• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Help Please

so im turning 15 on the 29th my dad said i could get a shot gun and i do competitve shooting with the 4h (keep in mind i have been using a rem. model 11 12ga from the 30's(so weight is not a problem)) and i was thinking about geting a mossberg 590 A1 #51660 and sticking a full choke in it to make up for the lost 8 -10 inches in barrel and i aslo would like to get this shotgun because i would like to use it as home deffence has any one tryed skeet,trap and other shotgun sports with this model?

well its like trap and skeet and rabbit clays pigeions teal just lots of sporting clays some practices i go through more then 250 shots and the rem model 11 keeps over heating to the point of not always functioning properly

HI! Welcome to Mossberg Owners!!! Happy Birthday, the 590A1 would be an awesome gift!

I have the same model, I shoot clays, though not competitively. I do however bird hunt with it, during bird season there isnt a limit to the shells you can have loaded unless you overlap a waterfowl area too.

You would of course have to have the gun threaded for the chokes, but not too big a deal, I could easily see addin that at least!

I put a short length of pull stock on mine and shoot birds the same as I do when I practice targets as if it were home defense. The weight of the gun, the shorter stock and some barrel work have made it a pleasure to shoot!

So to answer your questions;
I think its a fine firearm, couldnt be happier with mine and would certainly recommend it.
While I dont do too much sport shooting, I shoot clays, target, pick off individual clays with 00 buck, and kill birds which go on the table and we eat em. Because theyre tasty. And it gets crazy looks when other people see me carrying it in the field. But who wants to be like everyone else anyway? :D

thanks and i thought about the remington model 870 express magnum but all the 870's (besides marinecote) have a nasty habbit of rusting and since im the type of person who likes to plan for unexpected events say the gun being tied to a veichle then being draged behind a truck because the tail gate failed also i will say that mossbergs ordering replacement parts suck go to ithacagun.com then go to the online store and go to internal parts does mossberg have a service like this? agin i try to plan on things breaking im just some times destroying objects acedentally prone does the gun have a forgiving finish or am i going to have to duracoat it

Just for clay use I wouldn’t go with it but that is just me. Also the length of the barrel doesn’t really equate to greater distances so threading for a choke wont compensate for a short barrel.…..talkin legal lengths so below 18 inches IDK. The length of the barrel is more for the swing speed and feel. You say you are doing it competitively so I would look at a competition style gun or at least a gun not designed for combat, you will be rewarded with lighter weight and a better balanced gun. You’re not too hard on them or your current gun from the 30’s wouldn’t stand a farts chance in a whirlwind. One of my best clay guns is a Winchester 1300 semi with a poly choke worth no more than 200 bucks .

If you weren’t doing it competitively that the sky is the limit but that’s not the case here.

no no its a 4h program and i cant compete after age 18 so i would rather have an all porpose shot gun that will last me and i get 38's out of 40 with a very very very old model 11 but i need something more reliable and my parents are devorsed i sleep in the gun room when im at my moms (i switch between houses every day) so haveing something i can defend my family with is important and when i move out i will most likely have to live some were with cheap rent and as far as the economy is going i will probably need something that will not fail me in my time of need

well ok, your looking for a do all. A plain jane 500 will do everything you want for less cash, unless cash isnt a worry. Sounds like you got a lot on your plate so be careful have fun.....be 15.

If you want chokes, you may do well to go with a field model like an 835 already threaded for accu-choke. Maybe a 24" barrel, vent rib and add some 3 dot fiber optics.

The magazine is identical to the 590, so for comp, you could add an extension.

I like the parkerized 590A1, but I'd say the finish is like any other. It will rust if not taken care of. That said, I havent cleaned mine since just before bird season last fall and it hasnt rusted to pieces and still operates flawlessly. We were most recently out shooting 2 weeks ago I think.

The 835's can be had in camo which may be more similar to a duracoat finish. My LGS has one used right now I've been eyeballin for I wanna say right around $200.

Olis right, thats some big responsibilty already youre shouldering. Make a list of "must haves" in a gun. Choke tubes? Extended or ability to extend magazine? Barrel length? Finish? How much time will you put into cleaning it?

Man, we'll be here to help as much as we're able and answer as many questions as you can ask. We'll get ya figured out! ;)

i didnt mean to put the divorse situation like that i sleep in the gun room my step dad is like 55 and is a hevy sleeper we dont neecisarliy live in a bad nabor hood but i do have a little brother who sleeps in the room across from me and well i like to prepare for murpghy and his brother trubble and i see what you are saying how ever i do fire the shot gun alot has anyone here tryed 535? and which is beter for an all pupose do it all shot gun 535 or 835

"Which is better" is debatable and philosophical.

Each shotgun has nearly identical abilities. Most of the differences come down to workmanship, or even just the manufacturers name in some cases. Customer service may play a role in deciding. Some guns will legitimately function smoother, and for some individuals, the placement of controls like the slide release and safety are important.

I couldnt say in the case of the 535 vs 835. I feel I know only somewhat more about the 835, and if I were to choose right now, it would be the 835 because I like the magazine tube. As far as I know the barrels are overbored and I cant remember what shot isnt supposed to be used in those because I really dont know that much about it.

There are a few guys on here that could tell you more and it may be worth askin about in the 835 section.

must haves:
5+1 or more
20 inch barrel min 24inch barrel max
easy to get to mag reciving area
small amount of parts
able to shoot 1000 or more rounds with no problems
tryed and true design
able to take a 3 magnum
wants
durricoat
easy part replacment
able to take apart and put back together in the dark
and of corse all metal parts
able to take a 3-1/2 magnum

what can happen to a gun will most likely happen to a gun at some point-John Browning

Back