• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Honady Light Magnum 2 3/4" 12 ga. 00 Buck

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Gold star to the first person to identify the shot wad. Theres a good reason the Hornady TAP LE Light Magnum 2 3/4" 12 ga. 00 Buck isnt a true "2 3/4" hull, just like most other Hornady 12 ga. loads. Theyre actually stamped 67.5mm rather than 70mm.

100_6414Small.jpg

100_6421Small.jpg

100_6436Small.jpg

The LE "Light Magnum" was designed to be not a "low recoil" but a lower recoil load to cycle popular LE (law enforcement) inertia driven semi-auto 12 ga.'s. The only video I have of it is in the review vid I did for the Hogue short LOP stock and VCS 590A1. I'll link it here, but I'm not gonna embed the video here as it isnt a true or proper review of patterns at set ranges. The pattern still looked pretty good to me at 10 yards, though it was 8 shots all on the same target.

I'll get the part number and ballistic info up as soon as I'm able. Have a few honey-do's to get taken care of...

Really? No one recognizes the wad?

I'll give you a hint.

flitecontrol-wad-78555266.jpg

Its a small pic, but I wanted yall to see that it really truly is the same proprietary wad as the Fed FC.

Its no secret Hornady uses the FC wad labled as the "VersaTite" wad, BUT!!! what isnt well known is that the same wad is used with the Light Magnum as well, not just the low recoil law enforcement blue hull 00 buck and the Critical Defense full power black hull 00 buck.

So what does it really mean?

Well, it means if you can get your hands on the Light Magnum, theyre generally less expensive, but other wise ballistically identical to the Critical Defense. 12 ga. 2 3/4" 8 pellet 00 buck, 1600 FPS.

Theres less advertising in the TAP LE Light Magnum. Critical Defense is an advertising campaign and packaging. However, to satisfy my own curiosity I'd like to repeat the same testing I did with the Critical Defense. THEN! I can say theyre identical! ;)

Rossignol, Out.

Back