• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hornady TAP vs Hornady Critical Defense 00 buckshot

Tony617!

.270 WIN
I bought a few boxes of TAP FPD 12 gauge 00 buckshot. How does it compare to Hornady Critical Defense 00 buckshot? I've fired 50 rounds of critical defense but I have not fired TAP shot shells.

I don't really care for critical defense shells since the muzzle flash is really bright. Does TAP use the same powder as critical defense?

Hornady is some very high quality ammunition. I'm glad you can find some these days!

The TAP Light Magnum is 8-pellet 1428-fps w/ a standard wad (expands/patterns wider)

The Tap Reduced Recoil is 8-pellet 991-fps w/ a standard wad (expands/patterns wider) **

The Critical Defense is 8-pellet 1500ish-fps and has a Versatite Wad similar to the FliteControl Wad and it patterns tighter than the TAP shell construction.

** - Strongly DO NOT recommend such a low velocity buckshot load for personal protection except for extremely limited circumstances. Additionally, it will not reliably cycle in most semi-auto shotguns.

I'm quite intrigued by your experiences with muzzle flash. That is something not often encountered.

Have fun and shoot safely.

The shells are orange hulls and say 1600fps and are safe to shoot from a pump or a semi-auto shotgun. I guess these are older shells since there is no mention of a VersaTite wad on the boxes.

Yep, the orange is the TAP Light Magnum.

Hornady literature states that the 1600-fps data was from a 30" test barrel, but that in real firearms with 18.5" barrels it averages around 1428-fps.

And my post didn't say that the TAP has a VersaTite wad.

Good stuff.

Back