• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

He who controls the spice controls the universe

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Yes, that's a quote from Dune. And regardless of whatever you control, gives you power.

Momma controls the kitchen. No doubt about it.

So, when my wife wanted a spice rack for the kitchen, and with as much as I like to eat and as good as she cooks, she got a spice rack.

But she didn't want a small hanging spice rack.

No, that would not do. Nope. Can't have something like that hanging on the wall over the back of the stove with stuff getting knocked off into the soup all the time.

She wanted a big rolling spice rack that took up the large annoying space between the stove and the wall and made like the cabinets. Apparently she had been looking at pictures on the internet and showed me a picture of what she wanted.

I look at the picture a minute, scratch me head and look back at her as I wonder if she really means it or is joking with me and judging by her facial expression, she's serious, so I look back at the picture and study it for a few minutes.

Okay, I suppose I could do something a little like that. Let me see what the measurements are and kind of wood I have and go from there.

Might was well make sure I have an extra cabinet pull that matches the cabinets we put up year before last.

Yep, found one.

What about stain?

Nope, gotta go buy some golden oak. Don't want a dark walnut spice rack. Just wouldn't match at all.

OK, what's the worst that can happen?

spice rack 021.JPG

spice rack 020.JPG

spice rack 017.JPG

Thanks.

I think she's happy with it.

And it freed up almost an entire cabinet for whatever she's going to put in it.

Momma's happy, nobody's hungry. Life is good.

I wonder where are you storing the cummin, the paprika, bay leaves, cloves, marjoram, saffron, thyme, caraway, allspice, sage, cinnamon, coriander, annato, fennel, cardamom and the mustard seeds?
Didn't see them in the rack which by the way, is a great idea. I might be copying it soon. Cheers.

You need to look closer. Most of that is in the 2nd shelf.

Nice job John. Is it oak?

May I ask why you didn't use non swiveling Castors?

No, it's pine and 1/4" plywood backing and the little things in the front to keep the spices from falling out were firring strips that I ripped on the tablesaw and ran the router over the top leading edge to give a little decorative flair to it.

Started out as a 1x6x8' piece of shelving LOL

You can ask me anything. The short answer is those wheels were the ones that I found. Non-swiveling would've worked great.

If I could go back and do it again, I wouldn't have made the shelves solid. I would've drilled some holes and used those adjustable shelf support things. Would've made it look better without so many screwholes in the side of it.

Thinking about getting some 3/8" plug/caps to go in them.

Just don't let the soup boil over and run down all over those shelves and little bottles.

The first time she has to clean dried chowder off of all that stuff at once, your Mrs will let you know pronto.

This, of course, is based on what I know about my Mrs so YMMV.

Nice, wish I had room in the kitchen for something like that

aha...now that I see it on my pc...

still looks good.

Just don't let the soup boil over and run down all over those shelves and little bottles.

The first time she has to clean dried chowder off of all that stuff at once, your Mrs will let you know pronto.

This, of course, is based on what I know about my Mrs so YMMV.

Make some sliding doors made of some thin plastic/lexan?

Actually I was just being silly. As long as you're careful with the soup there should be no big cleaning issues.

But now that I've taken the time to think about it my one serious comment would be that I do not like to store any kind of food items next to the oven.

None of that stuff needs to get any hotter (or be repeatedly heated) if you want it to stay fresh.

What goes in the cabinets directly next to my oven are pots and pans and barbecue utensils, but never food items, nor do I store them over or next to the stove.

I know this is way off topic, but just wanted to say something about stuff staying fresh.

You do NOT have to store eggs in the refrigerator.

I know that most people (in the US do) but people in England for example think us blokes are silly for refrigerating their eggs.

And if you think about it, as long as an egg doesn't get cracked, it remains sterile inside because it's wrapped in an amniotic sac inside the shell.

And an egg won't suddenly hatch after a week or two sitting on the counter top either.

For an egg to grow into a chicken, several things have to happen.

1. heat--about 99 degree's F (that's why mother hens sit on their eggs)
2. Momma hen turns the eggs routinely.
3. naturally a rooster has to fertilize the egg, and which is the little white blotch you'll see when you crack an egg open in your cake mix is rooster ummm, sperm.

So, a lot has to happen to hatch chicks. Refrigerating does nothing to prevent them from hatching, which is why a lot of folks think eggs are refrigerated.

Anyway, there are a lot of things that are refrigerated that don't necessarily have to be.

I personally hate eating bread that's been in the freezer after it thaws it. Always soggy and tastes funny.

My understanding is that there's a protective coating when an egg is laid, and they can be kept unrefrigerated for several weeks. And I've found it true. After finding several dozen eggs that my hens hid in the pasture. None were rotten, and I estimate they were there about 2 weeks.

Now once you wash a fresh egg, it removes the coating, and the eggs should be refrigerated.

I don't wash my eggs. And usually they sit on the counter a week or so, before being put into cartons, and into the refrigerator.

I've never tested the longevity at room temp, with store bought eggs. So I can't speak to those.

^ Finally, someone with old world knowledge.

Thank you.

Back