• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hello From UpState SC

OldMan

Hello everyone!

I've been in and out of the shooting sports since the age of 14. My first gun was a H&R Topper Model 158 in 20 gauge. I loved that gun and wished I kept it.

In my 20's I got into reloading, including casting my own bullets. Never did re-load any shotgun shells but wanted to try it sometime. Never did though.

Then I reloaded .38, .357, 9mm, and 30-30 Winchester. Had a great time doing it.

I've mostly owned handguns but recently acquired a couple shotguns which needed refinishing.

The Mossberg is my first shogun with interchangeable chokes which I'll have questions about.

Handguns:

DSCN1708.jpg

Top row: Ruger LCP .380 (CCW), Taurus PT-111 Millenium Pro 9mm. (CCW)
Bottow row: Springfield 1911-A1 .45 stainless (target shooting), Taurus Judge stainless .45LC/.410 (home defense)

Shottys:
DSCN1706.jpg

Top: Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works, 16 gauge, refinished, made between 1936 & 1945
Middle: J. Stevens Model 59A, .410, refinished, discontinued around 1973
Bottom: Mossberg 500, standard field with 28" barrel. Manufactured October 2011. Lol!
I'm thinking of getting the 18-1/2" barrel for home defense as well.

I like mostly target shooting but do hunt deer from time to time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum!

Hi! Happy to have you aboard. Enjoy, there are lots of knowledgeable people that will be able to answer any questions you have.

Howdy OldMan, and welcome to the club. Very nice collection you have there. That 1911 is so beautiful. That Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works shotty looks very similar to the H&R Topper M48 I have. I wish it was in such a good shape as yours,but can't have everything. oh well.

Thanx for sharing and I look forward to seeing more of ya around here.

Also...here's a topic we have here about chokes by SHOOTER13...if it doesn't cover your question always remember we are here to help..so ask us anything....

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2090&hilit=chokes

Welcome aboard!

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so it was great posting pics straight off! Im a bit of a pistol guy too and love your assortment. Be sure to stop into the various sub-forums and check out all MO has to offer. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

Holy Crap, another reloader in the group! That's great news! Count me in the reloader/caster club. oli700 is another caster/reloader and I'm sure you'll hear from him. I think blue is also a reloader, and I may be able to think of more of our members who reload. Please spend some time posting in the Ammo => Reloading section. Maybe we can get others excited enough to explore the hobby!

The Taurus Millenium Pro is a real good pistol, particularly the 9mm.

And your stainless Mil-Spec is totally cool. I have a parkerized 5" Mil-Spec and another Springer that I carry on duty. BIG 1911 fanboy, here. And there's a crapload of MossbergOwners members here with 1911s. I believe that several have the same exact gun as you!

The Judge has always enjoyed very high sales numbers, but the cost of buying ammo for it is kinda steep for plinking/practice isn't it? What ammo are you buying for it as a HD/SD gun?

And the Ruger LCP; what a neat "much improved" Kel-Tec .380 she is. Made in USA, Lifetime Warranty, reliable and well built. What's not to like?

Welcome OldMan.

I'm a reloader too! I have a Dillon 550B, a Lee Precision, and an old Lee turret press and 4 or 5 assorted single die presses. I'm thinking about getting a Dillon 1050 too. I think I have just about every caliber die set ever created but I mostly make 5.56, .270, .308, .38sp (for my 10 year old - seriously), 9mm and .45. I have a friend who wants me to make .45LC. He's into Single action so if you have any wisdom to share about .45LC I'm all ears.

Also a big 1911 fan. My current favorite is my Rock Island, that's right, made in the good old Philippines. Great shooting little 1911 that will out shoot my old GI Colt any day (go figure).

Anyway, welcome. this is a great community. I've only been here a couple weeks and have already made some great friends!

Don't be a stranger,

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

ripjack13,
Great info on chokes which I was looking for. Thanks!

nitesite,
If I had a good place to shoot more often I would consider getting back into reloading. Hercules Bullseye was my favorite pistol powder back then.

I've always loved the 1911's! One time I had a Thompson 1911 and it was one sweet shooting gun. It was a hoot to own a gun by the company that made the Thompson sub machine gun!

The Judge I got in a trade along with the ammo for it. I traded a Springfield XD 9mm for it because I wanted a Judge and didn't like the trigger safety on the XD. It always bugged me. Lol! The ammo I have in the Judge is .410 000 buck in alternating cylinders with Winchester 45 LC JHP silvertips. I have Cor-Bons in the .380 and speer gold dots in the 9mm.

The Ruger is a nice little back up to the 9mm. A friend of mine went with the Kel-Tec. both are pretty much identical. As you know the Ruger is a clone of the Kel-Tec.

Expat_PM,
Wow! I've always wanted a Dillon press! I reloaded my pistols and 30-30 with a RCBS turret press. It was fun and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Welcome from the west, Arizona!

Nice family pictures you got there.... :lol:

I'm a biased to-wards Rugers my self (so real nice LCP :D )
But your 1911 is sure purty..... :mrgreen:

Lateck,

Good looking collection of firearms OldMan !!

Which one is your favorite...?!

^^ Thank you very much ^^

Shooter13,
I'm going to have to say the Springfield 1911-A1 is my favorite to shoot. I would shoot that all day if I had the ammo.

Thanks for the welcome!

OldMan! I'm a little late getting to this, apologies!

I love the Springer 1911! I have a Springer 1911 A1 LightWeight Loaded with aluminum frame! My favorite handgun hands down!

I like the Judge too, though have never fired one, I would like to someday and try it out! My daughter shhoots alot of the .410 PD loads that were designed for the Judge and the like, for instance, alot of 000 and 00 buck HD/SD in 2 1/2" and 3" loads. The interesting part is that they shoot and pattern really well from a 24" fixed full choke Mossy 500!

Good havin you here on MO!!!

Back