• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

HELP! 930 SPX Blackwater FTE Issue w/Pics

Hello fellas. I've been having a Failure to Extract issue with my 930 SPX Blackwater. I've only shot it twice since I bought it new from Bob's Guns in Norfolk, VA. The first time, I figured it was because it was new and I was shooting 2-3/4" #7 & #8 Birdshot (even though everybody said 930's were like Mikey and would eat anything).

Took it to the range again the other day and I ran some 3" slugs which seemed to run alright, then some 3" 00-Buck which reproduced the problem along with some 2-3/4" 00-Buck that also Failed to Extract.

What's happening is the spent shell will be half way out of the breech with the next round pulled fully out of the mag tube. What's interesting is that in all failures, the bolt was completely locked to the rear which (to me) doesn't sound like a shell pressure/velocity issue. That sounds like an extractor issue.

I broke the gun down for some exploration to try to diagnose the issue and took some photos. Maybe you guys can help.

Here's one inside the chamber of some scratches that were there when I bought it. Obviously just cosmetic from careless insertion of the barrel by the manufacturer I'm assuming.
IMG_0468.JPG

Below is some more marring I think from hasty barrel insertion. There's no indication on top of the bolt that this marring is caused by cycling.
IMG_0469.JPG

I did notice what looks like some impact happening on the bottom left corner of the bolt face that you can see catching light in this pic below.
IMG_0465.JPG

The bolt face again with the bolt sitting on the slide. The slide doesn't interfere and didn't cause the impact. I can't see anything that is causing this. There's no damage inside the chamber where the bolt comes forward.
IMG_0466.JPG

And finally, here's a pic of my extractor. It looks nice and sharp, not broken or rounded off that I can see. When working it manually, it seems to work smoothly and doesn't stick out or anything.
IMG_0467.JPG

If you guys can't see anything obviously wrong with my gun, I'm going to send it back to Mossberg and let them mess with it. I'd appreciate any observations you guys might make. Also if you'd like me to take other pics of something you maybe can't see, let me know and I'll do it.

I'm a stickler for reliable weapons and I bought this one because of what seemed like unanimously positive reviews. Right now, I don't trust this gun with my life and that's exactly what I bought it for.

BTW, it is pretty dirty in these pics and for that I apologize. I shot it right after Christmas and have been at sea most of January since then and haven't had time to clean it.

Hey Hobo -

I also have a Blackwater 930 SPX, which I purchased in 11/13. I had a few cycling problems with mine when new until I joined the forums and started to do some good reading which these members always provide..........

So you say you've only shot it twice. You have the right idea using slugs breaking it in, continue using the heavier loads. I think I went through about 150-200 1600ft/sec slugs before I started using the lighter stuff. After that, I had no problems with the 1,200 ft/sec target and bird loads. To this day, it still cycles them like a boss.

One thing I learned here is that the key to reliable cycling in the SPX's is keeping the gas system (piston components and barrel gas port) AND the mag tube clean. I use a green scouring pad with a light solvent to remove carbon deposits from the mag tube and keep it as slick as a baby's a_ _. I also learned early on that my Blackie just loves the Frog Lube treatment. No cycling problems since I discovered that formula.

From the pics you posted, I don't see anything visibly abnormal with your unit. Yeah, clean it up good, and if you continue having problems, I'd contact Joe Zahker at Maverick Arms (his email address is posted all over the forum).........he's a real prince who keeps the members' Mossies in good running order!

Back