ... 45fcf7d0a4

and $1 of every purchase of a FrogLub™ 4oz or 8oz kit will go to benefit the Special Operations Warrior Foundation (SOWF)
so really you are supporting a good cause and it's still *cheaper than anyone else on the net.

**(so far from what I've seen).

Cabela's doesn't even have it!!! :shock:

ok, from what ive read you warm metal parts up and apply froglube and let it sit,then wipe off, what about the areas of the gun that normally would get grease instead of oil.

sbatten said:
ok, from what ive read you warm metal parts up and apply froglube and let it sit,then wipe off, what about the areas of the gun that normally would get grease instead of oil.

In my opinion, nothing on your Mossberg should ever need grease. Oil is plenty. The only time I have ever heard of greasing a gun is with an AR.
If you have to heat your gun up to lube it don’t you think that is a step too many? I mean really, it is just steel not the space shuttle….my opinion only

In fact (or is it "In my opinion"....)

many parts of a Mossberg shotgun need no lubrication at all, or at most just a very light film.

I'm gonna go with a light film of oil and call it good on the Mossbergs! ;)

sbatten said:

I used your post as the basis for the email...thanx for the question...

Ok I received an answer from Froglube...
===========================================================

Hi Froglube people!

I have a question for you, from what I've read you warm metal parts up and apply Froglube and let it sit, then wipe it off. However, what about the areas of the gun that would normally get grease instead of oil. I see that Froglube dissolves carbon and petro-chemicals on contact. So what do you use in place of the grease product? Is the paste acceptable for those areas?

Thanx for taking the time to read this.

Marc

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Customer Service" <mail@froglube.com>

Hi Marc,

Warming the surface simply accelerates and optimizes the performance of the product. This is why it works exceptionally well during the firing of the weapon. Note also, that firing represents the hottest state the weapon reaches---which is really the best time to goop it all over the outer/inner parts. Let it sit until cool, then simply wipe off the excess. If you can't get to the range, that's when the wife's hair dryer becomes handy :)

You can certainly substitute traditional 'grease' with the paste. You'll find improved friction reduction and the amount needed to be very sparing. 'A little goes a long way'.

After months of use, you will also find that FrogLube will permanently 'decarbonize' the weapon. This is an amazing outcome and one you will enjoy seeing. Accordingly, using petroleum products will become obsolete.

best, Larry

==============================================================

I hope that clears it up for all of yous guys.....

Any Marvel Mystery Oil fans here?

I mix a quart in with each oil change on the Jeep and ad 4oz to every 10gal of gas, but haven't tried it for any of my firearms yet...

Does anyone on that side of the pond use WD-40? I must admit that on both my Mossbergs [500 and 590] I tend to clean them off using WD-40 on a patch and then give them a wipe over [spraying a little into the trigger action], and that's it. Some of the other websites that I have looked at over the years seem to be keen on Breakfree CLP and the like, and regard WD-40 with varying degrees of horror. Maybe it's a European thing [I'm in the UK]?

Depends on what you want to use it for. As a lube no, rust preventative ok but there are gun specific products on the market that do the job better and longer for not much more than WD40. WD40 was not designed to be a lube but it works like one to a certain capacity. If that’s all I had I would use it just more often. Same with rust prevention, use more often. I have recently started using RemOil and have been real impressed in the wet weather. Not that spendy either

Back