• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Handgun Recommendations and Advice...

Every Kahr I have ever shot in rapid fire, while admittedly not being trained on the particular gun, I short stroke the trigger reset every elfin' time.

Slow fire shooting makes me want to love the gun. Rapid fire I think it could get me killed in a fast and close gunfight.

Admittedly I've never shot a Kahr rapid fire. But I believe the trigger is extremely similar to a DAO revolver. Just way smoother. I'm gonna try and get access to one soon and fire off some shots. I believe there's a local competitor who has a PM9 and he will let me try it out.

I'm jonesing for a pocket/ankle carry gun again. Never really liked my S&W 642... little palm stinger.

Doesn't Ruger now make a LC380 or something? .380 in the LC9 size gun?

They do make that gun. Same size and dimensions as a LC9 which is chambered in 9mm Luger. Dunno why, but they do. It has the earlier trigger like the original LC9~ but for a pocket carry DAO gun that is what I actually prefer. Kinda like shooting a DAO S&W 442. No reset issues and safe for pocket carry without the likelihood of a ND.

Well I went with the Ruger LCP .380. I was at the LGS and held the SCCY 2, it was a little large for what I wanted for a pocket gun. So were the other 9mm's.

The LCP really fits well with the factory pocket holster.

Plus living in sunny Florida near the beach:D All you wear is shorts and a tee shirt.

Thank you to everyone for their input and advice.

Let us know how you like it.

Question;
On a striker fired DAO, how heavy a trigger pull would you consider to be too heavy?

Lol, yeah that would be awful! My wife has looked at a couple things (mostly based on things like pretty colors that don't actually mean the firearm is developed for a woman) one being the SCCY which has a trigger pull of 9 pounds and another that wasn't as heavy, maybe 7 pounds but had A LOT of travel before breaking.

I'm wondering about another that's says 6-1/5 to 7 pounds but without as much travel. Very little take up and a good break. But I haven't personally shot it.

She's now leaning towards the Sig P238 .380 and Kimber micro either 9mm or .380 but there are a couple we haven't tried yet like the one with a 6 to 7 pound pull. Just trying to narrow things down and either include a couple more to look into or rule them out.

Let us know how you like it.

Sorry guys I just refound this thread,,,,

It goes bang when I pull the trigger. Good for up close and personable. Good little pocket gun for the price.
DSCF0006.JPG
DSCF0007.JPG

I prefer my striker fired handguns to be in the 5lbs range.

Had my shield lightened to 3lbs and that was way too light. Popped off a few rounds before I wanted to.

The slight take up doesn't bother me too much. And tell me if I'm looking to hard or unreasonably, but I'm used to firing my Kimber with almost zero take up and no travel and it breaks at about 4-1/2 pounds. So with the different trigger like some sigs and like the shield you mention, the travel is weird to me so I've avoided looking at a couple guns. I've definitely ruled out a few with heavy triggers like the one at 9 pounds.

There are a couple we'll definitely rent but I don't want my bias to prevent her from checking something out that may work. Does all that make sense?

Yeah SAO guns are really sweet to shoot.

It's normal to have a small amount of take up on a striker fired pistol, then you meet the "wall". Then the break.

You learn to "prep" the trigger.

I got my wife the LC380 (in a pretty purple...lol.. her favorite color) and it does have a long trigger pull.
But when SHTF and she needs to use it, I appreciate the long trigger pull just in case she gets ancy and accidentally squeezes one off too soon.
She's only Shooting it evey so often just to familiarize herself with it since it's not something she has had to use ever (thank god) but I did get a trigger kit for it that made the long pull a bit shorter since she hates the long pull of it. But she likes it now and once I get that trigger kit installed I know she will even more.
Now it won't be like my XDS trigger but better than what it currently has.
Oh and I added the pierce mag extender cause the grip barely fits the 4 fingers comfortable. Just feels better with that extension.

Last edited:
^^^ That is a really excellent gun, and she chose wisely about the DAO feature. Congrats. My wife has a raspberry purple Ruger LC9. It's really nice.

I just don't get the negative comments for a DAO semi-auto that many people voice. So many thousands or even millions LOVE a S&W 442/642/Chief Special/Bodyguard DA J-frame, even commenting that the longer trigger stroke is a safety feature which doesn't affect reliability or shoot ability or accuracy. Those guns are the quintessential pocket revolver. In the interest of disclosure I do own some myself and carry them without any holster while just dropped in a pocket.

So that is why the wife and I own TWO original Gen 1 Ruger LC9 pistols rather than the new LC9s PRO which brags of an extremely light crisp trigger. Many reviews comment about how the trigger is "almost TOO light". That, folks, makes for a LOUSY self defense gun carried in a concealed carry mode. Though such a trigger is great at the range if somebody wants to fool themselves.

^^^ That is a really excellent gun, and she chose wisely about the DAO feature. Congrats. My wife has a raspberry purple Ruger LC9. It's really nice.

I just don't get the negative comments for a DAO semi-auto that many people voice. So many thousands or even millions LOVE a S&W 442/642/Chief Special/Bodyguard DA J-frame, even commenting that the longer trigger stroke is a safety feature which doesn't affect reliability or shoot ability or accuracy. Those guns are the quintessential pocket revolver. In the interest of disclosure I do own some myself and carry them without any holster while just dropped in a pocket.

So that is why the wife and I own TWO original Gen 1 Ruger LC9 pistols rather than the new LC9s PRO which brags of an extremely light crisp trigger. Many reviews comment about how the trigger is "almost TOO light". That, folks, makes for a LOUSY self defense gun carried in a concealed carry mode. Though such a trigger is great at the range if somebody wants to fool themselves.
My sIG p220 had a terrible DA pull. But my sw 642 pull was fine.

I shot a kahr cm9 DAO and that pull was fine as well.

Try multiple firearms to see what feels right and fire them to see how the recoil feels.

And BTW I am speaking only about pocket guns, because of the dynamics of drawing a pistol or revolver from a pocket or purse under stress.

I carry a single action pistol of some sort or another in an outside carry holster somewhat often.

Updating;

My wife on her own with no input or instruction from me, chose and narrowed the list down to the Colt Mustang .380 and Kimber Micro .380. Both stainless, the Colt with wrap around grips and the Kimber with their logo rosewood grips. She made her final decision between the two based on the sights. The colt had solid black and the Kimber had white dots.

She like the slide and in her words "the action" meaning manipulating the slide was easy and comfortable for her. It felt good in her hands and she likes the trigger. We haven't purchased it yet, I'm still wanting her to try the Micro 9mm too.

Back