• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

HEAVY WALLED BARREL vs. STANDARD 835 BARREL

Hey guys. I have been wondering what the exact thickness of the barrel walls are on the 590A1 heavy-walled barrel and the standard Mossberg 835 barrel? Are they the Same or is the 590A1 thicker? I know the barrels are interchangeable. If you look closely, the 590A1 design has borrowed a lot form the 835, however in that association, I was wondering whether the barrel thicknesses are the same. I know the 500 barrel is not. Chokes could play a role with the 835, but I am just talking the standard thickness of the barrel wall. Are they the same or not? Thanks in advance for any info.

Flash!

It depends on the datum point from which you take your measurement. The outer circumference tapers down so it is really difficult to give you an answer.

The 835 being a hunting shotgun would have me guessing that the barrel wall thickness is going to be thinner.

Thanks for the replies. Yes of course the chamering is different as the 835 takes 3.5" rounds. As I stated before, the 590A1 borrowed the barrel band from the 835, and the magazine cap. I have heard from guys who have purchased 500's with cyl. bore barrels that later wanted to choke them, but couldnt find a gunsmith to do it because there wasnt enough barrel thickness to thread the inside. Interestingly enough, the 835 is overbored, and threaded, which I would guess means is thicker than a standard cyl. bore barrel as there is enough meat on the thing to have been threaded. It also fires 3.5" mags which are punishers so I was wondering if it actually is a thicker barrel? Possibly thicker but not as thick as the "heavy-walled barrel"? Not sure.

Back