• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Gun magazine reviews

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
Got a question about the reviews, etc. in the dozens of magazines, buyer guides, etc. I don't subscribe to any mags, but do look thru them on the rack occasionally while waiting around for the wife to do her shopping.

Of the many magazines claiming to have the best reviews which one or two can actually be relied on to tell the truth? :?

I'm looking to narrow down the list for my next gun purchase, and figured a magazine that has a good reputation for reliable and truthful reviews might help with that.

I haven't read a "review" article in years.

Aside from getting all the reviews I ever need from the net now, most gun mag reviews are nothing more than paid advertisements like you find on cable tv between 4 and 6 AM for the newest exersize machine and cookware.

I agree with John A. on this one. I really have a hard time believing what I read in most magazines. I do enjoy reading some from time to time but before making a purchase I always go to the internet to do my research and then try to find someone local that I can test it out first hand.

Have you ever read a review in a gun mag that was overall negative?

Manufacturers pay big bucks for those articles which are a significant source of revenue for the magazines. Negative reviews won't get them repeat business, so objectivity is likely sacrificed to the almighty dollar...

I get a couple as does one of my coworkers. One of the ones that we've seen that has the most objective reviews is Gun Tests (www.gun-tests.com). It does not appear as your standard, color paper magazine. It is plain white paper, not as many ads and gives pretty good reviews with pluses and minuses. Many gun-to-gun comparisons and seems to have more technical reviews sans the fluff. I enjoy reading it when it shows up at the shop.

Other than that I go on different website and search for reviews on whatever I'm interested in. Of course, you need to wade thru all the BS that is floating around out there and filter the stuff from fan-boys who are stuck solely on one product.

Back