• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hello from SoCal

raven01750

.270 WIN
Well, I'm Paul aka raven01750. I live in San Diego and have recently gotton the gun bug. Again. I used to live in the woods as a kid. Got my first Daisy BB gun at 6, shot my first single shot 22 at about 9. Then went on from there. grew up, joined the Navy, saw the world and got married. The ex didn't care for guns. The one time I took her out shooting, later on she admitted that she thought I was going to shoot her. LOL. I'm still not sure why I stayed with her for 22 years!
Anyway, kids are growing up now. One 11 and one 9. The 11 year old last year wanted a Daisy Red Rider BB Gun for Christmas. (How many of us started the same way.) Then I bought the pellet gun with a scope. Almost 22 velocities but accuracy was not it's strong point. And then it dawned on me. Why not get back to what I used to love.
I bought a gun safe for my home and my guns came home from the gun safe at the ex's. I bought a Walther P22 with the 5" barrel and then started shopping for that 12. Fell in love with the Benelli but couldn't see spending $1800.00 here in SoCal. Found the 930 SPX with the Pistol Grip and was pretty much hooked. Again.
I read the reviews, M24shooter sold me. Plus the NRA giving it shotgun of the year didn't hurt either. I planned on having multiple barrels so I could use it for any occasion. I ordered my 930 in April and finally got it in late June. I wish it was a happy delivery but it wasn't. I had problems. All well documented of course. But I'm keeping the faith. It's going back to the factory for the second time even though it has never been fired. I have the second Slug Barrel for it and four different brands of sabot rounds waiting for the day I can go and find her sweet spot.
I plan on mounting a Nikon Model 8445 Slughunter Scope on that slug barrel as soon as I have that extra $208.99 laying around. LOL.
I plan on using it for hunting primarily, Deer and Hog here in San Diego County, quickly changing over to the shorter 18.5" barrel if society decides to implode. Hoping it doesn't. Life is coming full circle now. A lot older and the terrain here is brutal. But getting out again is glorious. Have a great day everyone. And nice to meet you all.

LOL. Fly over country. Your lucky. I sometimes miss the ability to poke my head out the back door and shoot something!

Welcome to the board again raven...!!

Been to San Diego a few times on TDY for the DoD...stayed 3 times in La Jolla ( Torrey Pines )...visited Fightertown...the Top Gun school ( was NAS, now MCAS )...the Fighter museum, the SD Zoo of course, and checked out the Gaslight district.

Awesome area of Cali...

MIRAMAR.jpg

Welcome aboard!

You certainly have nice taste in guns! Good luck with the 930, sorry to hear you're having issues but I'm sure Mossberg will get you fixed up in no time. We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post up some pics of any firearms you own the various sub-forums. Let us know if you have any questions. Oh, and thank you for your service!

Enjoy the site!

raven01750 said:
Thanks. How did you guys do in the Hurricane? Hope everyone is well.
Paul

My area is over 300 ft above sea level, so aside from some heavy rain and high gusting winds...we did OK. Other low lying areas, especially around the creeks, streams, then rivers did not fare so well.
People are still without power in PA, NJ, and NY.

Thanx for the Welcome Sir. My Service? It wasn't what our young men and women have to deal with today for sure. Serve two or three tours in places God didn't deem to finish. Thanks to them.
I will always have questions. And try and be helpful when I can.
Lets see. My firearms? I have a 22 revolver that I use as an example of a gun that is more effective if you throw it than shoot it. LOL. An old Bolt Action Mossberg 410 Model 173 that I have been lugging around for about 40 years now, 8MM Mauser (beautiful gun won't hit S**t), Marlin 30-30 Model 336, Marlin Papoos 22LR (Love that little gun. At 3.5 lbs it's a hoot), The Wather P22 and the Mossberg 930 SPX w Pistol Grip. No AR's although I am still contemplating one or similar NATO type in the future.
But since I consider myself a Defensive type now I have been concentrating on deterent type weapons that anyone in my household can use instead of what "I" think of as offensive types. Plus California makes it real hard to put together something that could be REALLY effective. LOL.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum! Congratulations on your new Mossberg 930 autoloader. Be sure to post up any and all questions you may have. Do you have any pictures of your other firearms?

LOL. Nothing in the quality of what you produce Sir. Nope. I'm really just starting out again. I needed to get back to some of the simpler happy times. Living in SoCal is not as easy as some places. Just finding a place to shot can be challenging. But maybe in the future I'll put something up.
Paul

Paul, Welcome to Mossberg Owners! And! Yes, Thank You for your service!!!

My dad used to live in SoCal, in Riverside. He served in the navy on an aircraft carrier, but I cant remember the name now. When ever I would visit, San Diego and Coranado were definitely a #1 destination! We'd tour whatever boat was docked there, and watch training goin on and walk around. 4th of July in San Diego was awesome! Good times...

Anyhow, Its good to have you!!!

Hi Brad. Thanks for the welcome. And nice Web Page. My last GF used more than one of the items you sell! LMAO!
Paul

Well, of hand I'm at a loss... I havent been making much at all lately because of some health issues, and I'm behind on other things. So, anything I have sent to SoCal has been some time ago.

Most of my work and what is on the site is for dogs. The shell cuff is the only thing on there not dog related...

Ah, then your missing a marketing area. Check ebay under the "Adult" section, type in collars and maybe you can find new ways to make new friends. Seriously. Your an artist with leather. Maybe you can find other items that you can make that would be of interest to others with lets say "Different" taste. We live in a facinating world. I have been to 13 countries so far and still travel extensively for my job with DON. I'm as straight as they come but in SoCal, we have to accept all different kinds. They don't call California the land of Fruits and Nuts for nothing! :D

The shotshell holder is nice. Could you do something like that and add a raised cheek piece? I am a little concerned that the stock on the 930 is not going to be a good fit with stock to cheek contact. Plus I am planning on shooting Sabot rounds that are 1900+FPS. The manufacturer says to expect between 46 to 48 pounds of force during recoil. My shoulder won't last long with that kind of punishment. I'm thinking maybe I should add a "Limbsaver Recoil Pad, Model 10201" to help but so far I haven't even been able to fire the gun (or even keep it in my possesion) since I bought it so what I'm ultimately going to do with it is still up in the air.
Paul

Nah man... I'm gonna leave people collars alone. My mom and kids see my site, so it stays PG, and really... The work I do is an extension of the things that are important to me. I have to slow it down and do it mainly as a hobby at this point, and I'm unconcerned about not having a monopoly or leaving an area of market uncornered! ;) I'll do what I'm able as i'm able, either for guns or dogs my friend! I'll stick to straight laced! :D

AS for the 930, anything is possible!!! ;)

Back